main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ottawa Yes, Wait For It -- Announcing a Fan Film (Possibly)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by R2-12point, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    Okay, so I live in Ottawa and I?m announcing my intentions for am ambitious fanfilm project, and making a plea for help. However, I don?t want to be one of those guys who announces, then vanishes without warning. So please be charitable while I issue a number of caveats before I go any further:

1) I?m currently working two jobs, and neither of them pays me very much. This has kept me from even the smallest sort of progress towards wanting to do this for better than a year now and I?m sick of waiting. At this point I haven?t even gotten around to post-producing more than the slightest bit of a five minute ?Jedi kids? deal I shot with my nephews and nieces one weekend this past summer.

2) I as yet have no more than two or three available helpers lined up, none of whom are interested in being screen talent, and none of whom have costumes. After the finding of studio space of some sort, screen talent and costumes pose the biggest production hurdles for me. (Particularly stormtoopers. Puts on Ed Wood voice: ?I need more stormtroopers!?)

3) I?m still in the middle of learning the vast globs of video and FX software I now have. Particularly the FX stuff, which I don?t enjoy nearly as much as editing.

Okay, I had to get all that out first. Seems like a lot, BUT ...

1) I?ve been pre-qualified for a nice juicy government job, and I?ve been informed the chances are very good I?ll be sent a letter of offer by the end of January, or thereabouts. Even factoring in some time to ?settle in? to my new digs, this makes a summer shoot very possible if I act now.

2) I was four years in film school, so I kinda know what I?m doing. (However my skills are ten years rusty; in fact, I?d be willing to co-direct with somebody else; I?m really more interested in the writing, producing and editing this than in fighting with actors and angles.)

3) The camera, computer and accessories are ready to go. Now the camera?s only a Panasonic GS 65, but it?ll do the job, especially once I invest in more lighting. (It just doesn?t look all that damn impressive sitting there on the tripod, all tiny, like it is.) If can build even the smallest kinda of community around me, upgrading, I?m convinced, will become habitual.

4) The scripts are more or less written and I?m starting on production concepts and art. Soon there?ll be a website, if I see this thing?s got a shot at all.

Scripts, plural, you say? Yes, says I, and it?s time to tell you a little about the thing I want to do.

2. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    What made we want to do this wasn?t any of the Star Wars fan films I?ve seen to date, although some of them are incredible, but rather the Star Trek TV shows that are out there. Most of them are horrible, but the idea of doing something in installments, specifically from the SW universe, interested me more than making another forty minute piece on yet another Jedi-Sith encounter in the woods.

(In fact, the Internet TV thing is so interesting to me that I?ve also been working on an original idea for a run of installments that is MUCH MORE scaled down. No need for costumes or a big cast, or all that much FX, and THAT?S what I?ll be doing if I can?t inspire enough people to help me with the Star War idea. So I guess that?s a caveat, too.)

To be sure, Star Wars is primarily a cinematic enterprise, but I think it can be translated to shorter form without losing its essence or turning into X minutes of talking heads. The ?show? (hereafter to have its quotation marks removed) is to be called Star Wars: Heroes Of The Outer Rim as is going to run six to eight fairly short episodes (approx. 15 minutes). It is to be shot this summer, mostly in a couple big spurts, since it uses the same sets and characters throughout (in essence it is to be shot like one movie, which makes everything more feasible). Then its individual episodes will be worked on and released. They will be VERY much in the form of the old Republic serials, with appropriate Flash Gordon intros and exits (?Tune in for the next terrifying chapter ...!?, etc., etc.)

The show takes place on a lonesome Outer Rim world with a small population that is in the process of being occupied by the newborn Empire. In tone and characterization it is meant to be very much more like A New Hope than any of the other SW films. To be more exact, it is primarily a Space Western. Guns are the weapon of choice. I haven?t even written a space battle, yet, and I don?t know if I will. Jedi are there, sort of, but way in the background. I don?t foresee much waving of sticks, sorry. And no film character cameos. I?ll leave all that to Lucas?s TV show.

