main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC and Amphitheater] Something that needs to be moderated

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Captain_Typho, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Something that's been nagging me for a long time is the amount of confusion over what should be posted on these two boards. For instance, last year, The Two Towers Extended Edition Thread was in the Amphitheater board, this year The Return of the King Extended Edition Thread is in the YJCC board. My question is this. Aren't artistic threads supposed to be confined to the Amphitheater board......if not, it sort of seems pointless to have the amphitheater board......

In my opinion, YJCC threads like "The U2 fan thread, Johnny Depp fan thread, Hayden Christensen fan thread, Reliant K, Rap and Urban music, should all be moved to the Amphitheater board. I mean, what's the point of having the amphitheater board if people are gonna post stuff about music and movies in the YJCC board? Any thoughts on this?

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Well the Amphitheater is supposed to be for in-depth discussion of the arts, and not really gushing like most fan threads would bring forth. Which is the way I think it should be, keep most of the gushing in YJCC and leave the actual discussion in a place thats more mature so to speak. As for getting rid of Amph, I'd be against that primarily for two reasons. The first is, if it is closed then a lot of the discussion in the Amph threads would be degraded upon entering the JCC, as you'll get people who go in there with the sole intent of disrupting the discussion. Also, due to the large number of posts and new topics in JCC, many of those topics will be lost within hours.

At least if they were all in Amph, its easier to find a topic on say. . . The X-Files than it would be in JCC. As Amph is slower, so less topics especially having no non-art discussion make it easier to find any given topic that may be in that forum.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    You want the Hayden Fan Club in the Amphitheater? Haven't posted there in awhile, but I htink they want posts that consist of more then: "Hayden *SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON [face_love] [face_love] "

4. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    ok, so the fan threads can stay in the YJCC. But this still doesn't account for the fact that The Return of the King thread, the 24 season 4 thread, and other such threads are in YJCC. They are discussion threads concerning the artistic work, not just fan threads......I think it might be time for a definitive policy as to what sort of threads are YJCC threads and which belong in the Amphitheater, and they need to be regulated by mods.....

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    If the amphitheatre is supposed to be artsy, then why do we talk about National Treasure and Spongebob, which are far from it?

Speaking of YJCC, it is such a broad forum of topics. From everyday nonsense which is always fun to read to hundred page threads about cult followings, Harry Potter, LOTR, Wrestling, Sports, etc.

After ROTS, will JC become more of a wider appealing forum or will it predominantly remains exclusive to SW as this era is soon coming to a close.

There is much to still discuss with the saga, but if there isn't a wider appeal after ROTS, will JC remain the same or become more media and social based?

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Even though the movies will of come to an end (and I pray that they stay that way) SW will still be the primary focus of the JC. There is always the EU to fall back on, and there are the upcoming SW tv shows. I believe its confirmed that there will be a live action tv show and then an animated one? Please correct me if I'm wrong in that regard.

If the amphitheatre is supposed to be artsy, then why do we talk about National Treasure and Spongebob, which are far from it?

Last I checked movies and cartoons are a form of art and they can all be discussed in depth, on the impacts Spongebob has had on kids, how much of an impact is it having on society (face it kids love the show, much like they did the Ghostbusters in the '80s). THe artistic styles that are used in it, and so much more. Same can be said for National Treasure about the historical content and how it kinda travels the world or some such (I havn't seen the movie and I want to). There is always something in-depth to be discussed about any particular movie.

I thought there were two threads for the ROTK, 24, etc. one in JCC and the other in Amph? Guess I was wrong about that. :p

7. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    Yeah, but we shouldn't have two ROTK threads or 2 24 threads in different boards. To be honost, I found it frustrating when trying to look for a ROTK extended board and a 24 board in the amphitheater forum, and happened upon them in the community forum..... The tv show 24 is discussed in YJCC while Family Guy is discussed in the Amphitheater......

makes no sense to me the disposition of these threads........

