main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

years between the films?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by starwarsofthesouth, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarsofthesouth

starwarsofthesouth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    How many years are between the beginning of Episode IV until the end of Epiosde VI. It seems that there is probably more years between IV and V, than they are between V and VI. Also, one thing that has bugged me is how quick it took for Luke to use the force. In TESB, he could not lift a space ship, and by VI, he could use mind control.

2. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    if I remember correctly it's 2 years between ANH and ESB and one year between ESB and RotJ. So by RotJ he's had quite a bit of time to practice, and I think the training on Dagobah, both before and after he tried to lift the X-Wing is quite a bit longer than it appears on screen.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I think Lucas has said that Luke spends three or four mothns training under Yoda.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    About 3 years between ANH and ESB, less than a year between ESB and ROTJ, for about 4 years total for the trilogy.

5. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Yeah, every SW timeline I've ever seen places ANH and ESB three years apart, and ESB and ROTJ one year apart. And it's generally believed that ESB takes place over a few months.

6. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    The main problem with ESB and how long the movie is lies in the action with Han/Leia/Chewbacca/C3PO, we can understand everything else, it just seems like they are hiding from the Empire for only five days or so max.

7. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Yeah, just watching the movie, it seems like everything just takes a few days or so. But I think it would take a few months to travel to Bespin at sublight speed.

8. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    In the Novelization it says that it took over a year for Han/Leia/Chewbacca/Threepio to get to Bespin

9. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Wha? *whips out novel* There's no reference that I can see. ESB coverd 3-4 months, give or take a little. That's enough time to cover most of the lessons we see Yoda give Luke, and to give time for Han and crew to travel to Bespin. Taking a year long trek through the galaxy would be too dangerous. They needed to find somewhere to get repairs and do it relatively fast.

Add to that the months between ESB and ROTJ, and it's about four years over the course of the saga.

As compared to the 13 years covered by the PT. :cool:

10. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I guess it depends on what a "year" means in the galaxy far, far away. ;)

11. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    I wish they showed 3 months better in the films. Like, give han a beard or something to show the time change. It'd be too conry to put a

3 Months Later

text on there, but maybe something a little more subtle like

Leia: 'Bespin?! That'd take over 3 months at sublight speed!'

Han: 'Would you rather walk, Princess?'

or something to that effect. Cause I just found out the 3 month thing a few weeks ago.

12. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Well,remember that Vader get on Bespin just before Falcon.And I dont thikn he would wait there several months,waiting fot Lukes arivall

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a few weeks, I believe, for the Falcon's journey to Bespin on a backup hyperdrive, and for Luke's Dagobah training.

14. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    ANH-(3 years)-ESB-(1 year)-ROTJ= 4 years total.

15. Maverick4101

Maverick4101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Geez and here I was thinking ESB covered 2 hours.

P.S. Quite possibly the worst joke I have ever said.

16. tessasolo

tessasolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    maybe GL didint want a to display sense of time seeing as how all these kinds of questions would pop up and then the question between earth time and galaxy far far away time. it would be all to complicated.

17. RDaneel

RDaneel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2005
    Lucas has always maintaned that it take about 10 years to get through the OT (which he reiterates on the DVD set).

I don't know where people get the 3-4 years thing from. Then again Lucas contradicts himself a lot so I wouldn't be suprised if he had given drastically different figures over the years.

18. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    rdaneel

you cant just speak for lucas without references....

all known timelines have it as 3 years between movies.

granted those sources are all EU... but we have nothing else to go off.

19. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You're the first person I've ever seen mention that Lucas believes the timeline is 10 years for the OT. And I've seen so many of these timeline threads I want to gouge my eyes out at times. But I digress. Even if thats what Lucas believes, thats not what the official timeline says.

20. Tyronnus

Tyronnus Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    did it really take a year for luke to get around to rescuing his closest human friend? if it did would't han be quite upset about him taking his time?

21. RDaneel

RDaneel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2005
    >>>you cant just speak for lucas without references....<<<

The quotes are out there, I'm not going to dig them up for you.

Go watch your DVD set with the commentaries on and watch the special features. He destinctly states that it takes about ten years to get through the OT.

22. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Lucas meant it took him ten years to get through the OT, considering he started writing in the early seventies.

23. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    At the end of ESB, Lando says he will let Luke know when they find Han and the bounty hunter. It probably took them a while to find him and then get a plan together to rescue him. :)

24. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    *pulls out her most recently published novel* The EU has it at four years. Using ANH as point "0," it references ESB at 3 years, the inter-trilogy novel Shadows of the Empire at 3.5 years (which supports the idea that ESB took place over the course of several months), and ROTJ at 4 years later. Since the EU is fairly accurate with its dates, I'm going to trust it.

And for reference's sake, the novel is Tatooine Ghost, which was published in 2003.

Well,remember that Vader get on Bespin just before Falcon.And I dont thikn he would wait there several months,waiting fot Lukes arivall

Someone came up with a fairly good explanation for that: Boba Fett, being an intelligent business man, chose to relate the location of the MF only after he had figured out where they were going, and only when the Empire needed to know so he could make sure he wasn't gypped out of his bounty.

25. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I don't know how long between ANH and ESB, but I always thought it was about 3.5 years between ESB abd ROTJ. I may be wrong. They need to come out with a new timeline

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.