So that?s it. I really need to hear from people on this to make me think its do-able, but I?ll understand the reactions of any and all skeptics. Please, however, if you?re a skeptic who?s the least bit interested in doing something this looney and possibly this fun, just let me hear from you for now in the vaguest possible way. Particularly those of you who feel like spouting off lines in front of a tiny GS 65, or who wouldn?t mind letting me have a few stormtrooper costumes for a couple of weekends. And if my web site isn?t up by January, consider me down for the count, and I?ll dance in a Princess Leia outfit in the middle of the market for having bothered you. (I?ll only post here for now, not in the FanFilms section, at least until the web site is up.)

PM me for my private e-mail, if you prefer to contact me that way.

3. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Well, I have a Darth Maul costume, and I have the material for a Jedi costume, and I am an Actor.

There are also severial people here with Screen quality costumes, including a Storm Trooper or 2. But I cant speak for them.

Give me a shout when your doing something.

4. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Do you need Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Imperial Royal Guard, Sandtrooper, Emperor Palpatine, ROTS Anakin? Four of us are part of the 501st. I'm sure you know what that it...I hope.

If any of these characters appear in the movie, let me know, and I will get in contact with my crew. This sounds like fun!! I can't act, but I can satnd there, and look pretty menacing in my Darth Vader costume ;)

Either Pm me or email, or post, and I will respond.

Eli

5. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    >>Do you need Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Imperial Royal Guard, Sandtrooper, Emperor Palpatine, ROTS Anakin? Four of us are part of the 501st. I'm sure you know what that it...I hope.<<<

The 501st is the division I was playing in Battlefront II, right? What exactly do you mean, you're "part of it"? (I'm pretty much a more or less films-only fan.)

>>If any of these characters appear in the movie, let me know, and I will get in contact with my crew.<<

I think I could probably cannibalize some of those outfits (in a non-destructive way, I mean.) And I was thinking about cameo-ing Vader in an oblique way. Now I might write the scene.

The sandtrooper really interests me. Considering the proposed bleak terrain of my planet, it would even make sense. The problem is I could only make this shoot work if I had regular access to no fewer than a matching pair of Imperial trooper outfits (clone, sand, regular, heck, I'd even take snowtroopers). Otherwise scenes would get problematic to block. I'll have enough FX work to do without, y'know, cloning clones in every shot.

Thanks for writing in, guys. I'm mildly encouraged. (Even though I worked up the courage today to ask a couple of folks I work with if they cared to act in a fanfilm and they looked at me like I was ... well, you can well imagine.)

6. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    The 501st is a Star Wars costuming group dealing with the bad guys of the saga. That is why I asked if you needed any of them.

7. Yiddle_ja

Yiddle_ja Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    if you need any extras im game for it...not an actor or anything but this might give me the ideas needed and the resources for this other fanfilm i'm working on. Let me know what you think.

8. DarExc

DarExc Jedi Master star 1

Jan 27, 2002
    Don't wanna hijack this thread but speaking of the 501st my friend has been talking about joining them in Ottawa, I thought they didn't exist in Ottawa?

9. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    By all means, please discuss costuming here if you wish. This thread may be infertile ground for a while and I'd like to keep it current. Besides, I'm curious about it. Costuming sounds like a lot of work.

Yes, Yiddle, I'm always out for extras! There are seven recurring roles so far, and about eight or nine more background or small parts. Just from preliminary feelers on my part so far, that number could be difficult to fill. I may have to pare it all down, though I like how the piece feels now. (And here I was more worried about locations and sets.)

I have acted before, and can run a camera, and am a fairly handy guy, and I would of course be very willing to trade duties on anybody else's project. Even if the projects foundered, establishing a community (no matter how loose knit and small) would be interesting.

10. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    la_goddess has some expierence in this area, as long as she isnt busy.

11. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    DarExc, what costume is your frined planning on doing? I have myself and 3 other guys that are part of the 501st. We are not a part of a Garrison or Outpost yet because you need to have at least 15-20 for that. So right now, the group is a bit small. I know that Minder is doing a Darth Maul and should be done with it soon.

Right now, here are the characters my firends do:

Elijah (me) Darth Vader
    Luc Lavictorie - Imperial Royal Guard
    Jason MacDonald - Boba Fett
    Steph Desrosiers - Sandtrooper

Then I have 2 friends that have costumes, but are not yet part of the 501st:

Erik Malloch - ROTS Anakin
    John - Emperor Palpatine

So.....if your friend wants to get a costume, he is welcome to join us when we do events. I will let you know when we will be doing something!

Eli

12. DarExc

Jan 27, 2002
    I have 2 friends, one I thought was involved already, Van whom I forget his last name has a Storm Trooper costume and Chris Smith has purchased a Scout Troopers set. I would be interested in joining up also, I am another Sidious though.

Jer

13. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Jer,

Get them in the group!!!!!!! We need more men!!!! And women ;) If these guys have the armor, that is awesome! Do you know what kind of Stormtrooper and Scout armor your friends have?

Perhaps you could PM me their contact info, and I could talk to them about the group.

This is very cool! It looks like we may have 2 more troops in in Ottawa. Sweet!!

In the words of the Emperor...."Goooooddd, Gooooooooooodddddd"

Elijah

14. DarExc

Jan 27, 2002
    Elijah,

I will ask them if I can pass along their emails. They might be going to the dinner on Friday, are you coming?

15. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004
    Unfortunatly I have to work :_|

Eli

16. Hudson1138

Hudson1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey, Just wondering if you need any screen talent, Im currently taking theatre at Ottawa University and I have had some film experience, including Clint Eastwoods upcoming Flags of our Fathers.

17. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    Are you kidding? I thought my post was more or less clear on the subject. I'm thirsting for screen talent! As it is I've already felt out my family, friends and co-workers and this particular patch of the Force.net. The results have been slim.

Sometime in the near future, when I have enough pre-production done to make people interested, when my web site's up and I know exactly how feasible everything is, then I shall make a full ditch effort at people, with pamphlets, a round of inquiries at acting and theatre classes, and an Internet search.

I have nearly twenty speaking parts and so far less a single handful of willing performers.

18. Hudson1138

Jan 7, 2005
    Well count me in! do you have msn? I could send you a photograph!

19. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    Thank you, thank you, sir. Very nice to hear.

No photograph necessary yet. "Willing" and "available" are my topmost criteria right now, with "talent" a reasonable third. (Casting suitability may even have to take a hit, if my number of actors remains low. But that's okay. I'll tailor parts for gender and age if I have to.)

Wink, wink. Pester your classmates and I'll make you the star!

20. Hudson1138

Jan 7, 2005
    lol excellent. Can I get a description of the story or plot or what not? just to get a feel for it? and some of the characters?

21. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    When the scripts are polished enough, and more importantly when I have a little pre-visualization to show, it'll all be going up on the web site (except maybe the last episode or two), probably by the end of January, if everything remains a go. As a taste, these are some basic character notes I jotted down as I worked on the scripts.

Those marked as disposable can be excised from the story without much damage to the plot, but plenty to the tone of the piece. Those marked as dual roles can, and probably will, be doubled-up actors in alien make-up. And, like I said, there's almost nothing about the cosmetic layers (sex, age) of the characters that I wouldn't change to fill out the roles.

It wouldn't take much prompting to get me to post some random scenes or perhaps some more set and prop notes. (I just don't want to be all grandiose just to have this thing shut down later.)

SW: HEROES OF THE OUTER RIM

Main Characters:

Jon Bodee, a lawman, a drinker. Not the traditional-looking hero (balding, maybe, or stout). Grizzled in appearance, deliberate in action. Casting: Later Steve McQueen with forty pounds on him.

