main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yip Yip!" Avatar - the Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Merkurian , Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    lol

2. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Water and Earth are best because they can be used so many ways.

3. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Fire is the best because of lightning bending.

4. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    What about blood bending and sinking people into the Earth? I'd say that's more effective that lightning bending.

5. Chipster92

Chipster92 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2008
    Sorry, I haven't been able to get back online for a while, but I'm back. I have to say, after rewatching the finale multiple times, I have to say that these episodes were some of the best in the entire series, if not the best. The Finale basically cemented "Avatar:The Last Airbender" as being one of the best animated shows of all time. The Animation was beautiful and the music was excellent(the music in Avatar is always good, but the finale music was great). I was pretty much pleased with the entire thing.

Now I know some people were complaining about the Lion Turtle/Spiritbending as being a deus ex machina to keep Aang from killing Ozai, but I found it completely understandable. It would be out of character for Aang to outright kill someone in cold blood. He's not a murderer. He would try to find a way to defeat Ozai without resorting to killing. They also had something like it with Ty Lee and her ability to take away a person's bending temporarily. Aang took it farther and did it permanantly. I still would have liked it more if the Lion Turtle/Spiritbending was forshadowed earlier in the season or perhaps earlier in the series(like during Seasons 1 or 2). Also, we all should have probably known that Nick wasn't going to let Aang kill Ozai(at least not onscreen). Sure, they probably could have gone with the "Disney-Style" death with Ozai falling off the cliff or bringing about his own death accidently(like getting shocked by his own lightning), but that would have been too anticlimatic. Another thing about the Lion Turtle and Spiritbending was that it added a whole new element to the "Avatar" mythology. The Lion Turtle mentioned something about "the era before the Avatar", which means that the Avatar didn't always exist. also, the Lion Turtle itself seemed like a really ancient creature that had been around since the begining of time. I don't know if that was meant to be some sort of hint of what we might see in a future show or special, something about the very first Avatar and who he was and possibly more info on the spirit world, I'm just gussing.

Another note on the Spiritbending. When Aang and Ozai both started glowing with red and blue light, I almost thought for a few seconds that they were going to do a "Matrix Revolutions" type ending and do the same thing that Neo did to Agent Smith in the end of that movie and have Ozai be killed, but Aang would sacrifice his own life in the process and they both would die and explode into beams of light. Then when I saw that Aang had actually took his firebending away, I was a little relieved. I had realized that Nick wouldn't go for that type of ending either as it would be too depressing(especially for kids)to have the main character/hero die in the end. It might have worked if the show was on a different channel and was geared more towards teenagers and adults, but hey, what are ya gonna do?

One of the best things about the finale, in my opinion, was the direction they went with Azula's character by having her go Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs and turning her into a female version of Heath Ledger's Joker. I thought that was a stroke of pure GENIUS!! Some people may have thought that it came out of nowhere and was random, but if you had paid close attention to past episodes, you could see it coming. Heck, even in her first appearance in the show(not counting her two silent Season 1 cameos) we saw that Azula was a perfectionist and a control freak. Basically an Evil Mary Sue. Remember that whole "one hair out of place" scene and the "almost perfect isn't good enough" scene? Obvious forshadowing. Of course, Mai and Ty Lee's betrayal in "The Boiling Rock" played a big factor into Azula going nuts. It showed that she's losing her influence and her hold on people,even her two so-called "best friends". On that note in the episode that came directly after that, "The Southern Raiders", in the beginning of the episode when Azula attacked the Western Air Temple and fought Zuko on the airship, that was another sign of her cracking. Usually, her strategy would be to let her enemies

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I agree, Chip, the finale was explosively great!

Oh, and we're having a discussion on Avatar in the Non-Star-Wars-Fanfic-Forum. We can discuss Avatar with people who don't come to this forum regularly.

7. Chipster92

Chipster92 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2008
    Thanks for the offer, but fan-fiction isn't really my thing.

