main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

YJCC Mod Issue/ Policy Question

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I tried taking this up with Bria directly, but I?m not getting my questions answered to my satisfaction. Therefore I?m going to the next step. I am all for taking problems with mods to mods, but really, if the mod is horribly biased and won?t listen to reason, what am I to do?

So, in the last couple of months, I started a series of threads, regarding unknown facts about another JC user. The user himself enjoys these, and had he ever expressed otherwise I would have ceased immediately. Each of these threads lasts for a few hours, gets around 50 posts posts, and then dies. I enjoy making them, they cause no trouble, and I?ve even made a few friends due to them.

Note: I asked Bria?s permission to post her PMs, but she refused.

So, I log on this morning, and get a PM from Bria, telling me to cease and desist, with no reason given. She asked me to simply add on to the last new one.

I was a little surprised, considering the threads have been motoring along quite nicely.

So I replied:
    ?What's the difference between new ones and upping a previous one??

Bria was not online at the time, so while I waited, I made this thread, in order to gauge user feelings toward the threads themselves, and the issue of each one getting a new thread. There were a few negatives, but I?m almost certain any thread would garner some of that. Over all though, it was surprisingly positive, even from posters who have expressed dislike for the threads in the past.

I even had an admin post, and suggest I expand to include more than one user in my fact threads. (Surely that can?t be the only issue?)

Meanwhile, having seen the thread, a few users PMed me, and asked what was up. While I told them about Bria?s PM, I didn?t mention this in public, wanting unbiased feedback in the thread I created.

Eventually, Bria does get online and responds to my post. She suggested that multiple threads are not needed, and that it?s only necessary when previous threads have received many, many replies. How many the cut off is, I cannot say. She then made incorrect assumptions regarding my intent for making the threads.

I replied: ?That's a load of crap and a double standard. Do you close Short Rounds threads that are basically pointless little rants? Nope. If I said each of these things was about me and not B and didn?t have similar titles, there wouldn't be a problem.

I started a thread, without mention of any PM, to see what other users thought. Most ppl enjoy them, and like that they're all separate.

You are over managing. Why have you started such a thing?

You need to explain why it was allowed, if it's spam. Explain why nonsense like shortys is not spam, and explain why one a day that disappears after a few hours is so much more trouble than a thread that has thousands of posts.

You really need to stop micro managing things that are fine left alone. These threads cause no trouble. They're enjoyable. Just because they don?t fit your personal taste, doesn't make them bad. Really, mod with common sense.?

To which Bria suggested that any other user would have stopped making new threads. I do resent the implication.

She then said this was the opinion of all the YJCC mods, and effectively closed communications.

So, I am left with the following questions:
    1. Why has it not been a problem from 1-36 (without 9 of course)
    2. Why is a new thread each day different from one long thread (they do not clog up the front page?if they did, I could understand)
    3. If this was decided by all the YJCC mods, and a thread regarding the issue shows a majority of regular users being positive, why are the YJCC mods so out of touch?
    4. Can discussion of mod decisions actually result in any change, or is the suggesting that it can merely blowing smoke?
    5. there are very similar things in teh YJCC, the difference being they don't have similar titles? Can this really be that purile?

More questions may arise, but for now that?s it.

2. HannibalLecter

HannibalLecter Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2000
  3. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    This is really lame. Maybe they should just make a rule not allowing fun threads that don't really have a point.

[face_plain]

4. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I tried taking this up with Bria directly, but I?m not getting my questions answered to my satisfaction. Therefore I?m going to the next step. I am all for taking problems with mods to mods, but really, if the mod is horribly biased and won?t listen to reason, what am I to do?

Could it be that you just don't like the answer? I explained my reasons to you, both in PMs and in the thread you posted. You didn't like the answer, so I must be doing something wrong.

Eventually, Bria does get online and responds to my post. She suggested that multiple threads are not needed, and that it?s only necessary when previous threads have received many, many replies. How many the cut off is, I cannot say. She then made incorrect assumptions regarding my intent for making the threads.

