main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ottawa Yes, Wait For It -- Announcing a Fan Film (Possibly)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by R2-12point, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yiddle_ja

Yiddle_ja Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    are you tallking about that movie art school? My brother suggested a place like this for the other fanfilm and it semms it's really cheap.

2. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    The place is called Saw Video, and their web site is www.sawvideo.com

It looks like they have a pretty good set-up going, although they seem to insist you take a number of instructional courses (at a cost) before being allowed to rent anything.

3. Yiddle_ja

Aug 17, 2005
    Clicky for lazy people

Allright I'll try to get the info from my brother about this school. It seems it's a very small membership fee to pay then we can borough or rent the equipment there for cheap. They even have sets and editing rooms etc (from what my bros. tells me)

4. Yiddle_ja

Aug 17, 2005
    yep my brother confirmed it. That place you mentionned is the same place he talked to me about. Looks like that would be our best bet.

5. Hudson1138

Hudson1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 7, 2005
    Yippiiiiieeee

6. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    I didn't think it was the same place, since I didn't see anything in their literature about sets, but it looks like a good deal nonetheless.

However, on the more depressing side of things, a couple of folks I was depending on have tentatively pulled out on me. Adding to that some slow progress I've been making, and I may have to scale back what I can do this summer. We'll see, I guess. Ain't licked yet.

7. Kryst_Niteflame

Kryst_Niteflame Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    Hey Yid duder, why didnt you mention this place to me before man? This would
    seriously save us problems with our fanfilm...although interest has been lacking somewhat...
    (See Jedi Eight-0 thread)

8. Yiddle_ja

Aug 17, 2005
    yeah i did mention it to you before...as the place my brother had talked to me about oh so many moons ago...

9. Kryst_Niteflame

Kryst_Niteflame Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    Not that I remember...anyways. This place would save us a lot of problems.
    Camera, locations and such...instead of relying on your apartment and apartment hallways...

10. Yiddle_ja

Aug 17, 2005
    well that all depends on if they do indeed have sets and set pieces to work with. We would have to pay it a visit sometime and check out the area.

11. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    I went to check out Saw Video today (finally). Their rep said they don't subsidize any project to which the artist does not hold copyright. I took her to mean fanfilms, but, shy, shy me, I didn't confirm it at the time. (Didn't want to sound like Professor Frink to a complete stranger, dontcha know? "But can't I make my STAR WARS MOVIE, with the sabers and the wooshing, and the Jar Jar is a menace, flaven!?")

This is a bummer. I could obfuscate about the nature of my project, of course, (especially since I AM planning another, non SW project) but considering that the size of my SW film necessitates tapping THEIR community for people, the deception wouldn't hold.

Anyway, I'll certainly be renting their equipment for project #2, which is increasingly looking like Project #1. But my fanfilm is NOT abandoned, proud to say, not even for a possible production run at then end of this summer.

A bare bones version of my web site (with all Heroes Of The Outer Rim details and scripts) will be going up in a few days. After I lease the domain space and, y'know, learn HTML all over again. (I last made a web site in 1997).

12. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    When can I read for a role?

13. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    I will likely be casting in March, but primarily for Project #2, a little horror film called "Working Man" to be shot in May. It only has five or six main roles, and one big lead. The SW casting will be done at the same time (at least the first stage of casting, which will give me a good idea of feasibility).

Since the largesse of the scripts are going up online, I'll be encouraging people to pick two parts they're interested in, download part of a scene or monologue, and come in ready with it. Again, turnout and quality issues may necessitate OTHER factors coming in to play when casting: such as availability, enthusiasm for the project, and willingness to handle dual crew chores.

14. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    When I set a deadline, I like to stick to it. My web site--at least the Star Wars part of it--is up!

Spread the word! I need to hear from people!

15. Minder

May 28, 2002
    Reading now ;)

16. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    Okay, the whole site is available now (with information on me, the company, and our smaller project now--with script). It's still not as polished as I'd like, but I'm hip deep in basement renovations AND post-producing my FX sampler flick.

However, a Cast And Crew page is still not up as I'm still looking ...

... still looking ...

17. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    Yiddle_ja,

How goes the project you're working on? Is it still something you're gonna do?

18. TR1320

TR1320 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    I can probably help out here and there if you need... Schedule is hectic for me at the moment, but have done a few fanfilms way back in 1990-1992 (High school).

Imperial guard, and black Stormtrooper willing to help out...

Luc (AKA TR1320/soon to be TX1320)

19. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    Good to hear, Luc. And it's all still a ways off, so schedules are a future problem.

20. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Need a Vader?? I'm willing and able to dawn the black!

Elijah

21. TR1320

TR1320 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    R2..

I forgot to mention that back in grade 12, one of our fan films came in second overall in a priovince-wide contest on TVO (yeah I think it still exists). We actually condensed a 40mins video to a 5mins teaser (that was the requirement for the competition).

I might be able to track down one of my friends from that project that did video editing (as I've done as well).

Did some camera work as well... So I'm willing to help out in those areas where needed. I still actively participate in LARPs as player (in one of them) and staff (prop making/story writing / etc). Now I know LARPs are a bit different from SW, but hey, the more you know, the better it is!

Luc

22. Minder

May 28, 2002
    Luc

What LARPs do you work with?

23. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    Okay, first, what's a LARP?

Second, I'm just in much need of production/crew help as cast. See

http://www.12pointproductions.com/who_we_need.htm

So I'm now VERY glad to hear from you.

24. Minder

May 28, 2002

LARP stands for Live Action Role Play

Basically its improvisational Theater, and it actually encompasses all aspects of a normal theater production, the difference being that the scripts are a bit loose, and things change on the fly.

25. R2-12point

Jan 12, 2002
    Okay, I never heard of that. Good to know. Another resource. (So it's theatre, not gaming? Or both?)

E-mail me with your personal info, Luc, if you can. My e-mail is at the site listed below and let me know what really interests you most. I'll want to keep touch with you. (It's going to be tough to keep everyone "up" for the next month and a bit, while I continue to feel around for more people.) I'm very grateful for you, and Minder, and a couple of other, more tentative folks I've heard from so far, and I don't want to lose your interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.