One thing I have to say, Haru, Teo, and the Duke ended up being completely useless in the second half of the season! After "Day of Black Sun", when the group decided to bring them along, I thought they would actually do something substantial or we would get to know more about them. They ended up being just dead weight and had little to no dialogue. Zuko and Suki were the only important new additions to the group(at least they were USEFUL). They should have just left those three with the other DOBS prisoners, but Nick probably wouldn't let them show the kids being thrown into jail, which I don't understand because they let the whole Suki situation slide.

Another thing, that prisoner they rescued from the Boiling Rock, Chit Sang(sp?), he didn't do much either, which is a shame since I kinda liked his character and wanted to see more of him. I thought he could have had some underground connections that would help the group with rallying more forces, or maybe he could have been the one to know about the Southern Raiders instead of Zuko. In fact, back when "The Boiling Rock" episodes were first leaked, I assumed Chit Sang was going to be revealed to be a former member of the raiders and wanted out, so he had tried to stop the attack on the Southern Water Tribe, and was declared a traitor and thrown in prison. That was my original theory, would have been cool, though.

8. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Me thinks that a lot of the blame for the problems with Season 3 are unfairly heaped on Nick. I think it was the writers who messed up here. If Nick didn't have a problem with Suki being incarcerated and tortured (as Azula tells Sokka in Day of Black Sun), and didn't have any problems leaving the other Kyoshi warriors in prison, then Nick didn't have any problems with Teo & the other non-Gaang children being imprisoned. I heard there was a major crew change between Seasons 2 & 3 and that's probably why there are so many plot and character fails in Season 3.

That was a theory I had too when I heard that the Southern Raiders was going to be about Katara's mother's death. That episode was probably the best example of everything that was wrong with Season 3 - fan service, OOC characterization, fan service, no continuity, fan service, fan service, etc.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    [image=http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/Saylisk/100-YEARWAR.jpg]

lol

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Avatar Characters discover the ships that the fandom has made:

[image=http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q191/Darth_Verrick/Avatar/1221480736756.png]

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Another winner! The look on Appa's & Momo's faces are priceless!

In other news, when does the Book Three boxed set hit the shelves?

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Weren't we supposed to get new info on future Avatar specials (like a story explaining Zuko's mother, or stories set in other timelines) about a month ago?

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Awhile back, I'd commented on (western) astrological archetypes and characters on the show. I thought I'd give it another go, a couple of signs at at time [face_coffee]

ARIES
    Keywords:
    courageous, pioneering, brilliant, adventurous, dynamic, straight-foward
    The Shadow Side: willful, dominating, selfish, ruthless, insensitive, impatient

Example
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Zuko-Season_3.jpg]

Those with the Sun in Aries are gifted with a direct, fiery nature that makes them one step ahead of the crowd. They take charge of a situation, and their sense of certainty usually makes others fall in line. This makes the Sun in Aries a born leader.

Aries is the sign of the Warrior, and the Aries Sun can rise to the challenge of any battle. Sometimes they go too far and scorch those they love with hurtful words said in the heat of the moment. They quickly forgive and forget, but often deal with the fall out of their brusque demeanor.

Most of all, the Aries wants to achieve great things, and is propelled by an inner drive that is a force to be reckoned with. Their bright minds and ability to initiate can make them trailblazers in their careers.

At times, the rush to action can cause them to take unnecessary risks, or forge ahead without planning out crucial details. Some say the Sun in Aries learns the hard way, by leaping before looking. But being an active sign, the Aries learns through best through experience.

TAURUS
    Keywords:
    tenacious, rooted, sensuous, persistent, deliberate, patient, loyal
    The Shadow Side: brooding, possessive, stubborn, inflexible, enraged, slothful, indulgent, slow

Examples
    [image=http://water-bender.com/images/bios/earthking.jpg] [image=http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/6e/300px-Long_Feng.JPG]

Those with the Sun in Taurus can be the most down-to-Earth of the signs, so naturally they?re the ones reveling in earthly pleasures. Their sensuality is legendary, whether they?re cooking up a sumptuous feast in the kitchen or turning on the tantalizingly slow charm in the bedroom.

