Yin/Yang in the clouds on Naboo

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by StampidHD280pro, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    After Anakin wakes from his nightmare in AOTC, does anyone see the yin/yang formation in the clouds? I've seen this for quite a while now, and I thought maybe I was imagining it, but it's pretty distinct and right in the center.

Or has this already been pointed out?
  2. Chance the Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
  3. shanerjedi Jedi Master

star 4
  4. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    okay. will get on that after work.
  5. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXnGA61Rrk&p=0BB0F226A8B03389
    It's the first thing you see in this clip.
  6. Anakin_Darth Force Ghost

star 2
    Yep, I see it! Good find. =D=
  7. ida_dida Jedi Knight

star 1
    :eek:.....o_O you are very observative. Coincidence? :pNO!
  8. shanerjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow. I do see it clearly. Nice find indeed.
  9. Chance the Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Cool. I wonder if it was put there intentionally?[face_thinking]
  10. Truffaut Jedi Knight

star 1
    Fascinating observation. I had never noticed that before.

Duality, in its various forms, is a motif that runs throughout the "Star Wars" films ? Lucas has conceded as much ? but it's impossible to determine whether the symbol you identified was intentional or merely a coincidence.
  11. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Interesting find. I pondered whether it was intentional or coincidental while watching the clip, but then Padme walked out and completely distracted me. ;)
  12. FalorWindrider Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    It was probably intentional. George Lucas is so CGI-happy that he CG-ed the sky in the PT.
  13. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    Definitely. The top half of the clouds and the bottom half of the sun imply a perfect circle, even if the placement of the light and dark in the middle is imperfect and indistinct.
    Sort of like how the time between trilogies is obscured. Now was THAT intentional too? The world may never know.
  14. Truffaut Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thematically, it makes a lot of sense; duality is a prevalent motif in these films, and the symbol appears at a time when Anakin is about to disobey his Jedi mandate, surrender to his fear, and pursue his mother. This arc of the film culminates in a powerful confession that liberally quotes Sophocles' "Oedipus Rex"; this provides an intriguing contrast to the Freudian material coursing through the narrative tendrils of "The Empire Strikes Back", notably Luke's confrontation with his father, which concludes with a symbolic castration scene (Vader lopping off his son's hand).

Anyway, if you'll forgive my digression...it's still difficult to determine whether or not the yin-yang symbol was intentional. I'd like to think that it was, but remember that Anakin's Vader-esque silhouette on Tatooine later in the film was not (according to the audio commentary on the DVD). In either case, it's a fascinating discovery and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.
  15. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    Do you really buy that?
    [image=http://www.impawards.com/1999/posters/star_wars_episode_one_the_phantom_menace_ver1.jpg]
  16. Truffaut Jedi Knight

star 1
    It seems a bit unlikely, but I'll take their word for it. Intentional or not, it doesn't affect the potency of the scene.
  17. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    Even if the intention wasn't on Lucas's part, the yin/yang formation is clear.
    It's all part of the cosmic plan, anyhow. Which brings us back to clouds and silver linings.
  18. Truffaut Jedi Knight

star 1
    Indeed; one of the first shots of the film features the Naboo cruiser descending into the fog-enshrouded planet of Coruscant. Not only is this a foreboding image, it represents the moral and political ambiguity that has engulfed the Republic.
  19. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_hypnotized]A silver ship no less. Now it's getting scary.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.