main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

YJ: Reflections and the Worlds

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Ian_Vincent, Jun 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian_Vincent

Ian_Vincent Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2001
    Why do I care about YJ?

Well, it might have something to do with an expenses paid trip to defend my title and try to win $10,000 or it might just be that I enjoy playing the game.

I've read the reflections spoilers and I must say I'm impressed. By using game text, they've managed to turn three very minor charactors into cards that will make all existing decks obsolete! (depending on how they define "reveal" - sounds like download to hand in ST)

Can you imagine being able to download your wildcard Qui-Gon to hand and still have 5 deploy counters left to play him?

I wonder what they've done with the mains?

So am I going to rush out and buy loads of reflections to get them?

No, I've already qualified and Boonta Eve will be out by November. So I don't need expensive/shiny preview cards (I've no reason to try at DragonCon and I'm not a collector).

It only takes 120 cards to win the worlds, and I'm going to sit back and wait until I know what those cards are. I'm not willing to invest a fortune in cards as there's no local playing community and this will probably be the last worlds for YJ :-(

btw I've many foils including DCon, tournament and UR; plus a Shimi or three. Anybody got UR Mauls to trade?

DT

ps I'd love to see someone reply who's passionate about the game and thinks I should be too. Is anyone?

2. 4Q2

4Q2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2001
    Well, far be it from me to tell the defending world champion how to play the game....
    :)

But there's going to be more to YJ:R than just the preview cards. Armed & Dangerous Characters (characters with built-in weapons), Double Impact and Combo Battle Cards sound like they will help out any decks. Of course, it depends on what those cards are (which characters are they making "Armed & Dangerous", for example) but I think YJ:R will need more than just a cursory glance. YJ:R has the potential of impacting YJ the way EPP and Reflections II impacted SW:CCG.

IMHO....

3. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Awesome the YJ World Champ in the forum :) Welcome Ian.

Someone who's passionate, huh...check out my "Fragments From the Rim" in the new issue of SRL (if you haven't already);)--and I know that Yarua and Golds 4 and 5 (also SRL staff members) also enjoy the game very much. I love YJ to death and I am trying to get as many players I see to give it a chance. YJ is the funnest game not being played right now and I aim to change that...or at least try.

4. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    Yes in deed. we need more players and support. There have been a few time where I was ready to pack it in and sell my collection, then I wouold see the new set then wham I couldn't wait and hoping YJ would make a comeback. Unfortunately it hasn't seemed that way in central CT.

5. Gold_5

Gold_5 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2001
    Hi Ian,

Great to have you amongst us! I'm looking forward to seeing you at DecipherCon & DragonCon?!? this year! Cool.

As a current State Champion of YJ, I too enjoy the game immensely. I only wish others would give it a shot as well. So to remedy that, I do demos of the game.
    what's the point, if there is no one for them to play? Well, I recently started holding SANCTIONED tournaments here in Huntsville. Whaaaaa??? Even in it's heyday.. we had a light turnout for YJ. But now we have a group that is beginning to play and enjoy playing. I mean NEW players, why? How? do you ask? well it's because I showed the game to them, and they liked it.

The problem with people now days, it that they are impatient. They all want to be world champion of every game they play within a month. or a week. If they can't do that, they dump it for some other game, gimmick or whatever... I didn't pick up YJ because I wanted to be State Champ or even a World Contender. Rather, I play it because I like it. Really no other reason. It has a nice, clean simplicity that makes it easy for me to play anybody of any age. I really enjoyed playing 10 times a day with my nephews while I was on christmas vacation on the west coast last year. He has a pile of YJ cards (which BTW are totally inexpensive to buy right now, another reason to pickup the game :)

The thing that hurt YJ the most is the long gap between MoDM and JC. Plus JC brought nothing 'fresh' to the game. With BoN we saw Effects, nice, but not enough. But with Duel of Fates... Dueling Rocks, as well as the new Starship rules (Waaaaay overdue). I think that there is enought strategy now that it can keep people interested.

