main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

yellowing of loose modern figs; advice pls

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by khairul_azwan, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khairul_azwan

khairul_azwan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    ive recently unpacked my loose figures from moving and noticed that the white figures have started to yellow, which i didnt noticed prior to packing when the ywere still displayed. i dont harbor any hopes of restoring them back to their pristine white selves, but any advice on how to prevent further deterioration would be much appreciated. the condition of the packing are as so:

- i overlooked to individually seal them in baggies; theyre basically all lumped into a kino plastic bag and were stored inside cardboard boxes.
    -i paid attention however to put the box away from windows, in a store room. tho my house is not fully air-condition, i dont smoke either.
    -so i guess the biggest mistake i made was putting al the figures together inside a single plastic bag which was not sealed (i just folded the top and put it inside the box)

keep in mind that my collection is only about a year old, so im surprised that theyve deteriorated so fast.

any advice on cleaning em (theyre dusty)? can i just use a damp cloth?

thank for reading.

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Sorry that happend to you man,Some things I'd suggest are,

-Go ahead and put them in seperate bags,they'll probably stay better that way.

-Keep them away form flouresent lights,and sunlight.

And also,I think a damp cloth would work to dust the figures with,just as long as it's not a figure with a lot a detailed paint,or the paints already chiped on it.

Hope this helps you! :)

3. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    I would definatly single bag them in the future. they sell snack sized ziplock baggies that work great.

I live in colorado which is a dusty place,so as far as cleaning them goes. I use a soft bristle tooth brush water and mild soap with no side effects. the tooth brush helps to keep the detail clean and free from build up. just remeber to rinse them very good.

4. khairul_azwan

khairul_azwan Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    feednback muc appreciated.

its not really that big a deal actually. theyre easily replaceable and the extent is not that extreme. im just surpised they deteriorated relatively fast considering they werent exposed to sunlight.

still, i believe the quality of the plastic has something to do with it e.g. the clone pilot is affected less so; the armor plastic is different/superior then say preview clone. factory padme's got it bad too.

5. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Sorry that happened, it's never happened to me or i could give you more advice. Were all the figs new?

I once took Anakin's face from the cardboard stand that the Ep1 VSH & DVD's were sold in and put it in my window so that sunlight could get on it, and everything faded but his eyes. It looks pretty cool.

6. data68

data68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    There just action figures people. I really don't care if mine show signs of aging. As a society, we are stuck in a rut. We are obsessed with reversing the aging proccess, so much so that it cosumes our lives. I think change is needed. FIGHT THE OPPRESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. data68

data68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    pay no atention to the above post. the person responsible has been sacked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.