main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "Yes, but he was an unarmed prisoner."

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015

Yes, I am familiar with Dark Disciple. And while TCW goes to great lengths to make us forget that the Separatists were perceived to be a viable alternative to the Republic, it doesn't really alter the outcome. By introducing the concept of a Separatist Parliament, which seems to very much believe in their leader, it seems all the more likely the Separatists would negotiate with the Republic.

The Council would never promise Dooku rest in exchange for information and then betray and execute him. That would be treacherous and ruthless (even by the questionable TCW-Jedi standards). And the Separatists would never sit idly by while the Republic executes their Head of State right after negotiations. No, I think Dooku would probably end up like Napoleon, in a relatively comfortable house arrest.

Davak24, Huttese 101 and DARTHLINK like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They wouldn't necessarily have to make promises of clemency when interrogating him.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  3. Defensor

Jun 23, 2015

Well, but that's somewhat understated in every prisoner interrogation, right? Why does anyone cooperate? To get a better outcome than if they did not cooperate. You don't execute the prisoner who's been cooperating

And Dooku would surely arrange a deal for himself. Especially if we're taking into consideration TCW-Dooku.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW-Mace, at least, would be against any kind of immunity deal.

5. Defensor

Jun 23, 2015

I would hope even TCW-Mace could see that between:

(a) Letting Dooku live and getting both the identity of the elusive Sith Lord and a road to Galactic Peace; and

(b) Executing Dooku out of spite and getting neither;

the former is a much better alternative.

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Dooku was a powerful Force user, but he still had limits as a human. While he handled losing his hands better than most, there was no way he was going to unleash some kind of barrage of Force attacks after that. The point was that he was beaten, and Anakin knew it.

Fun fact: Dooku was originally going to beg for his life from his master, but Christopher Lee argued against this, not seeing it in his character. His face tells the whole story, though. Once Palpatine prompts Anakin to kill Dooku, he pretty much knows he's not getting out of it.

7. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Great laugh line. Not sure if on purpose. Didn't care, after everything he'd been through at that point I figured, *shrug* let GL make all the bad dad jokes he wants and slam dunk this trilogy.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Less "spite" and more "Sith Lords are just too dangerous and evil to leave alive, and too untrustworthy to make deals with"

9. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm surprised that some say killing Dooku was no biggie. Vader in ROTJ was just as evil as him, and Luke sparing Vader's life is pretty universally seen as the best thing Luke could have done.

I thought Anakin killing Dooku (ominously using his and Dooku's own Sith saber) was where Anakin had started to sell his soul. It certainly cements his place as the new apprentice in Palpatine's mind, which should count for something.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If Luke and Vader stopped fighting after getting messed up like that, then Dooku would be the same way. Which is why Lucas was consistent with that on AOTC and ROTS.

11. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I agree for the first 2/3rds of this statement, but the last is definitely wrong. Anakin is extremely reluctant to kill Dooku. As you said, he knows he shouldn't. Yet Palpatine prods and encourages him. Anakin seems to be pretty easily manipulated, so he does it. Afterwords he still feels awful about it. Palpatine then tells him it was revenge. That's just another subtle Palpatine trick -- change the past version of events to suit the narrative Palpatine wants. Palpatine knows he's going to fan the flames of Anakin's revenge, so not only does he encourage Anakin to kill Dooku, but he links this with a shameful moment in Anakin's past with the Sand People. In other words he is tying this to Anakin's identity. This will be important for later when he seduces him to do awful things. But it's not the first time Palpatine plays with the facts. He does it after Padme's death too, to indicate to Anakin that he killed Padme. Again, it's a distortion of the truth to say that Anakin solely killed Padme, though he did have a hand in it. Palpatine just writes his own version of events from existing facts to play with Anakin's mind in the direction he wants. I don't doubt that Anakin was angry at Dooku, but killing him 'for no other reason than revenge' is certainly not what happened. That's what Palpatine wanted Anakin to believe, and knowing Anakin, it may have worked. Honestly it just makes me sick right now to consider how awful Palpatine is to Anakin, behind all the nice surface.

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think he was counting on Anakin doing the "Jedi thing", and taking him prisoner. Guess he didn't know Anakin wasn't in the business of taking prisoners. :p

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Palpatine has told Dooku. 'I have somebody who I think will be a great Sith Lord and I think we can get him to join us. But we need to test him. So we're going to setup a situation where you fight him. If he gets the best of you, then I'll stop the fight and he'll have passed the test. If you get the best of him, then we'll let him go, and we'll let him stew for a few more years until he's ready.' But behind it, obviously, is Palpatine's real intention: If Anakin is good enough, Anakin can kill Dooku and become Palpatine's new apprentice. But he didn't tell Dooku that."

--George Lucas, The Making Of ROTS; Page 41.

He thought that going in, but once Palpatine revealed his treachery, Dooku got a rude wake-up call.

Iron_lord likes this.