Sun in Taurus seems more firmly rooted in the physical world than the other signs, and so, can be as immovable as a mountain. It?s hard to get a Taurus to rush into anything, which can be frustrating to everyone else. But once a decision has been made, it?s usually a sound one. And that same stubborn deliberateness keeps Taurus fixed on a goal, long after others have given up.

They?re the ?builders? of the Zodiac, and to use that analogy, they want to see all the blueprints of a project before going forward. But on their watch, you can guarantee that no buildings ? or relationships -- will fall down due to flimsy construction.

Big motivations for Taurus are a desire for material and emotional security. This sets them on a path to find a partner or career for the long haul. They?ll stay put where they are and carefully cultivate a stable, deeply rooted life. On the down side, this can cause them to linger in a job or with a mate that they?ve outgrown.

Sun in Taurus is easy going until truly mad, at which time you?ll see the raging Bull in action. Lurking within every serene Taurus is the potential for a seething rage that re-establishes a sense of order by force. Respect them and allow them to take their sweet time doing things, and all will be well.

15. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I finally saw the final last week and it was pretty good. Seeing how Ozai had his bending taken away, what are the odds they would try that on Azula, I know I wouldn't want to take the risk that she would escape and try something.
    On the subject of bending, take waterbending what are the limits of thier powers. The Human bodies mostly water right so couldn't they burst eyes or crush organs stuff like that or even form ice in thier oppenents brain. Would seem like an easy way to defeat an opponent. Or airbending I wonder if it would be possible to suck the air out of an opponent and suffocate him.

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I imagine "bloodbending" represents the pinnacle (or depth, depending on your POV) of the waterbending art. I imagine it's possible for an airbender to cause someone to suffocate, but I figure it would have to be under similar extreme conditions as with bloodbending. I don't know if airbenders have a situation akin to that of the night of a full moon.

Continuing with the astrology comparisons...

GEMINI

Keywords: engaging, curious, childlike, versatile, witty, entertaining, charming
    The Shadow Side: superficial, duplicitous, flaky, restless, nervous, chatty

Examples
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/6/6b/Gyatso_003.jpg] [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/6/67/Aang_after_Iceberg.jpg]

The Gemini Sun is a chameleon, which makes their personality hard to describe since it changes all the time. Those born under the sign of the "Twins" have at least two personalities, but often many more. Their insatiable curiosity keeps them learning new things, and this makes many of them like walking encyclopedias of knowledge.

You might hear the laughter of Gemini Suns before you see them, since they?re always finding something absurd to giggle over. They?re great wits and their interest in people often puts them in the role of social ice breaker.

Those with Sun in Gemini might be hard to pin down, but if you accept this shape-shifting quality, they?re excellent friends. This can even be true in a relationship, where they need an intellectual rapport with their mate. The ideal companions for them are those that think at their same speed of light, and don?t tie them up in one dull topic.

They need a certain kind of space to grow, and those close to them don?t try to hold on too tightly. The Gemini knows that the world is vast and full of endless fascinations to explore. If the door is open in a relationship for them to come and go at will, they?ll prove their own brand of loyalty over time.

The Gemini needs to be able to reinvent themselves many times and to follow the threads of inspiration wherever they lead. This can make them seem restless and inconsistent ? another name for it is flaky. They?re always called the dilettante of the Zodiac because they?ll try anything once, and usually do! But once the Gemini finds a subject through that is worthy of that incredible kaleidoscopic mind, a deeper mastery can be sought and achieved.

The Gemini is a charmer and a clown. And often they wear a silly grin, as if they get the cosmic joke that all is well and it?s okay to sample everything from the smorgasbord of life.