I want to hear what Sapes, Raven, and Katya_Jade have to say about this though......

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I guess everyone has their opinion of what they feel as a form of art. I was just thinking innovative films like Sky Captain or independent films or Oscar nominees as a form of art.

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    1) Spongebob Squarepants is as much a form of art as a Botticelli.

2) If all ROTK discussion (for example) is sent to the Amp, then where would one go to discuss the film in a light-hearted and non in-depth manner, to discuss it in a more trivial manner? Nowhere, I reckon... because the Amp is for serious and in-depth discussion. Sending all threads about art to the Amp would severely limit the available discussion on such subjects. It would be, serious, or nothing... which is daft.

10. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Star Wars Community : Star Wars Saga
    =
    YJCC : Amphitheater (Art/Music/Movies)
    =
    YJCC : Senate Floor (News/Politics/Religion/Theory)

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The difference between the Amphitheatre and JCC comes down to the style of discussion, not the subjects of discussion themselves. The Amphitheatre is meant for in-depth and more analytical talk, whereas the JCC has more short posts and quick thoughts.

Some older threads in the JCC (like the U2 thread) predate the Amphitheatre, so keep that in mind.

12. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    Well then lets go back to my original question. Why have the amphitheater at all? I honostly see no difference between the types of threads posted in the amphitheater and the threads posted in the YJCC. As I said before.....all LOTR threads have always seemed to sprout up in the amphitheater before....except for the ROTK EE thread which for whatever reason ended up in YJCC. All I'm trying to say is: A mod should have locked the rotk ee thread in YJCC and asked the poster to instead post it in Amphitheater, because the ROTK EE thread IS an in depth discussion of the movie, the changes, etc. I think the amphitheater board is pointless unless a line is drawn as to what belongs where.....rather than people just opening threads wherever. Because then I get lost on the boards looking for a topic in the amphitheater when it is hiding 4 pages back in the YJCC.....

13. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I honostly see no difference between the types of threads posted in the amphitheater and the threads posted in the YJCC.

That's essentially true, but the content of the threads are entirely different. The JCC allows a simple, easy going interpretation of any given subject/topic/movie/celeb/current event.

Something along the line of "did you see 24?, it rocked!". Whereas in the Amph you'd get a break down of characters and possible plot directions.

Similarly you'd get a thread on a current event in the JCC consisting of "that **** is whack", whereas in the Senate you'd get an identical thread, but the content would be about world implications, or historical events that relate to whats going on.

Same thread title, different audience. You should stick to the forum(s) that suit your online experience the most.

I'm a JCC man, and that says a lot about me :D

14. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I agree with Malkie.

15. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    YJCC is for a casual talk about one of those things. Amp offers a more in-depth and serious discussion of it.

I see nothing wrong with the current system.
    Fan clubs for actors and directors don't belong in Amp.

-Seldon

16. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    ok, i get what you all are saying. I'm just pointing out that several of the threads that sprout up in the YJCC are artistic interpretation threads...........and some threads that sprout up in the amphitheater are just jabbering threads......for instance, I created a thread entitled "the official shattered glass discussion thread" in the amphitheater last year. Granted, some discussion of the film went on but a lot of it was members of the HC fan club thread over in YJCC jabbering on about how hot Hayden was, posting pics of Hayden etc. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but did the point of posting that thread in the amphitheater make any difference as opposed to it being posted in the YJCC? Probably not. Which brings up another point. If the amphitheater is going to be a place for insightful discussion of artistic works, and not just a board for babbling on about a show or movie or band, then moderation needs to be stricter on what kinds of posts are acceptable so we don't end up with something that's similar in content and conversation to threads in the YJCC. As far as I see it now, YJCC should be a place for fans to babble on about their favorite shows, what movie they're looking forward to seeing and Amphitheater should be a place for serious discussion about what is presented in the artistic works themselves......cause right now, a lot of what goes on in Amphitheater is just too similar to YJCC threads....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.