main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yes! Secured a set of the THX remastered originals!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darkfalz, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkfalz

Darkfalz Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    Has anyone else been in a rush to do this? Although I will buy the OT DVD set, I have a feeling I won't like at least some of the changes they are making. Besides the originals are just that much more charming in their unaltered state.

Too bad the set I got is missing the box, but I guess it's not that important.

2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Too much info

3. sharkboy

sharkboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    How do you know that the new cuts wont be a big inprovement?

4. IDigMetalBikinis

IDigMetalBikinis Jedi Master star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    Good for you, my friend. [...]
    I am comforted by the fact that I have a living record of the films that I grew up with, the ones that I cherished, that inspired me to become a screenwriter. George can make all the changes he wants to the trilogy. If they improve on the originals, fine. (I'm a big fan of the SE Death Star Battle and Cloud City tweaks). But if they reduce the OT to level of the PT, I'm glad I've got tangible proof to show my baby daughter(when she's old enough) that says, THIS IS THE WAY IT WAS.

OT4EVER.

5. Captn_Cannonball

Captn_Cannonball Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2004
    i was talking to some guy on yahoo chatrooms that seemed to be very exited about his copies!!!

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I have the 95 releases on VHS. My dad bought them for my stepmom for Christmas that year.

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I have the 95 releases on VHS too. Unfortunately they're full screen, and I usually watch the SE VHS.

8. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    TLJ Edit: Too much info

9. Ethereal

Ethereal Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2004
    I managed to find the '95 release in fullscreen as well for only $13 on ebay. It's so comforting to know that I own them for ever and will never be forced to forget the unaltered trilogy.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Please do not discuss bootleg original trilogy DVDs and where to find them on these boards. It can get TFN in legal trouble. Information on obtaining bootlegs will be edited out of posts on sight"
    - from the Rules as linked to in the header

Feel free to discuss the THX versions that are/were available on VHS, but refrain from posting any information about any DVD versions apart from the one coming out this September.

11. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    well...
    Being the geek that I am, I've got every set of VHS videos released in the UK, (plus some from overseas) so I'm no stranger to the O-OT.
    But the ones I actually watch are not to be mentioned here

I (like many others) see no harm in having them, because come September 17, I'll be first in the queue to buy the new ones ;)

Having said that, I love the SE's as well :p

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

EDIT: not to be mentioned here Apologies [face_blush] Thought it was common knowledge.

12. Toshi Station

Toshi Station Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 1999
    I bought the remastered, original versions on VHS in '95, then I got the SE versions in '97. My smartest move ,though, was to buy (off eBay) the original trilogy in widescreen on Laser Disc. People are unloading a lot of old stuff like this all of the time. It's cheap!

13. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    The first THX box set I bought I had to return, because the recordings were bad. Actually, I did it a few months later (they were still in stores at the time.) by buying a new set and returning the old set with the new receipt. ;)

I've watched the OT tapes 1-2 times, to preserve them. I've watched the SE tapes once. That was enough as well. Now that I have the laserdiscs, I can make DVD's that will outlast the tapes and my LD player.

14. friendly_bob

friendly_bob Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2004
    I saw the THX editions, Widescreen in the window of a local charity shop a month or so ago. I didn't get them cos my parking ticket was running out and I was in a hurry. When I went back the next day - they were gone...

I was mortified... :(

15. C6P6H6

C6P6H6 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    Funny story, My bartender's son was selling all his old VHS tapes, and he had the SE from Laserdisc in the huge box of tapes. Except for a couple minor glitches, I've almost worn them down. But when played through my home theater system, it's amazing. You really can tell the difference between the old sound and the THX remasters

16. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ^^^ And that's just the analog soundtrack (since you can't copy the digital PCM soundtrack to tape.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.