CANCER

Keywords:
    tenacious, patient, intuitive, nurturing, sensuous, imaginative, sensitive, empathic
    The Shadow Side: moody, clingy, self-absorbed, clannish, neurotic, needy, no boundaries, subjective

Examples
    [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/e/e9/YueSpirit.png] [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/7/7c/Pakku_001.jpg]

Those with the Sun in Cancer have a changeable nature, which makes them something of an enigma, even with those closest to them. They?re ruled by the Moon, and are similarly known to glow brightly one moment, and hide their faces the next. A highly emotional sign, they can sink into a mood and fully inhabit it, so that it seems to permeate the atmosphere around them.

The Cancer imagination is so vivid that it?s like they?re watching home movies inside their heads. For them, every life experience can be replayed again and again in Technicolor, and the same internal landscape revisited. This is the raw material for both creative genius, and the tendency to get stuck in emotional eddies. And because they're psychic sponges, they need plenty of space to unravel the little dramas of the day, or they?ll get cranky.

The Cancer has a tender heart, but you might not see it at first behind the cool exterior. Once you?re allowed inside the circle of trust, you?ll start to know why they?re called the ?mother? of the Zodiac. Both m

17. Fel_Freak228

Fel_Freak228 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2007
    I can't find the news post, but I remember reading something about there being 3 specials sometime in Fall'09. We have no clue what they will be about.

It already has, came out on the 16th. Does anyone know if there will be a Complete Series box set?

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    LEO

Keywords: exuberant, colorful, proud, vivacious, theatrical, confident, generous, affectionate
    The Shadow Side: egotistical, bossy, stubborn, provocative, overbearing, dogmatic, selfish

Examples
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/4/44/Zhao_003.jpg] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/d/d9/Phoenix_King_Ozai.JPG]

At first, it?s hard not to like those with the Sun in Leo with their open hearted, friendly ways. They often enter a room as a radiant presence that causes everyone to take notice, and are skilled at ?working? a crowd for best effect. As a friend, they have a knack for mining a buried dream, polishing it to a shine again, and making anything seem possible.

There?s a public confidence with the Leo Sun that other signs only dream of, which gives them free reign to fully express their creative and social selves. Whether they end up in civil service or on a Broadway stage, chances are they?ll have an audience. When standing proudly before adoring fans (or co-workers), they?re casting out warmth that has a palpable power to win hearts and minds.

The Sun in Leo has a hard time with the mundane, and will be drawn to colorful careers and dramatic relationships. While some people shrink at the idea of dating around, the Leo considers it a time to play and enjoy the game of romance. And it?s not unusual for a Lion on the market to have a few kettles on the stove.

After getting to know a Leo, you might discover that they?re very loyal, but only to themselves. You can come up against severe resistance if trying to bend the will of a Leo for the sake of a relationship. Their pride leads to the reputation of having a super-sized Ego, and being a difficult Diva type. But in the end, their stubborn self-regard elicits widespread respect, since so many of them grab the gusto and achieve their loftiest goals.

VIRGO

Keywords:
    discriminating, organized, clever, wholesome, responsible, caring, loyal
    The Shadow Side: critical, nitpicking, cold, fussy, negative, unsocial

Example
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/a/a7/Mai_0001.JPG]

Those with Sun in Virgo are constantly on the move, always trying to fine-tune their lives and relationships. They are filled with nervous energy, and a desire to make improvements, so they're serene when fulfilling the steps toward a well-thought out goal.

Virgos are often compelled to serve others, and can find respect in fields where attention to detail and a responsible attitude are rewarded. They are natural healers, and are gifted at bringing an unhealthy situation back into balance. But they have to watch out for those that would take advantage of their natures and put them in subservient roles. Finding the courage to place the highest value on what they offer can take a lifetime for some Virgos.

There?s an emphasis on habit, and a Virgo that has established a wholesome daily routine is far easier to live with than one that hasn't. There?s a physical sensitivity with Virgos that could be called high maintenance, and they need a lot of space to ?purify? themselves in mind, body and spirit. They are known as loners, and even if established in coupledom, will need plenty of ?me? time to maintain their sense of self.

