[YJCC] Moderator Coverage

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight

star 5
    After observing for a few months now I've noticed that there are times when the YJCC is left unmoderated for several hours on end. Yesterday there was a period of 4 1/2 hours when a YJCC moderator was not online.

Now first, the current team is doing a great time. droideka, Hawk, KW and Kavic all work hard to keep the place running smoothly. I'm not pointing a finger at them.

My point is that leaving the YJCC unattended for long periods of time gives opportunity to trolling, flaming and baiting. Yesterday I had to PM moderators outside of the YJCC to take care of threads in the YJCC.

When Quix left I was surprised that he wasn't going to be replaced. In my opinion, a forum that gets as much traffic as the YJCC definitely needs 5 dedicated moderators.

Once again, this is not a reflection on the current team. It is a request that the current team be augmented . . . preferably with colors that aren't blue. ;)
  2. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Do not deny the power of the blue. What hours was the gap during? Tuesdays are my busy days, as i am at school without a computer from 9:30 to 8pm. It's the day i personally am online the least, usually.
  3. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    I think the slump in coverage (if there is one) is temporary. As mentioned in last week's MS Update, my online time was reduced over the past week (as in being online for only a few minutes at a time, a few times a day). So, the JCC has essentially had three moderators since last Thursday.

I'm pretty much back online regularly, minus my new cable difficulties (which are interfering with my browsing at the moment).

When Quix left I was surprised that he wasn't going to be replaced. In my opinion, a forum that gets as much traffic as the YJCC definitely needs 5 dedicated moderators.

Not necessarily. It just needs people who cover it reasonably well throughout the day, and if four people are able to do that, then that's all that's really needed. If two or three people were realistically able to do that, that would be fine too. That's just not really possible, so it hasn't happened anytime in the past few years (though it probably has in practice a few times, due to some moderators being more absentee than active posters).

Kavic was promoted to handle primarily the A.M. hours (board time), and Tracy and I are handling the evening hours. Hawk pretty much takes care of the late evening and overnight time.

So far as I know, its worked well enough so far. If that's not true, I'd definitely like to hear about it. Bear in mind that I haven't been around lately and should be back to my usual presence soon, if I'm not already back (just a matter of my connection at this point).
  4. Alethia Jedi Master

star 5
    I've noticed that sometimes when I'm on, there isn't a mod around either. Then again, I'm always on at weird hours, because of the time differences...

I'll keep an eye out for specific times, though.

preferably with colors that aren't blue.

Heh. Even though blue's one of my favorite colors, I will admit there's a lot of it. *grins*
  5. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight

star 5
    I noticed it yesterday between 12:30pm and 5:00pm (yes, I'm a clock watcher :p) and generally I notice it in the afternoon. And for some odd reason on Saturday nights. I hope you YJCC mods aren't being selfish and having a life or something ;)

Really, it is my observation that the team for that forum functions best with 5. And no, I'm not recommending anyone. I'm making an observation.

Red and Black pwn blue
  6. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    I noticed it yesterday between 12:30pm and 5:00pm (yes, I'm a clock watcher tongue ) and generally I notice it in the afternoon.

I believe it, given that I wasn't online as I normally would be during that time.

Really, it is my observation that the team for that forum functions best with 5

I rather think that four is the best number. Five starts to get to be too many, and having too many cooks in the kitchen isn't always a good thing.
  7. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight

star 5
    OK, again, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. We all have a life outside of these boards . . . in theory at least.

I've noticed this over the past few months. I'd be looking for a YJCC mod and couldn't find one.

In all fairness, it was the same case when I would be spending time in the ROTS forum trying to help out by being a "helpy helper" [face_dancing]
  8. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I've gotten several PMs over the past couple days to the effect of, "This isn't really your turf, but no YJCC mods have logged on in over an hour, and there's stuff needs dealing with." So it's at least something of an issue.
  9. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    Anything that's been an issue going back only since this time last week probably has at least something to do with my absence. That may sound egotistical, but I'm around pretty often, and I went from that to virtually nothing until last night (and then I was hampered by a lousy connection).

If it goes back weeks or even months, that's something worth looking into.
  10. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master

star 5
    I love the YJCC Mods. [face_dancing]

[image=http://www.halley.cc/jaime/2003/2003-10-05_blue_cow.jpg]

Here. I will sacrfice the blue cow in your honor, as soon as that annoying kid gets out of the way.

Now, this sacrifice comes from a religion-obsessed agnostic and a meat-eating animal lover.