Norrim Corde, commander of the local garrison, a naval vet but not a company man. Looking out for number one; very smart. Casting: Claude Rains in Casablance (same role, practically).

Corrick Battenjoy, a young rancher, the leader of a (very small) local rebel movement. Not naive; Che Guevera with a sense of humor. Casting: any young buck, hopefully with a Monty Clift brand of depth, however.

Kela Sadoon, an herbologist and the local apothecary, with a background of mystery. An older woman, dowdy. Casting: More Kathy Bates than Judi Dench.

Panareet Nicea, Kela's young asssistant, shy, attractive, without much sense of self. In love with Corrick, but perched on discovery. Casting: the "beautiful not-beautiful girl in glasses" from any insipid teenage comedy.

Recurring Characters (speaking):

4-ZZ-4 ("Zizi"), the droid. The "town drunk", a scrap of parts with a fractured centered brain. (puppet/effect, dual part as voice work).

Philo, Commander Corde's brilliant and sensible adjutant. Always at hand with good advice. (Disposable; possible dual part as alien.)

Bardo Deel, a rich rancher, a statesmanly SOB, but an SOB all the same. Playing both sides. Better an older man than a younger.

Boz Guncher, Deel's foreman. A bully and a gun hand. (Disposable.)

Nefi Loam, a boy of twelve or so.

Titia Obanchee, wordly proprietress of the local bar. (Disposable.)

Deak Wallender, Corrick?s best friend.

Forbin, another of Corrick's rebel friends.

Finus Loam, Nefi's father, a stubborn rancher.

Varango, an alien assassin. (Dual part with any above role.)

Banny Moe, a local trouble maker (possible dual part as alien), and:

Chuk-Chuk Moe, his brother (same).

Postulus Bok, the next chosen template for stormtroopers (very easily becomes a non-speaking role).

Non-speaking/background roles:

Stormtroopers, Imperial officers (disposable).

Townspeople, ranchers, waitresses.

Darth Vader (should costume be handy).

Recurring Creatures/FX/Models:

Gogolas, the local herd animal. Resembles an ostrich; a shabby mound of feathers approximately two or three feet high, with an emerging, rigidly periscopic neck and binocular eyes. Practical effect (humped shell of faux feathers with a modelled neck and head extension) in all but long shots. Four feet high.

Zizi (4-ZZ-4). A mis-matched jumble of humanoid parts that somehow manages to stand. Practical puppet (without legs) in all but long shots.

The Krir, one of the local cave-dwelling dragons with three snaking heads. The bodies of this beast is never fully seen, as it never emerges completely from the depths of its lair. (Puppet inside of model cave set.)

Sentry Droids, remotes equipped with deadly laser beam weapons.

22. VaderFanForever

Feb 24, 2004

If you need a Vader, I am your man! I am a member in the 501st, so I have to have a fairly accurate costume, which I happen to own. Plus I live in Ottawa. Just let me know when you would be needing me, and I will see if we can work something out. I LOVE gearing up as Vader!!

Elijah

23. Yiddle_ja

Yiddle_ja Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005

I've never done voice work before however i do some impressions of cartoons and muppets etc... (not the greatest mind you) Perhaps I could come up with some kind of voice work. Also willing to do some background extras. Keep in mind i dont really have any costumes however perhaps we can get something going on that also.

24. Hudson1138

Jan 7, 2005
    This should be a film of EPIC Proportions!

25. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    Geez, don't say that! You're gonna frighten me!

I know the casting requirements seem a bit excessive. So too, somewhat, the number of sets and locations to accomodate all those people. However, I think prop requirements are within reason. And the FX work will be minimal, compared to most longish fan films. Especially, if the models and 3D work come off (I'm working on it, I'm working on it).

Right now, I'm encouraged by a foundation I've come across here in town that rents out pro equipment at fairly reasonable rates. However, casting feelers continue to come to nothing.

So, all in all, I'm thinking now the chances of making SOMETHING is very good, though maybe not "Heroes."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.