main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC] Moderator Coverage

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alt0233

alt0233 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    Here's an original and unique idea.

Whenver a mod absence causes a problem, PM all the mods on the YJCC staff. That way they can't say they don't think it's a problem.

Until then, wait it out. If we go another month without a fifth mod it won't be the end of the world, seeing as we've done it for so long.

2. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    Well, if I ever created the impression that i had no confidence in the current mods, im sorry. I do have full confidence in them. And I truly respect them for the great job and the many, many hours they spend modding the JCC.

However, what I tried to address here is that I, and several other regular posters on the JCC, noticed gabs. As Jada said: evidence is being gathered to give you evidence and an idea of the times these gaps occur. We just hope that this problem gets acknowledged and dealt with before any serial-troll or who knows might (ab-)use these gabs to really create mayhem.

Again, this is not being done out of disrespect, but because we, like the JCC-mods, care for the JCC.

3. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think anyone here is voicing any distrust against the JCC staff as it stands. Suggesting someone is being unfair to the moderation group because they are voicing their concerns is somewhat unfair to them, IMO.

I definitely am not against allowing some time to pass on this matter for two reasons. 1), as KW said, he is back and there will be more coverage simply based on that. 2), it would give time for Jada's log to develop some for us ALL to see if there is a definitive pattern of a lapse in coverages that leaves the forum open to some of the 'attacks' that we see rather routinely there.

Now, by saying that I support a momentary "wait and see", to allow time for evaluation on the issue that's been presented, I don't mean that I am against there being a 'full-time' fifth moderator on the forum as there has been in the past.

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Dear zerosleep:

Can you please develop a PM function that mass sends PMs to all moderators, managers and administrators?

;)

I don't mind waiting. And I'm certainly NOT trying to be disrespectful. I do however mind when I bring up a problem and am told "This isn't a problem."

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I do however mind when I bring up a problem and am told "This isn't a problem."

What else should someone say if they don't feel there's a problem?

6. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    What Satimber usually says "Oh . . . Jada's right" ;)

If you look back through the thread there are others who have supported my opinion and not just pushed it aside. Having to state, restate, counterstate, etc. does nothing.

Once again, I don't have a problem with the current team. I do think that it is missing a player. If you look at this from a hockey point of view, you are in the position of defending your goal.

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    But I haven't pushed it aside, and I don't think any other JCC moderator has either. Rather, I've simply disagreed with you and given specific reasons as to why I disagree.

Is disagreement now a form of pushing people aside?

8. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I haven't said you were pushing me aside, KW. I've said my concern has been pushed aside. Perhaps I should have used discounted or invalidated rather than pushed aside. :)

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I don't think he's pushing it aside (or invalidating your point of view), Jada. I think the issue is that the JCC mods feel that the current coverage in the forum is adequate. Could another mod help? Possibly. Could it just be cluttering up the works? Possibly. I think it's one of those things where there's two views on "gaps" and what's acceptable and what's not. While you may feel those gaps are detrimental to the forum, the current mods apparently don't feel the same. That's not to say that if your findings show a consistent time(s) where there is a gap that they won't seriously consider a promotion in order to help fill in the coverage.

It's always been the bane of Comms when mods and users disagree about a course of action that the mods are labeled as "ignorning" the issue and the users are labeled as "creating drama". I think we all just need to step back and realize that all of us want this place to run well and that the mod coverage should be adequate for a forum. I'm sure the JCC mods will do what's necessary to make that happen if, indeed, there is a consistent time where we're missing coverage. I'm sure that you could PM or post your findings so that we can see if there's a pattern in the coverage gaps that you say are happening and go from there.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Kate, plz come back. Thx.

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    KW, let the woman raise her youngling and leave the JCC to the Blue Mod Administration or what whatever you guys call yourself now. :p Down the road, she'd be a great returning asset. Don't get me wrong, she did a fine job last year. :D

Getting back to the current status. It comes down to the idea that if the mods can handle it, then leave the JCC as is. Though round-the-clock coverage is preferable from my POV, it's seriously not realistic unless you promote everyone and everything. It aint happening.

There's bound to be breaks in the system. There are times when I click on all four and see that "the lights are on and nobody's home". It's really not a problem unless there are problem users. One simple troll/flame/spam fest when all four are not on is not enough to bring somebody up into the MS or an emeriti back. However, if it does stay persistent and they do occur around the same time of day for quite a long period of time, then I'd agree to bring somebody back. But until then leave as is.

12. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    Seconded. ;) [/off-topic]

13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Just because you don't see the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

By the same token, just because you do see a problem doesn't mean it really exists, either. Is there really any sort of significant trolling occurring in the JCC these days? Or are there just occasional threads that maybe should be locked but last an hour or two longer than they would with complete mod saturation?

Amazing.

14. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    There was an instance about an hour ago where two identical spam threads were posted, trying to get users to join this spammer's website. They survived until a moderator, Ender_Sai, logged on and deleted them. This is an example of a lapse in the JCC moderation, but also an example of what should happen in case there are no JCC mods online. Another mod can lock the topic and there is no problem. Even if a 5th JCC mod is promoted I know that at times there will still be laspses in the moderation [the same can be said for any tf.n board]. While a 5th JCC mod may cut down on "lapse time" it will not eliminate it. I think it's best to leave this up to the JCC mods and the MS to decide what they want to do.

15. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I would just like to comment on 1 thing that Jada touched on earlier.

"I know that I'm not the only user who feels this way and I have been approached by users who say that they feel not only is the YJCC unmoderated but so are other forums such as the EUF, SWC and WNU."

I also feel that the EUC and SWC are undermoderated. There are some serious issues in the EUC, and it has nothing to do with Ghengis evacuating for Katrina, the problems were there before the hurricane. Many in the EUC feel that the threads there are off topic a lot, and there are some serious concerns about it. I don't want to bag on our Mods there, but it is clear that some assistance is needed to put the forum back on the right track.

Any who post in the SWC now, or used to in the past can easily see what has happened to the SWC in the past year, many of the older users that went there do not bother any more, for some very clear reasons. This is not due to a lack of trying by the moderators of that forum, IMO they just need help dealing with the amount of activity there and what is actually happening there.

That is my 2 cents.

[face_peace]

16. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I could see the MS adding another mod to SWC because after Quixotix-Sith left, there are only two mods covering it.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Have you ever PM'd any mod in EUC your concerns? Or clicked on the "Notify" link at the bottom of any post you found off-topic?

Because I haven't seen anything from the EUC moderators that would indicate they're overworked or overwhelmed by demand for their services.

18. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    dp4m posted on 9/19/05 6:30am
    Or clicked on the "Notify" link at the bottom of any post you found off-topic?
    [hr][/blockquote]

[i]"Notify"[/i] link? I don't see that at the bottom of every post. [face_confused]

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    um, dp, that link is for the active topic notifications :p

EDIT: Remember, they have "Post Reply | Quote Reply | Active Topic Notification | Private Message | Post History" while we have Reply | Quote | Notify | PM | History| Moderate: [Remove, Move, Edit, Ban, Notes, IPC, Lock]" ;)

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My bad! Didn't we have a "report" button at some point with the new features being rolled out? I could have sworn that's what the "Notify" button got turned into...

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    At one point, there was a "report" button of sorts in the vB version, but I seem to remember some issues with it.

22. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Let's not bait. Once you're a wit. Twice you're a half-wit. Three times is excessive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.