main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yet another take on the PT vs. OT - the "class issue"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Pazuzu, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    Lately, it's occurred to me that there may be yet another reason why the Original Star Wars trilogy seems to have greater resonance with more people than the Prequel Trilogy. Putting aside the issue of the respective qualities and virtues of each trilogy and the question of which one is better (which is ultimately a subjective point), I think that basically it comes down to an issue of...well...for lack of a better word, class.

If you look at the PT, it's largely set within the Galactic Republic and a fair amount of the action takes place on the capital planet of Coruscant, and deals with the Jedi Republic and the Senate and the power elite. Much of the dialogue between the characters has a rather measured and formal quality to it, befitting the social milieu in which the PT story is set.

On the other hand, if you look at the OT, it deals with a more down-on-the-ground, more working-class reality. It is the story of the Rebel Alliance and their fight against the Galactic Empire - which of course used to be the Galactic Republic - and consequently deals with more or less ordinary people. And even though many of the key players within the Rebel Alliance - Leia Organa, her foster father Bail Organa and of course Mon Mothma - were all former members of the Senate, much of the main characters' dialogue is more open and direct and there's a bit less of the stuffiness we saw on Coruscant.

Nowadays, I'm more inclined to put Attack Of The Clones or Revenge Of The Sith into my DVD player than A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back, since the films of the OT have become perhaps a bit overly familiar to me and the prequels still have a freshness and newness about them. Nevertheless, I will quite readily acknowledge that the OT's continued resonance with audiences has much to do with its relative working-class reality, while the PT's social milieu is perhaps a bit stuffy and off-putting to some people.

2. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    Whilst it's true that the PT is largely a story about various elites trying to outdo each other and the OT has a strong feeling of the underdog taking on the machine, I don't think that's the main reason why the OT has more long term resonance.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Jar Jar was the ultimate commoner in TPM and people loathed him.

I'm not sure class is an issue. Needs more examination.

edit: makes more sense now. :p

4. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I'm not claiming that it's the main reason, I'm just saying that it's one factor.

5. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    Yep, I know. I think you make a good point.

6. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    You may have a point, but in a fantasy it shouldn't really matter. I mean, am I less likely to identify with the cold, aristocratic Senator Amidala or the more down-to-earth farmboy Luke Skywalker who flies awesome spaceships and has magical powers? They're both way outside of my reality before even considering implications of "class."

7. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    They're all outside our reality, but a lot of people enjoy rooting for the underdog in any situation or context. In the PT, there really isn't an underdog to root for. I think that's what the original poster's getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    That's not what I got from the original post, but you might be getting closer to the heart of the matter, actually.

9. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    Or I could be off on completely the wrong tangent. Wouldn't be the first time! :p

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I think the reason is more at the surface. The OT dealt with a very real danger, the established Empire and their Death Star. The PT deals with the crumbling of the Senate and formation of the Empire. The sense of danger to the underdogs just isn't there for me. Anakin is the only character who really loses out. There are lots of little personal battles, such as Obi-Wan and Grievous, Anakin and Dooku, etc., but the danger to ALL isn't really focused on.

11. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I'd rather keep this conversation centralized here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.