Please consider this to be a huge compliment. :D
  11. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Thanks for adding so much to this discussion, TSW.
  12. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight

star 5
    As I said, I've noticed this over the past few months and had mentioned it to Sapes back in early July and he agreed with me. (Please note that I was so overwhelmed with Sapes agreeing with me that it is burned into my memory). :p
  13. The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master

star 5
    No cow for you! [face_not_talking]

Here's my addition: I'm glad to see that users are actually keeping track of moderators.
    I'm glad to see moderators treating people like ..... people, and not getting all defensive when they are questioned. I'm also glad to see moderators just ignoring the rantings of a crazy woman instead of being condescending. :)

Again, no cow for you. :)

14. Everton Force Ghost

star 10
    I must admit to being surprised that Quix wasn't replaced. I've always thought five was the best number for the JCC. If five are covering the 24 hours, then there's a good chance that if one of that five is away for whatever reason, then 'noticable' gaps in coverage would be avoided. I'd say three mods would be pushing it for the JCC under any circumstances, and six would leave teh mods stepping on each other's toes. When I was a mod (and granted it was only for a short while), I remember coverage being quite good. zac and malkie took care of overnight board time, I had morning to the middle of the afternoon / late afternoon, and Tracy and Amos dealt with the evenings. And there was always a bit of overlap in the middle either way (zac or malkie on later, or Tracy and Amos on earlier) with the aim that if one person wasn't about for some reason, the chances of a JCC mod being unreachable were slim.

Obviously, if the current JCC mods (in the blue and white finery :D ) feel things are okay then that's cool, but to me five feels the most comfortable number. With five, it's the potential for a little bit of overlap (never a bad thing in moderation) that helps cover if one member of the team is uh... 'having their tonsils out'. :p With four, that potential is... whilst not invisible... noticably reduced.
  15. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I think 5 is best too, but the 5th person needs to be on at a very specific time... and it's a little difficult to find a person when it's septemeber and so many of our users are transitioning from summer to being back in school.
  16. Everton Force Ghost

star 10
  17. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    No forum is going to have 24 hour coverage every day. But at the same time, standard operating procedure around the JC has long been to have just enough mods rather than more than enough, so that any mod absence becomes rather noticeable. Of course, like Knight said, you don't want too many mods. The fewer mods you have the easier it is to get everyone on the same page and have some consistency within the forum. So perhaps it is best to see if this occasional lack of coverage has a negative effect on the forum before adding anyone. Unless a proactive approach is taken to stop any potential problems before they start.

I enjoy how I have successfully argued both sides.

Amazing.
  18. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Thanks B :p Things are so clear now!

It is true that we said in the MS update that he would not be replaced... but from my understanding of the conversations between JCC mods, it would be more accurate to say "he will not be replaced at this time." Nothing is absolute, and we should definitely be open to change for the betterment of the forum, but as i mentioned above, sept is a really hard month to promote in. I say give it another week or two and if coverage is still a major problem, we can find someone to promote.
  19. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    As KW indicated above, I think it's just part of the normal rotation due to real life. All of us can help out for "spot checks," and like other mods, I know I don't mind being contacted to clean up a dirty word that may pop up now and again. Every forum has gaps here and there.

20. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Dark_Lady_Jada posted on 4/14/05 4:19pm
    Red and Black pwn blue
    />

Seriously though, if there's something serious going on I don't mind a PM if I'm around. But I doubt that would ever happen once KW's internet is back to normal. :p
    />/>
  21. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6

September is quite a rough month. Many of us are starting back or have started back to school, myself included. I notice my posting times have been different since starting back (early morning IF I CAN WAKE UP, afternoon from school and nowish) when in the summer it was a little different. Many feel the same way. Enough about me, it's hard to find somebody in this transitional part of the year. Just like in January or May, people change their posting schedules due to another semester or summer.

I notice when I get off of school 10AM to 3PM is low coverage as Jada has already said. Though it's a low point in the day right now, it won't be in Novemberish. I can already predict that registration will be up then due to the ROTS DVD, Clone Wars 2 and the holiday season. We saw it anytime some major for SW was released.

I was talking to a fellow user about the situation a few days back and suggested the idea of a floater mod. Someone who floats between timeframes to catch people off-guard. It's common knowledge that Hawk and Kavic do the first half of the day. Tracy and KW do the second half of the day. You know when they're on. Trolls prey on gaps in the system. Especially in the JCC, since it is the largest and most popular forum here.

Do I think four is enough. Tracy, Hawk, Kavic and KW do a great job and four is good. But it doesn't hurt to have helping hands. No more than five for sure. BTW, we need a non-blue in the future.

LA BLUE RESISTANCE LIVES ]ON[/b] :p
  22. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Well, technically... during school i am on at weird times all throughout the day... between classes and stuff :p but i know what you mean.

PS it's JCC not YJCC, jeez, only n00bs call it YJCC :p
  23. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ahem, "Your Jedi Council Community" = YJCC. :p
  24. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
  25. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    He's got 6 months on you Tracy. :p

Don't want to get OT, but the Y should be permdropped from the forum name. JCC for all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.