main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yep, one more time - 2016 RMFF Council elections!

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by DieWompRatDie, Nov 3, 2014.

1. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    To quote the thread from last year...

The moment you've all been waiting for! Nominations are now officially open for being on the RMFF council. Anybody can be nominated and anybody can be trained/volunteer/volunteered. And, you don't need to say "Not it" unless somebody nominates you, unless you feel so moved...

Here are the descriptions with the job duties in relative order of importance

Chapter Representative (CR)
    This position was created by TFN to ensure that each city forum abides by the site's rules and regulations. An online and in-person position.

-Chair meetings and will work in conjunction with the other administrative positions to promote a productive and fun environment.
    -Schedule meetings and events and encourage participation by all members
    -Coordinates special events
    -Serve as spokesperson for the RMFF
    -Single point of contact for all Fan Force Forum issues.
    -Welcomes new members and provides all support for Fan Force Forum issues unless it requires escalation to the RSA.
    -The CR must ensure that all online forum communication follows the guidelines of TFN.
    -Handles communications and activities between RMFF and TFN.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Chapter Representativ (Co-CR)/Member-At-Large (MAL)
    -Step in if the CR is unable to attend a meeting.
    -Work with CR during special events, meetings, etc.
    -Help coordinate with other sci-fi groups in the region for activities, i.e. St. Patrick's Day parade, Starfest, Hauntings at the Hangar
    -Promote harmony among the groups and address any issues between the groups.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secretary/Historian (Secretarian)

-Records the minutes of each meeting, as well as the posting of all meeting minutes and any threads about sanctioned group activities on RMFF.net and the Facebook Page
    -If you can't make the meeting, finds somebody to take notes in his or her stead
    -Handles preparation for Official Meetings (Gathering topics from the members, securing meeting location)
    -Coordinates taking a group photo and posts with notes on RMFF.net and Facebook page.
    -Posts on Facebook about upcoming events and invites RMFF members.
    -Assists CR on an as-needed basis

Treasurer

-Maintains books of Club treasury, income, and expenditures.
    -Coordinates the monthly non-raffle and encourages people to bring items for said non-raffle
    -Responsible for safe-keeping of funds
    -Posts monthly financial report in the Treasury thread and at the meeting
    -Take donations for the cost of the website, t-shirt payments, and other activities.

Nominations are now open and will continue through the end of this month. We'll close them up on the 30th and then start voting on December 1st, with voting wrapping up at our December meeting...which will be whenever corran_r9 figures out a date.

We'll post voting details closer to December 1st. Thanks everybody for voting!

2. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
  3. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I accept the nomination for treasurer.

4. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I decline nomination for health reasons.

5. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Sorry to hear that, QHM. You did well in the position before.

I'll nominate thebreadnappa and thejackal327. Aka Geoffrey and Jackie! Good luck!

6. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I decline.....I have horrible grammar and spelling. Trust me it is not a position anyone wants me in. ;)

7. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Except for having too many periods in your ellipses, your post was pretty good! ;) And you spelled grammar right!

FanForced and catz44 like this.
  8. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
  9. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I second the nominations for SITH__CHICK, FanForced and Nerfherders. :D

(With no offense meant to thebreadnappa... it's simply that I don't think I know them, and so I can't comment one way or the other on their nomination.)

10. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
  11. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
  12. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    I'm kind of the thought that perhaps we should implement a system that worked well for one of the affiliate organizations at my last job. They had three positions of Secretary/Treasurer, VP and President. Somebody new would be nominated as Sec/Treas, the Sec/Treas would move up to be VP and the VP would move up into the President position. This allows somebody to gain experience moving up through the ranks and also provides some stability knowing who would be next in line. It also rewards somebody for sticking with it and knowing that you have a dedicated team helping you out.

I know it may be asking a bit much of some people, but it can also provide some long-range planning for the positions and the RMFF as a whole.

Just a thought...

13. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    That would pretty much guarantee I'd never run for anything again, but that's likely anyway.

he-guy likes this.
  14. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003

I can see some advantages to that system, as you point out. Gaining experience over time is always a good idea. However, I think the concept also has some implicit assumptions that might be drawbacks in some cases.

1) You're assuming that being put in charge of this group is a reward. [face_laugh]

2) It assumes that the same skill sets for one position apply to another, or that a given person would have a wide enough array of skills to do them all over time. I'm not sure that's always true. Someone might have the skills and desire to be secretary or treasurer, for example, but that doesn't mean they have the right skills to lead the group, or that they would want to lead the group. Likewise, someone might be a good organizer/leader, but not be interested in doing minutes or tracking the money. Which isn't to say there aren't people who could and would... but I think it would in effect narrow the pool of potential candidates.

Just points to consider...

QueenHighMistress likes this.
  15. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I love your first point T, very true.

It's also been suggested that we have 'terms', 3 years was brought up but I think 2 would be more in line to the commitment and have sub committees, like we do for the publications.

I second he-guy's nom. I think I will be too busy in 2015 to lead RMFF into such an exciting year.

16. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Being CR was rewarding when I did it, so I guess it's just your perspective, your delegating abilities/desires, and, generally, you get out of it what you put into it. Some parts were rough, yeah, but overall it's exciting to see what happens "behind the scenes" and to help shape this fan organization...that is run by fans! I think that's another thing that draws me to the RMFF as opposed to something like the 501st cause I feel like we have more freedom to do what we want. </.02> However, this isn't necessarily the place for that opinion/debate... Basically, what I'm saying is to not be afraid of being CR since you have a very supportive and understanding community here who is happy to help you out when you need it and the experience can be lots of fun.

Yeah, we did bring up the idea of longer terms, which would be handy since you could keep a person in that position once he or she has gained the knowledge needed to be effective. The flip side of that is that people are less likely to commit to the position if it requires a 2-year commitment. I think people are more likely to be okay with doing it a second or third year, when the initial commitment of just one year, IMHO. And, in case anybody missed it, at the last meeting we voted to stick with 1-year terms for all RMFF council positions.

And, yay for subcommittees! I know that sounds horrible, but delegating tasks and not stressing about who's going to do what will help us out a ton going forward.

17. zeraduel

zeraduel Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2011
    I'll accept nomination for Co-CR/Member-at-large.

18. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    [​IMG]
    I will formally accept the nomination for CR.

[​IMG]

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  19. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Last call for nominations! Going once...going twice...

20. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    I decline secretarian. Thanks for the nomination. I may be in mom mode during the meetings.

catz44 likes this.
  21. thebreadnappa

thebreadnappa RMFF Co-CR/Member-At-Large

Sep 14, 2012
    Regretfully, I have to decline both nominations. Clouded, the future is =)

22. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Sorry to hear that, Geoff.

23. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Final nominations

CR (Chapter Representative) - he-guy
    Co-CR/Member-At-Large - zeraduel
    Secretarian - thejackal327
    Treasurer - Nerfherders

Looks like our nominations are final! Umm...if you feel so inclined to vote, please do so by sending your ballot to me via PM/conversation.

I guess we'll make this official at the meeting on the 13th. Premature congratulations to all!

24. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    You have some very great points there, and yes it can be rewarding and I love being a part of RMFF and very proud to say I am.

So it looks like we have our 2015 officers, if anyone on that list wants to speak up on any issues they see, I say we don't need to vote. What do you guys think? You all have a great support staff and can reach out to me, JT, Grimby, and darth_hair at any time you need us we will be there.

Should I say congrats and change the election part of the Holiday meeting?

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  25. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Unless there's a massive write-in campaign for bamers or Chuck Norris, we have our officers via process of attrition!