Yeah, baby, yeah! Austin Powers 4 is a go

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by timmoishere, Aug 13, 2011.

1. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    From cinemablend.com

Believe it or not, I actually remember a time in my life when I actually looked forward to Mike Myers movies. Growing up on Saturday Night Live during the mid-90s and watching movies like Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, Wayne's World and So I Married an Axe Murderer, I legitimately thought that Myers was one of the best comedic actors out there. Then the last decade happened. The many has spent the last year making nothing but sequels and awful original movies like The Love Guru, View From The Top and The Cat In The Hat. The only good thing he has done recently was Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds, and that was really just an exposition-laced cameo. Sadly, it doesn't seem like Myers has any desire to get his career back on the right path.

HitFix has learned that the Canadian comedian has closed a deal that will see him star in Austin Powers 4. There is no director attached to the project as of yet, but one has to imagine that the studio would be interested in bringing back Jay Roach, who directed all three previous films. The character hasn't appeared in a film since 2002's Austin Powers in Goldmember, which received middling reviews from critics and the role will be Myers' first live action part since The Love Guru, which was panned across the board.

This is just sad. Much like Eddie Murphy, I think Myers actually still has the capacity to be funny, but has gotten to a point where he realizes that he doesn't actually have to try in order to rake in the cash. To be honest, I'm surprised that it's taken this long for him to officially sign on and for the project to be put in motion as Goldmember made more money domestically than any other film in the franchise. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go stock up on earplugs so that I can drown out the sound of people trying to bring back, "Yeah, baby! Yeah!"

2. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    Not overly interested - I enjoyed the films (the 1st is a complete blast), but felt they were becoming progressively less and less with each sequel. The fact that it's been nearly a decade since the last one also strikes me as being done more for the money than anything new for the character.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    He's not the only comedy actor to decline in recent years, Jim Carrey has made a movie about Penguins for goodness sake and it's been a while since Eddie Murphy did much of note. Ben Stiller is about the only guy still doing funny movies, Owen Wilson is hit-and-miss these days too.

I don't think I'll watch it, depends on the general reception it gets.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Wasn't Mike Myers threantened with a lawsuit by MGM if he made another Austin Powers movie?
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, in Jim's defense, he apparently chose the Penguin movie not out of career decline or need of money, but because he really likes penguins.

But, yeah, at this point it's obvious AP4 is happening only because Myers bombed out with The Love Guru.
  6. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV - Vacationing and stuff

Manager
    star 5
    Eh, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I liked the first two a lot and the third was just good for laughs. Maybe Myers will follow the example of Harold & Kumar and take it to 3D. With all the 4th-wall-breaking in the others one can just imagine the fun they can have with 3D.
  7. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Seeing Austin's teeth in 3D would be epic.
    [image=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph8V052fCNE/TFIEy6_vJ4I/AAAAAAAAJcg/KEBq5-dA798/s1600/powersteeth.jpg]
  8. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    =D=
  9. Gonk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh good God, no.

The first one was ok. I saw the second one and it was absolute CRAP.
  10. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Second one wasn't too bad, third one was a clear cashgrab. Will it still be called "For Your Thighs Only"?
  11. duende Force Ghost

star 5
  12. Gonk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm sorry, the second film had an extended sequence surrounding the concept of a fat man taking a dump, and the implication of someone drinking excrement. I don't like to think of myself as a prude -- I thought "There's Something About Mary" was a great comedy -- but that crap was just dumb: no pun intended.

I watched it with my then-girlfriend, and became quickly embarrassed for having suggested renting the movie. I didn't bother with the third one after that.
  13. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    From memory, the only things I liked about the 3rd film were a) the objects blocking out the subtitles and making amusing phrases, and b) Michael Caine (which also involved a hilarious bit of subtitling as well). Oh, and the opening with Tom Cruise as Austin Powers and Gwyneth Paltrow as Dixie Normous (amongst others). :p The rest was a miss though.
  14. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    John Travolta as Goldmember...

And now the main villain will be Scott Evil, as Dr Evil and Mini Me are good.

I like Mini Me.
  15. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Did they have to kill off Liz Hurley?
  16. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    If they do do "For Your Thighs Only", it makes me wonder if they'll send up "Nobody Does It Better"

Wait, wrong Bond movie. But they still haven't parodied the song and it's one of the best known Bond songs.
  17. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I watched part of Austin Powers 3 yesterday on cable, and noticed that they used a clip of Michael Caine, from Alfie, in a flashback. I'd never noticed that before.

That is all.
  18. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "For Your Thighs Only" is too witty. They'll call it "Thunderballs" :p
  19. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Just how bad is 'The Love Guru'? I remember when Mike Myers was a bankable star and now no one wants to touch him.I have to imagine that it was exceptionally dumb
  20. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I haven't seen it, but the reviews were dire.
  21. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    [image=http://static-l3.blogcritics.org/09/08/01/109703/lovegurunewtrailer.jpg]

If they're as bas as tha moustache...
  22. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Note: They *are* calling it "Thunderballs"(!)