You can set your clock by their punctuality, so if you?re going to be late, you?d better have a good reason. When trying to win the heart of a Virgo, try giving them something practical that enhances their daily life. And always make sure your clothes are free of unsightly stains or wrinkles, as this will be duly noted.

The self-contained nature of the Virgo Sun sometimes makes them all the more alluring. Here's where the Virgin comes into play -- someone who will always be whole and complete unto themselves. And this can make them seem unattainable.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    LIBRA

Keywords:
    charming, fair-minded, diplomatic, sophisticated, artistic, sociable, clear thinking
    The Shadow Side: people-pleasing, gullible, passive, indecisive, gossipy, co-dependent

Example
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/b/b2/Aang_student.jpg]

Those with the Sun in Libra have an easy grace and charm that is enviable. Many have soothing voices that are easy on the ears, which is lucky since they love to talk. When their gift for the gab is put to a high-minded purpose, they?re at their very best.

Libra is associated with the scales, and they?re noted for being able to harmonize and bring peace to conflicted situations. They thrive in calm, aesthetically pleasing environments, and can be easily discombobulated by the chaos of modern life.

It?s hard and perhaps even not natural for a Libra to ?go it alone,? since more than any other sign, they work best in a social environment. They enjoy bouncing ideas off other people, and joining forces as a team, which makes them great business partners. Many Libras are drawn to creative fields, since their eye for beauty is often quite refined.

At a party, you?ll find that Libra is the one playing host or hostess and looking fabulously at ease. They?ve got an artful way of spreading around the cocktails and the scintillating ideas -- watching them might make you think of a lava lamp because it?s just as hypnotic.

The same languid style that puts everyone in a relaxed mood can lead to self-indulgence and a passive attitude toward life. And even though Libras take a lot of heat for being indecisive, they make up for it with an idealism that has the power to change their world.

SCORPIO

Keywords:
    determined, intense, ambitious, passionate, formidable
    The Shadow Side: vengeful, secretive, jealous, manipulative, cunning, obsessive

Example
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/1/13/Zula_.png]

There?s a simmering depth to those born with the Sun in Scorpio that can be intimidating. Often you just know they?re intuitively taking in everything around them and revealing very little. And don?t expect instant friendship here, as it takes time to win the trust of the wary Scorpio.

An outer mask of cool control belies a vast and often turbulent psychic interior from which they draw on. In a word, the Scorpio is intense, and works best in a crucible of pressure and uphill challenges. Without a sense of purpose, the darker emotions can take hold and lead them down the paths of obsession, jealousy and worse.

The Sun in Scorpio has the drive to succeed, and often has extracurricular activities that take it up a notch. They?re great competitors because of their built-in radar for the weaknesses of the opponent. They?ll remain calm until the exact right moment when a targeted sting will do the most damage. That?s why in relationships of any kind they are a formidable enemy if betrayed.

The Scorpio often goes into psychological territory that others fear to tread, and emerges both wiser and transformed. They?re the deep-sea divers of the Zodiac, experiencing every situation on many levels, much of it in the unconscious realms. Many Scorpios are drawn to the mysterious and otherworldly, since so much of their nature lies hidden in subterranean waters.

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    SAGITTARIUS

Keywords:
    optimistic, curious, freedom-loving, sporty, philosophical, expansive
    The Shadow Side: restless, superficial, tactless, promiscuous, flippant, careless

Example
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/d/d8/Iroh_001.jpg]

The Sun in Sagittarius nature is one of expansion, and their eyes are often optimistically fixed on a future goal. They?re global citizens, here to sample many tastes and cultures, which can keep them constantly on the move. A bored ?Sadge? is a rare sight, since they?ll break free of any relationship or situation that starts to squash their legendary enthusiasm.

