Yeah, right....

Discussion in 'Literature' started by neimoidian_85, Jun 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jastermereel Jedi Master

star 4
    The following...in compliance(why i don't know) with neimoidian_85's request on this first page of this topic to add IMHO to any negative posts shall begin as such...

IMHO:
    Just getting back from posting at the "Speculation on Heir to The Empire" topic where neimoidian_85...you yourself just posted a rather short, pointless and spiteful message to those enjoying themselves quite peacefuly there...care to explain yourself?...Especialy considering your comment about "when someone has a over the edge negative opinion"...i'd like to hear an explaination for your short(at six words short doesn't seem to be a matter of opinion, while this may be up for debate) and seemingly (IMHO) purposeless post (unless you've resorted to flaming and are just trying to get a rise out of myself and other posters) over there...
  2. ImperialGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree with Barns and Adi that you have to express your dislike. However, I don't agree that I have to accept every opinion as equally valid. If you don't back up your opinion, logically and rationally, and you're not venting in the appropriate place (like, say, The Hater Community?) then I will challenge you on it.

There's one thing I really don't like, and that is personal attacks on authors. Some of them aren't here to defend themselves. Just being an anonymous screen name doesn't give you the right to libel people you don't even know.
  3. I-poodoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it all comes down to careless wording.

If you write something to the effect of "I hate such and such." then it denotes a strong dislike toward it.

If you write "I love such and such." then it denotes a strong liking toward it.

But people no longer stick to those denotations in their vocabulary anymore. They use love and hate far too much and too flippantly, now-a-days.

They ride elevators and say "God, I hate elevator music." When that is not wholly true. If they hated elevator music they'd be ripping out the speakers and smashing them to pieces like a Yuzhan Vong.

No the correct wording would be "I dislike elevator music." That denotes displeasure toward the subject you do not care for, but not strong enough displeasure to go completely berserk over it.

So everyone try to be mindful of the words you choose when writing your replies, and perhaps we'll be able to get around this flaming problem from people who do not fully understand your meaning because of poor word choice.
  4. neimoidian_85 Jedi Master

star 4
    The reason I didn't put 'IMO' or 'IMHO' in front of my post about this forum dying is because I wasn't stating an opinion, I was stating a sad fact.
  5. jastermereel Jedi Master

star 4
    With the exception of medical diagnosis (and not always even then)...dying is a vauge term and in this case esspecialy an opinion...also holding the status of an opinion is the adjective sad in the context sad fact...which it is not...while i agree that it is dying or perhaps just in a rut...it is not a fact...it is merely a shared opinion......
  6. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, nemoidian_85, that is hypocritical of you.

Adi, thank you :) Of course, the pleasure is always mine ;)
  7. neimoidian_85 Jedi Master

star 4
  8. jastermereel Jedi Master

star 4
    Where do you get off declaring that every half-baked idea of yours is fact? Are we to belive that you are some sort of all knowing deity?...or at the very least some sort of genius?...to quote the title of your topic...Yeah, right......

i'm heading out for two weeks and so most likely won't be able to post...so i ask all of you in this topic and in this post to keep tabs on this arrogant fool and to keep him in line...
  9. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, there's no need to flame, but I agree that neimodian_85's arguement has lost much of it's credibility.
  10. neimoidian_85 Jedi Master

star 4
    Let me restate it...this forum is half as enjoyable as it used to be.

And actually, I've only declared one of my ideas a fact, that is the one stated above (This forum is not half as enjoyable as it used to be).

People like you Master Flamerod jaster mereel, are partially what started stinking up the forum.
  11. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You call him Flamerod, and yet you accuse him of 'stinking up the forum' Pot calls the kettle black, methinks.

This thread serves no purpose anymore. It can only contribute to what nemoidian_85 is complaining about. Ironic, wouldn't you say? I recommend it be locked before it completely degenerates into a flame war.

nemoidian_85, if you think things are so bad, why don't you create a new thread with an interesting topic? Perhaps then you can help solve the problem rather than adding to it.
  12. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I 'personally' left the forum because things here were becoming a bit negative, assuming a disavowing style of writing that often focused on the simple discussion/argument formula of bashing and gushing.
    It is something that isn't just happening in this forum but on most Star Wars Forums that draw large groups of attention to new products and story lines.
    It is common for a user to post in a forum and then look to those who generate large discussion in the forum and emulate that user.
    It doesn't quite matter if the user is kind and friendly or stark and outspoken, they will pick up the vogue method that seems to suit what they view themselves as when they come to the Jedi Council to discuss.

Some have made their Jedi Council life into a typical success story from stating an opinion that is based upon an inundation of attitude.
    It 'puts people in their places' and elates a person to see a type of power over something.
    To articulate a matter and at the same time hold power in that.
    They see that their strong words shut people up and if that works for their discussion skill then why not continue it?
    Why rely on actual facts and opinions and sentence structure and actual writing ability?

Instead of being a person and viewing what others do for work, what they see as a creative story they decide to discard the benevolent attitude and go for something with more bite.
    They don't need to be altruistic people because this forum is for stating your opinion in the way you want it to be taken, period.
    Tactful discussion? Ha!
    Genuine denomination? Bah!
    Persuasion? Why discuss when all you need to do is speak loudly and throw your weight around?

So, I took a sabbatical from this forum so to speak.
    I often do that when I find the climate becoming a little warm.

I myself have learned that kindness and solicitous discussion is something I need to work at.
    At the drop of a hat I throw my skill away and drop the words, throwing my thoughts on a pedestal I simply look at my post for face value.
    Everyone in the world needs to exercise a little kindness here and there, because with each day we grow much more self-righteous and opinionated.
    Yet, when the discussion is over and your point taken through hypercritical means who will be left to hear your opinion?
    Who would even want to in the future?
    Equality is inherited in our lack of perfection, and we seem to have lost that over the ages as we grow in skill and ability.

All it takes is 'In my personal opinion' to keep the discussion going.

edit: Looks like I arrived a little late then..

13. wampa Force Ghost

star 4
    The bandwagon has always been a problem here. IMO DARKSABER WAS A FINE NOVEL with a movie character death, Hutt schemings, a powerful superweapon, clones, & Jedi action, all components of NJO & the prequels. But I did not favor the JA trilogy as much, or some of KJA's comics.

The problem is, users come here and see messages like "KJA sucks" and "Ban Hambly" and they try to fit in. IMHO, threads that state an opinion in the title should either be in EU Community if the author's intent is a group consensus, or the thread should have a nonpartisan title so that the issue can actually be debated.

As for the lack of fun, I agree that fun posts have been discouraged here. I can't think of much more to say so I will stop typing.
  14. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    I left here myself for a bit for two reasons. First, I was a tad bit busy with stuff in the real world. The second reason was I didn't enjoy being around here anymore. At first it was because I thought everybody was way too PC for my tastes. I'm the kind of fellow who looks at tact and then throws it out the window. But, after giving it some thought, being civil is a better road to walk. I keep my tactless side out of the forum. Things here don't seem quite as bad as when I left, but I have the feeling it wouldn't take much to tip it back into the muck.
    As to the lack of interesting posts and threads that has been mentioned, maybe it's just a rut. I myself refrain from posting in certain threads. There are just some posters I don't particulary care to have on my back, to put it bluntly. And I also believe that some folks take themselves just a wee bit too seriously for a discussion forum.

So, you'll see me post in this thread or that thread, and it'll probably have some attempt at humor in it. That's what I do I suppose. I try and lighten things up,any way I can.
  15. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  16. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.