Now the fact that I own a ton of cards has nothing to do with playability, rather alot to do with collecting. :)

Sure, this may be the final year for YJCCG at Worlds... but then again... maybe not?!? We'll have to see what these next 2 expansions bring to the game. And the Reflections product has ALOT to offer as far as new gameplay goes.

Great to have you posting here! And Congrats on becoming the First STCCG player to break the 2000 rating mark!

Jim Colson
    Gold 5 &
    STCCG Ambassador

6. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    *Finally Yarua reveals himself properly*

I've been very...uh...absent (to say the least) ;) on the forums for a long time, so I thought that now I'm on vacation I'd finally step forward and start posting properly on my favourite subject: Young Jedi.

I came to Young Jedi with absolutely no experience whatsoever with Star Wars. So I never had any precendent to consider Young Jedi to be "too easy" with "no strategy". I went into the game head-first...and I absolutely loved it.

Now I'm no expert. I've only won a few local tournaments, I didn't do well in my States, I have never participated on a National level and I certainly haven't been to the World Championships (BTW, hi there Ian :)). So anything I say is coming from a pure Joe-Schmoe-basis :D.

I enjoy winning: it gives you a sense of well-being that the game you've spent all that money actually does have some nice dividends. I also enjoy losing (though not all the time...I'm a glutton for punishment, but not TOO much punishment ;)): it makes you look at your decks and see how to make them better.

So what do I like best about the game? For some it might be the gameplay...for others the card images...for even more people it might be the collectibility. But for me, it is the pure euphoria of playing around with the Star Wars Universe.

To play around with these characters that I enjoy SO much, is better than anything: to see P-59 and one of his Destroyer Droid roll out of a Multi Troop Transport and attack Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi with his Lightsaber...to watch as Sebulba and Anakin Skywalker compete in their Podracers...to witness Queen Amidala and Captain Panaka confront Nute Gunray and Rune Haako...it's all fantastic. Even to watch events that never really happen (like a Trade Federation Tank attacking a Jawa in the Jedi Council Chamber :)) is just fun for me.

Phew! My teachers at high school WERE right: I have verbal-diahorrea. ;) I didn't realise I've written so much. And I don't think I've really answered Ian's original question. ?[face_plain] Oh well...I hope it gave someone some insight into why I like Young Jedi. :)

7. Ian_Vincent

Ian_Vincent Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2001
    Cool, there are people round here that love the game and not all of them are given free cards by D for saying so ;-)

btw Thanks for the welcome guys and yes I'm being flown out to play at DragonCon, though my YJ decks will probably suck unless I buy/borrow some reflections.

I guess part of my problem is that the last sanctioned game I played was at DCon. There is nobody to play in England. Meanwhile I play ST twice a month, we've got the best playing community in the world!

My other problem is that I'm very good at seeing what the competitive decks are and right now I see very little choice in what to play if you want to win. The game has no balance (ie there is no paper-scissors-stone element to it) :-(

With the new dualing rules, does anyone have a DS deck other than Maul that could take on a top LS deck? (he says trying to start a strategy discussion)

Mind you, each new sets brings hope that breakthrough decks will become viable and create the balance we crave. Having had time to consider, I think the preview cards may help these decks even more than dualing ones!

More to reflections that preview cards?
    I hope I can pick the battle cards up cheap and wonder how useful they can be without dualing (or podracing?) text.
    Armed & Dangerous is a great concept, but with Chuck's strong desire to support charactors who nobody uses and the high deployment cost involved, I wonder how many I'd want to use.

Tip: If you can't get two main charactors and one fodder in the first two deploys then your going to get beat. This is why the Enhanced Tank made such a difference!

DT

ps DT is an American Football nickname that followed me when I get introduced to ST by a teammate.

8. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    My $0.002 worth, in sydney there's a few players but for the life of me I can't get them interested in these forums,I play these guys regularly at SW, started Young Jedi but don't have the capital to get involved. When I get out of uni and into a full time job, then i'll be into it, I love the cards though

9. pinbstr300

pinbstr300 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    welcome Ian!

