main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Years between the 6 movies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The_JediMaster, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_JediMaster

The_JediMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2002
    I have always been unclear about the length of time between ESB and ROTJ. It seems like at the end of ESB, Lando and Chewie are on their way to Jabba's Palace to rescue Han. When I was a kid I thought ROTJ took place the next day. I'm still unclear of the exact length of time between the 2 movies.

While i'm on the topic, What are the lengths of time between all of the movies? This is what I see:

TPM - ATOC - 10 years
    AOTC - EP III - 2 years
    EP III - ANH - 20 years
    ANH - ESB - 2 years
    ESB - ROTJ - I can't guess.

Who knows the real time spans?

2. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    I think between AOTC and Ep3 its about 3 or 4 years, and about 16 to 17 years from Ep3 to ANH. How long does it take to build a deathstar? if we knew the length of time it takes to build a fully operational Deathstar it may be easier to determine time between Ep2 and Ep4

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Ok, here is the official timeline:

-32 BSW4 The Phantom Menace
    -22 BSW4 Attack of the Clones
    -20 BSW4 Episode III
    Year 0 A New Hope
    +3 ASW4 The Empire Strikes Back
    +4 ASW Return of the Jedi

BSW4 = Before Star Wars Epiosde 4
    ASW4 = After Star Wars Episode 4

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Luke and Leia are 19 in ANH, from what I´ve heard, so EpIII should take place 3 years after AOTC.
    It´s never said in the films how old they are, though, so....

5. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    There is 3 years between Ep2 and 3.

6. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    I've always heard that Luke and Leia were 18 in ANH, and that Episode III takes place two years after AOTC. But now there's this "real time" thing, so I'm no longer certain of Episode III's date, but I'm still pretty sure Luke and Leia were 18 in ANH.

7. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    Yah that's wat I thought, they were like 17 or 18 because I heard somewhere that they were around 21 at the end of the trilogy so that would mean there are 2 or 3 yrs between ANH and ESB its about a year in between ESB and ROTJ.. I think lol

8. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    I got almost 50 years from GL's interveiw... He said the timeline through the whole saga was about 40-50 years total. Due to the unknown information about the time length between EpsIV-VI I say its closer to 40 something years maybe.

So do the Math.

TPM to AOTC = 10 years
    AOTC to EpIII = 3 years
    EpIII to ANH = 20 years

9. DARTH_ZELIG

DARTH_ZELIG Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2002
    The Gatherer has the correct timeline. And as far as Luke's age, I have always assumed he is twenty (though I know some sources claim he is 18).

On the back of the novel for the original "Star Wars," it reads:

"Luke Skywalker was a twenty-year-old who lived and worked on his uncle's farm on the remote planet of Tatooine ..."

The novel of "The Empire Strikes Back" backs his 20 as well. On page 2:

"... although barely twenty-three years old, he was addressed as Commander Skywalker by other Rebel warrior ... .

and

"Luke, himself, found it hard to believe that only three years ago he was a wide-eyed farm boy on his home world of Tatooine."

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Seems like you´re right there. 20 years he is!

11. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Heres what i always thought

TPM-AOTC 10 years
    AOTC-EP3 2 years
    EP3-ANH 18 years
    ANH-ESB 3 years
    ESB-ROTJ 1 year

I think that's what it says on the official timeline.

12. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    Darth-Vengence: your timeline wouldnt work because then TPM would only take place 30 years before ANH, and GL has made it very clear that its a span of 32 years. the gatherer has the right timeline. :)

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Yeah, Lucas always said TPM plays 32 years before ANH.

14. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002

Axl.

15. OBI-GYN_Kenobi

OBI-GYN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    32 years?

The back of my video from TPM says it takes place "thirty years" before ANH.

Whatever though....

I have always been unclear about the length of time between ESB and ROTJ. It seems like at the end of ESB, Lando and Chewie are on their way to Jabba's Palace to rescue Han. When I was a kid I thought ROTJ took place the next day. I'm still unclear of the exact length of time between the 2 movies.

I swear, I was going to come up here & post the same thing.......

The one thing I can't understand is this:

ESB ends with Lando & Chewie flying off to rescue Han, correct?

Then, C3PO says to R2D2 in ROTJ, 'Chewbacca & Lando never came back (from Jabba's palace)."

We all know what happens next.....
    They get Han, kill Jabba, & "meet at the rendevous point. The fleet should be assembling by now."
    OK?

Then, we see the whole gang back together as the plans for attacking the Death Star are being laid out by the rebels......

So my question is:

How did Lando get to be a general?
    While he was hiding at Jabba's palace?
    Where & when did this 'Battle of Tenev' take place & how did Lando manage to find time to get involved in the Rebellion?

Even if Lando found time, how did frozen Captain Solo get promoted to General Solo when he wasn't around the Rebels at all?

A thought?
    Anyone?

16. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    I too will back up The Gatherer.

The whole saga is to take place over 36 years. (I believe I read that in a T.V. Guide last year.)

So, if you have Ep.I at 32 years before Ep.IV, and Ep.VI 4 years after Ep.IV, and you add the two, you get 36!

The only thing that throws off timeline is the age of Luke and Leia. Some references say they are 18 in Ep.IV, and some say they are 20. As soon as we find out how many years there are between Ep.II and Ep.III, we should be able to have an official age.

Currently, the timeline in the novels has it as 2 years apart, making the twins 20. I tend to believe that timeline, but I have seen a timeline where it takes place 4 years after Ep.II, which would make them 18.

I guess we will just have to wait a little longer for an official timeline.

Latre! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.