The Sagittarius often has a bright, cheerful demeanor that can be disarming. It?s an uncomplicated style that invites you to drop your defenses, too, and just ?be.? This makes for a fun friend that knows all the best ethnic restaurants and can stay out ?til the cows come home.

They?re known for spontaneous philosophical ramblings and don?t seem to get bogged down in emotional complexities. Those that love them may wish for more depth, more feeling, and there are times when they are shockingly blunt. It?s unnerving to be the target of a direct hit, but it is easily forgiven if accepted as just another fiery arrow of Sagittarian truth.

The same mind that shows tactlessness can be a beacon of light in confusing times. Leave it to a Sagittarius to step into a messy tangle and sum up the situation with blinding clarity. They?ll be willing to say the truth when all others hide in confusion. This makes them invaluable friends that can guide you back to the clear path when you need honesty rather than enablers.

CAPRICORN
    Keywords:
    ambitious, self-reliant, disciplined, persevering, resourceful, creative
    The Shadow Side: materialistic, stern, melancholy, strict, pessimistic

Example
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/2/2e/Toph.png]

Those with the Sun in Capricorn exude a sense of being in charge, and they usually are. They may be in pursuit of status and power, but they never compromise their integrity to get there. These are the masters of the physical realm, and widely admired for what they?re able to accomplish.

They are born with a sense of purpose, and many Capricorn children are mature beyond their years. As they get older, they seem to age in reverse, becoming childlike and retaining a youthful glow. A penchant for melancholy creates a unique filter for Capricorn humor that is known to veer toward the darkly absurd.

A fortress of defenses can keep the curious and insincere at bay in their lives. To the world at large, this can give the Capricorn a remote feeling that is intriguing. But those that pass the test of loyalty are allowed to see a more vulnerable side. At heart, they?re interested in enduring ties, and often look to family and longtime friends for emotional support.

The Sun in Capricorn has an intense drive for achievement that never lets up. They strive for a personal standard of excellence, even if the rest of the world settles for mediocrity. The ones that pursue the Arts have a disciplined approach that sets them apart from mere dreamers. If the Capricorn seems serious, perhaps it?s because they?ve got so much to do. They won?t linger too long in idleness or rest on their laurels when there are mountains to climb.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Libra FTW!

And yeah, the Capricorn sounds like my mom.

22. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    As a Virgo, I resent being compared to Mai.

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    AQUARIUS

Keywords:
    original, Independent, progressive, pioneering, intellectual, compassionate, eccentric
    The Shadow Side: dogmatic, stubborn, rigid, remote, detached, isolated

Examples
    [image=http://webzoom.freewebs.com/bluespiritgal/CharcaterPage/217-mediumKingBumi.jpg] [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/4/4c/Ep44-524.png] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/avatar/images/c/c5/Avatar_Tornado.png]

The Sun in Aquarius has been called the ?rebel? of the zodiac because of their total commitment to their unique vision. They?re uncompromisingly anchored in their own lives, and grant that same autonomy to others. This can make them seem detached and friendly at the same time, with an innate sense that everyone should ?do their own thing.?

These are the ones with a faraway look, most likely thinking brilliant and futuristic thoughts. Their minds seem to roam the outer edges of what is possible, and many of them make the impossible a reality as pioneers in science and technology. And their quirky, wholly original take on life gives them an edge should they venture into the Arts.

They?re tuned into a different frequency, and have a vast mindscape that seems to make them self-sufficient. In other words, they?re happy to spend time alone. Yet as a sign of paradoxes, the Aquarius is also drawn to groups and ?communities.? They?re tuned into the undercurrents of gatherings and can help people act together toward a goal. They?re usually at the forefront of a cause, often before it becomes safe or fashionable to do so.

The Aquarian nature is known as eccentric, but only because it follows that personal golden thread of inspiration to the limits. Another name for this could be genius, since it pushes out into the road less traveled and then goes yet further. While this leads to great achievement, there?s always a chance it can lead to feeling cut off from others -- this is where the loner and ?absent-minded professor? reputation comes into play.