Id like to say that there are a few threads on this board that I think I have expressed my opinion on YJ, so I wont get into it again. I think it would be enough to say that I love the game and I would really like to see other people in my area be introduced to it. I found it was an easier game to learn than the classic SWCCG, and after you get into the game there are a lot of different stragaties (spelling?) to choose from. The problem is simle, like you said Ian, there is little to no balance in decks that will work. I hope there will be a fix to this with some of the new cards coming out in YJ:R and Boonta Eve.

I would also like to ask a question...
    a while back I put together a killer Tank deck, and my friend countered it with Gungan energy shield. He just tossed 3 of them in his deck then used the new effect grabbing rule to play them at every planet. Is there a way to counter this, or is it best to build a different kind of dark deck? Since I started playing YJ (right around the time of its release) I saw that it was difficult to give a good old fashioned beat down to many types of LS decks. I have experimented with many deck types and found it hard to find a good enough balance to keep me in the game long enough to get out my Maul/Sideous combo, or unleash an Aurra Sing with them and mabye a tank. I have also found it hard to get the right kind of weapon balance.

Mabye we can get together some type of thread where we can discuss the finer points of deck building. That may be one way to show new people a good way to start in the game, and help an old timer like me get a little more life out of my old beaten down decks :) I would be more than willing to start one for each LS and DS, mabye have everyone post up their latest decks and we can get some type of reviews on them. just an idea, and I know I could always use the help of anyone interested in giving me their $0.02 :) thanks a lot, and again welcome Ian!

10. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Sure, why not? This is a Star Wars card game forum (small "c", small "g"). It was never meant to be just for the Star Wars CCG ;)

11. pinbstr300

pinbstr300 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    wonderful...I will try to get something up by the end of the weekend. I will have my decks posted (hopefully) and mabye if that works out make the same type of thing for SWCCG decks. it is good (at least in my opinion) to see what everyone else plays so it is easier for those of us who dont get to go to tournies often to get a basic idea of what plays well, and what we need to work on, and watch out for.
    the idea would be to have everyone post their latest decks, and then PM, reply, or email some type of response based on that deck to help that player and others. it is definately something Id get involved in. what does everyone else think?

12. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I am passionate about this game from the perspective that it is a great game for kids to play. Decipher's games can be difficult to follow, filled with this rule and that rule that will basically blow the mind of the average 10 year old and turn them off card games for life.

I am not 10, but I teach 10 year olds, and I have played the starter decks with them. That is all the cards I have (I can't afford to keep up with more than one game, though i am looking at getting into JK). However, once YJR comes out, I will be personally buying my usual quota of packets (About $100 Australian currency worth) At the same time, I am going to go through the common and uncommon boxes oat my local retailer to get what i don't score in the YJR packs. Why? Because I am guaaranteed to get heaps of new cards to actually start building decks with and makign the game different for my students. I like the art, the gameplay, everything about YJ.

I am passionate about it becfause it is a EP1 game. Many fans know little or nothing about the OT. My students sometimes look at my SW cards and are only interested in my Tatooine cards because they clearly recognise them. Darth, Luke and Old Obi arent as interesting as seeing Jar Jar or images of Maul, Watto, Qui-Gon and the like. If the big D are going to have 2 OT games, they should have an EP1 game as well.

YJ is fun. Play it dammit. Try out JK as well. THat is fun too. But Decipher need to revitalise YJ. Do you still remember the days when everything on D's website was YJ, YJ and YJ? I do. Now JK is getting the same treatment, and Yj is being treated like that once favourite toy now forgotten (I am quoting a statement I remember reading but I can't remember where).

My two cent (Australian Currency) worth.

:)

13. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I LOVE YJ. I started playing it shortly after it first came out (I was introduced to it on TPM opening night, actually), but haven't bought any new cards since Naboo... I could probably put together a hell of a deck if I actually invested some money in the game.

I find YJ to be far more enjoyable than the standard SW:CCG. I used to play the latter but it got stacked way too heavily with constant rule revisions in every major expansion that made all my cards obsolete (same goes for Magic: The Gathering which used to be cool but really went downhill).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.