You were making a new thread each day for the sole reason of posting a new made up "fact." I never took what your intent for the thread into consideration (that really isn't the point), I looked at the fact that posting basically posting the same thread over and over is necessary and spamy. This was discussed amongst the JCC mods and we all agreed it was time to limit it to one thread and I PMed Ignant to tell him that. No matter how cool a user someone is, they don't need multiple threads about them posted all the time.

5. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    And what is the "official answer"?

EDIT: You know, since you make it sound like it's unarguable. I'd like to hear your version, and I await being amazed and convinced.

6. Bria

May 15, 1999
    "Official answer?" I'm not sure what you mean by that. Users are allowed to have fun in the JCC. That is what attracks a lot of users to the forum. But having all these facts in twenty threads really doesn't make it any more fun than if it was in one.

7. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    "Official answer?" I'm not sure what you mean by that. Users are allowed to have fun in the JCC. That is what attracks a lot of users to the forum. But having all these facts in twenty threads really doesn't make it any more fun than if it was in one.

This makes sense if he was starting them all at the same time. But spread out over weeks... months... who cares? Each thread is about an individual topic of discussion that happens to relate to Amazing B.

I think Paul's point about Shorty's 3 random crap threads a day is an extremely valid point.

Also, it's not like the B threads get 5 posts and sink. They actually generate pages of discussion.

8. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    wow, that was like the longest post I've ever actually read.

Shame on you Bria.

I think...

9. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "You were making a new thread each day for the sole reason of posting a new made up "fact." I never took what your intent for the thread into consideration (that really isn't the point), "

You realise you just assigned my reason as merely 'posting a new made up 'fact'?

Please answer each of the questions I posted at the bottom.

And obviously I don't like your answer, otherwise I wouldn't have made this thread.

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I think that these threads, along with SRMcF?s rants, are some of the best things in Community. They?re straight out of left field, funny, and inspire about 30-60 replies each. A 300-3000 post thread for the purpose wouldn?t work as well.

1. It?d be like having to click through multiple pages of ads every morning to get to my Dilbert cartoon fix.

2. It?d be a turnoff to people new to the threads, and to those that dislike reading or posting in long threads ? I personally only very, very rarely read a Community thread with more than about 25 posts.

3. Having one thread a day along these lines doesn?t seem to push other threads down ? there?s generally only one or two of these threads on the front page, so we?re not seeing good threads lost because of it.

4. Having numerous smaller threads is generally easier on the boards system than having one large thread.

5. It makes it easier to find any given thing we didn?t know about AmazingB. Putting them all in one thread makes it kind of hard to figure out where the entries from the middle are exactly.

6. It?s the kind of thread that we need more of in Community, and I think that those that like the threads, like them a lot. Viva la AmazingB!

It does no harm, I think that it?s more convenient for most everyone to have individual threads, and they?re some of the more entertaining threads in Community these days. My strong suggestion to Community moderators is to allow them to continue in the established format.

11. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    It?s the kind of thread that we need more of in Community, and I think that those that like the threads, like them a lot. Viva la AmazingB!

I heartily agree.

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    All this seems like is another case of the new mods overturning a previous ruling. The threads were fine with the previous crew and were apparently fine for several weeks of the new crew, but now they're not? Kate was locking the old threads when a new one was posted to make sure they didn't flood the first page.

It can't be an issue of server space, because there are over 350 pages of locked threads in the back of the JCC?

It can't be redundancy, since the threads are different except in the title.

It can't be spam, since the former catch-all JC definition of spam was dropped, as it made no sense.

Ultimately, it seems to be down to one long thread, or one new thread every day, which really isn't all that different so long as the previous versions are kept off the first page. And the new threads get some 30-50 posts, so people must enjoy them. One long thread wouldn't do nearly as well.

But then, the threads are about me, so maybe I'm biased.

I really don't want to be a bitter ex-mod. :(

Amazing.

13. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    This is why I never meant all those terrible thing sI said about Raven. It's good to know someone has their head on straight. And that was purely a compliment to Raven and is in no way meant as an insult to anyone else.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, the major problem I can see is that no action was taken until the 36th thread or so.

Why the sudden reversal (even allowing for MS discussion for a period of several days)?

15. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Why has it not been a problem from 1-36 (without 9 of course)

Yes, we should have stopped it earlier.

Why is a new thread each day different from one long thread (they do not clog up the front page?if they did, I could understand)

Before starting a thread, users are supposed to look back a few pages to see if there is already a thread on the topic they wish to start. You are starting a new thread every day on the same topic and think it?s ok. Double standards?

If this was decided by all the YJCC mods, and a thread regarding the issue shows a majority of regular users being positive, why are the YJCC mods so out of touch?

You want this place run by a popularity contest?

Can discussion of mod decisions actually result in any change, or is the suggesting that it can merely blowing smoke?

Sure, change can occur. Just not every single time you want it.

There are very similar things in teh YJCC, the difference being they don't have similar titles? Can this really be that purile?

I can?t think of another topic that has 36 identical threads.

You can have all the fun you like with the AmazingB facts. Just keep it in the one thread.

16. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    But, they aren't the same topic, which is a fact you're ignoring. Say the trhead titles were not similar and I said these things about myself. It wouldn't be an issue. That is why there is a double standard.

17. The Bigger Fish

Apr 24, 2000
    Each topic centres on a new amazing fact about AmazingB. They can all fit neatly into one thread.

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Have there been complaints about the threads?

19. Bria

May 15, 1999
    1. Why has it not been a problem from 1-36 (without 9 of course)

At first they were cute, and older versions were locked. I also don't think it would continue for so long. It has though, and I don't see any justifible reason for any user to have 37+ threads about them to contain one fact in each. It's overkill.

2. Why is a new thread each day different from one long thread (they do not clog up the front page?if they did, I could understand)

Starting a thread over to post a new fact isn't necessary. Threads are generally locked and restarted when they get large so they can start again and possible get new people interested. This obviously wasn't the case with your threads. The threads generally had the same people replying all the time, with a few people new to the thread popping in for each and then leaving, so making one thread for all the facts would probably get the same peopple respoinding. I realize they were posted in the past, but that doesn't mean things can't change.

3. If this was decided by all the YJCC mods, and a thread regarding the issue shows a majority of regular users being positive, why are the YJCC mods so out of touch?

I checked out the thread and it seemed pretty neutral. Some in favor, some against. Nothing too surprising.

4. Can discussion of mod decisions actually result in any change, or is the suggesting that it can merely blowing smoke?

Yes, it is possible. Comms is to discuss and promote communication between members and users.

5. there are very similar things in teh YJCC, the difference being they don't have similar titles? Can this really be that purile?

All the AmazingB threads were not just very similar, they were just about identical. The fact may, but the title, user, etc stayed the same.

20. The Bigger Fish

Apr 24, 2000
    Have there been complaints about the threads?

Yes.

21. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Each topic centres on a new amazing fact about AmazingB. They can all fit neatly into one thread.

The MLB, NFL, and NHL threads can all fit neatly into one thread about sports.

And all the movie related threads can fit neatly into one thread about movies.

And the Dark Lords and Lightsiders and BYS threads can all fit neatly into one thread about JCC Social Groups.

And all the "[random actor/acress] is hot" threads can fit into one catch-all thread.

Yes.

I know of one user who said he was going to complain. Were you waiting for an excuse to do something? If one user doesn't like the threads and a dozen or more do, doesn't it make sense to allow the Community to decide what it wants? If the threads weren't popular, no one would post. Supply and demand and all that. Why shut down threads people enjoy?

Amazing.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    What was the nature of the complaints, if I may inquire?

23. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    I like those threads. And if it was one thread, there would be too much reading. I might be gone for a few hours, and I would have to read a lot of pages most likely. And if the people who are complaining don't like the threads, then they shouldn't post in them and should just ignore them.

24. The Bigger Fish

Apr 24, 2000
    What was the nature of the complaints, if I may inquire?

Basically asking why different standards were being applied in regards to the AmazingB threads.

25. Darth_Smelly

Darth_Smelly Jedi Master star 4

Mar 29, 2004
    I for one love Ignant's threads and actually look forward to them....as do a lot of people in my opinion.
    This is nitpicking overkill in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.