PISCES

Keywords:
    compassionate, creative, mystical, sensitive, romantic, dreamy
    The Shadow Side: escapist, lazy, self-indulgent, overwhelmed, impressionable

Example
    [image=http://avatar-freakin-rocks.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/katara2.jpg]

As the last of the twelve Zodiac signs, Pisces is said to contain aspects of them all. This makes the Pisces Sun so changeable as to appear not to have one singular identity. It's as if they're just touching down in this human reality, and light enough to try on a few personas.

Those with the Sun in Pisces can be so dreamy as to seem "somewhere else" half the time. They're tuned into the spiritual side of things, and this gives them an otherworldly air. It can seem that they're always sensing the emotional currents that run between people, as well as those connecting us to the great beyond.

The Pisces Sun leads with a compassionate heart, which can be both a blessing and a curse. Many are remarkably wise and self-sacrificing when it comes to helping the vulnerable or those down on their luck. But this noble trait can take them down a path of being used and abused before they learn to set strong boundaries.

This is the sign of the mystic poet, and a creative pursuit gives Pisces the motivation to be disciplined. And bringing structure to the vast imagination and shades of emotion flowing within the Pisces nature is a great achievement. Through art, they can bring a bit of heaven down to Earth for the benefit of everyone.

It's important for Pisces Sun to find a sense of purpose to avoid just drifting. Their sensitivity makes them also a tad more vulnerable to escapism through addictions or personal dramas. Finding a sense of worth, self-definition and purpose seem to be some of their life lessons.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So I'm months late here, admittedly, but I just finished the series at Jello's recommendation.

I'll confine my thoughts for the moment to Azula going crazy. I disliked it, because I actually thought it diminished a lot of what else was happening with the character. I thought that up to that point, we'd seen a pretty good job of showing her unevenness in ways that would be natural and human. For instance, when she got so upset at being excluded from Ozai's final battle, I saw it as one of the few signs that, despite everything she's accomplished, she's still very much a teenage girl that in some ways is still trying to prove herself and test the limits of her abilities. It stung because she felt rejected by her father, not because she was turning into a lunatic. Similarly, I thought that Mai and Ty Lee's betrayal was a chance to show loneliness and isolation in a sense that was grounded and impactful. Instead, it was apparently the hair-trigger to a heretofore unpredicted the bout of insanity. As I'm sure you could all guess by this point, I also like the references to Ursa when they were less explicit, as it was never quite clear how hurt Azula was by this, and more intriguingly, how correct her analysis was. The ultimate expression of all this is in her final fight with Zuko, which I don't even see as being reflective of her talents, since she clearly wasn't herself. It would been a much stronger statement in the the character arcs of both her and her brother had she been defeated under more conventional circumstances.

My point, overall, is simple. I don't necessarily think it was a bad idea to show Azula's weakness and instability, as happened throughout the third season. I think it made her a more sympathetic and believable character. However, by making that weakness such a gross and rapid mental decline, a lot of the benefits of it happening in the first place were lost. I don't see how it's plausible that she was that emotionally fragile in the first place, and thus, the takeaway lesson from Azula's character is not a study of the way life events can turns on seemingly small strengths and imperfections of character (as the Zuko/Iroh story tried to stress so often), but instead to an almost sophmoric "Don't be a lunatic." Because, frankly, outside of that, pretty much everything else she ever did was wildly successful, and the trigger for her insanity was, again, not even that plausible.

25. Fel_Freak228

Fel_Freak228 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, all that is true, but you have to remember it's just a TV-Y7 kids show. The creators didn't have all that much time to develop an antagonist's character. They were to busy still developing the main character's personalties. In truth I was surprised that they took Azula's character as far as they did, you don't see complete mental breakdowns on Nick shows that often you know.

Azula is my favorite character in the series, and I was also very disappointed that she didn't get the screen time and development she deserved. But you have to realize the creators did the best they could with Azula's character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.