main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

YJCC policy question

Discussion in 'Communications' started by carmenite, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I understand that linking to a logoff link has become an editable offense. I asked Grant about it, and the fact that neither it, nor anything close to or hinting it was in the JCC rules post, and he went ahead and edited it in. When I asked what the reasoning was, I was told it was because it was annoying and unnecessary. Which, isn't that kind of the whole purpose of YJCC?

Also, telling people about Hyper-Jedi mode isn't editable, and that can be actually destructive, rather than just annoying, now that there are tabbed browsers.

So, I guess my questions are - when did this happen, and if the reasoning is because it's annoying and unnecessary, why isn't it consistent? And conversations having to do with that.

Edit: See my last post.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I remember it being edited a couple years ago, and at various points since then. I think I may have edited a logoff link or two myself.

3. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    See, I don't remember it when I was a mod, but maybe I was a bad mod.

At any rate, I think it's a silly rule, made even sillier if you can trick people into closing their browser window without being edited.

4. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I remember when I was a mod that that log-off link was editable, and I think it was mentioned in a MS Update once.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It was made policy in January of 2006 by the team of JCC moderators and MS at the time. Then, like now, you had to shut your browser down completely and reopen to log back in due to a IGN problem. Quite a hassle, so it was prohibited. It was put in the rules when it was pointed out it hadn't been put in this newest set (or maybe even the one before that).

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    That's not true. You just need to browse to a different part of the JC (such as the main forum listing) and then back to the login page. As soon as the "?action=logoff" part of the URL is gone, you will be able to login just fine. I just verified this in IE and Firefox.

7. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    That's true. I also thought this thread was going to be about The Game.

8. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    And Hyper Jedi Mode?

Also, what Jefff said is correct. If you take that part of the URL out, or if you click somewhere else, and then to the login page, you can log in just fine.

9. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    What is this "Hyer Jedi Mode" of which you speak?

10. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    alt + f4 will enter you into Hyper Jedi mode

Also an option - Ctrl + w

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This *has* always been inconsistent as when I asked about it prior to 2006 It got different answers each time. I think the gist pre-2006 was "overuse is grounds for a crackdown" but then the JCC Mods got together in 2006 (like roo said) and officially decided something but I don't think it's written down anywhere.

12. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    The logoff link has since been added to the JC rules thread.

13. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, something had to be written in some form so we can discourage from using this link. Half of every "youtube", "picture" and "news article" link would just be the logoff link. It was done in an effort to keep that from being overused in the JCC. Once or twice gets a, "Oh you crazy guys, you got me". Having it become a new fad in the JCC would be overdoing it. It had to be regulated with some type of wording in the rules.

14. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    That doesn't exactly thrust forward the progression of this discussion

15. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    "It's a gray area."

16. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I've actually never heard of hyper jedi mode. In most cases with the log off link, it's just edited. There was a while in JCC (around the time it was brought up in MS) that several users were abusing it and posting it incessantly and JCCers were getting ticked off and asked that we do something. At that time it was decided that it would just be an edit, and bannable if someone did it frequently.

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah, I've never had to quit out of IE to log back in. However even navigating to a different part of the JC and logging in is an unwelcome chore (makes logging in an out of socks a pain). It should be edited, and only incur the wrath of the mods in cases of abuse.

18. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Not to mention trying to sign back in when some of us have 20+ character alphanumeric passwords with symbols, including lower and upper case letters.

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    You should set your password to 'starwars'. Really easy to remember.

20. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    Why does YJCC have to be unnessecary and annoying?

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    You could say that about any forum on here if you were so inclined. It's all a matter of personal tastes and the atmosphere in which you like to post in. If it's not for you, I just wouldn't post there. Stick to the places that you enjoy.

22. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    That's got to hurt.

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999

Or 1,2,3,4,5 like I have.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    THAT'S AMAZING! That's the same combination I have on my luggage!

Of course, us Mods can have people enter Hyper Jedi Mode just by entering a thread, let alone clicking on anything (I think this was disabled for normal users but don't recall), so we use our powers only for good... not evil!

25. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    When I was a mod, I always saved my pw in a notepad file, and copy-pasted. That way I wouldn't have to remember two new random 20+ random passwords every month (which is how often it was suggested I change it.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.