main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC]Satirical Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Suzuki_Akira, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    The problem, Genghis, is not having that line-everyone does- it's that, obviously, some people put it in different places. If people didn't, this thread wouldn't exist.

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    But, Suzuki, the line is different for everyone and that's the inherent problem. What I might see as hilarious and cleverly sarcastic, others might see as offensive. As mods, we use common sense to try and establish which threads might be over the line and which might be alright with some monitoring. Just because we try to maintain a family friendly board doesn't mean that everything is going to be ready for a Disney film.

3. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    Its very simple, that thread should be locked and deleted. Its has nothing to do with any race of any kind, the point is that discussion of having a human slave is not appropiate for a FAMILY FRIENDLY BOARD. What family has a nice discussion about having a human as a slave?. If we can talk about having a slave hypothetically, then why cant I start a thread "if crack were legal, would you smoke it?". Is making another human your slave legal now?, last time I checked talking about breaking the law, hypothetical or not was against the TOS. I know I would be permabanned if I started a thread about doing drugs hypothetically. There is no difference, smoking crack is illegal, making another human your slave is illegal. But let me dare make the thread, everyone would cry and call for a lock when IMHO doing drugs which is just self destructive is not as bad as enslaving another human for the sole purpose of following your every command.

so, powerfull mods/admins, can I make the thread "if crack were legal would you smoke it?"

If not, could you provide me with a breakdown as to why it is not allowable and the thread in question is?

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    so, powerfull mods/admins, can I make the thread "if crack were legal would you smoke it?"

That thread already exists in the Senate - it's probably best discussed there.

5. Darth_Messy

Darth_Messy Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2004
    So by virtue of what you are saying that if you make the thread "hilarious and cleverly sarcastic" then it is ok?

So if someone makes a thread about any of the following:
    The Holocaust
    Pearl Harbor
    9/11
    Racism
    Terrorist acts
    or any touchy subject, but makes it funny and cleverly sarcastic it is ok? Explain to me how any of those are different than the subject of slavery.

6. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I have to agree w/ Comet on this one. Owning another person is morally wrong and defunct. That topic is completely inappropriate.

7. carrie

carrie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2004
    Explain to me how any of those are different than the subject of slavery.

Because each one of your examples is about a specific group, or event.

It's very simple.

edit perhaps we should lock the special effects threads in the CT because dramatic space explosions might offend the families of those who died in the Columbia and Challenger disasters.

8. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Its very simple, that thread should be locked and deleted. Its has nothing to do with any race of any kind, the point is that discussion of having a human slave is not appropiate for a FAMILY FRIENDLY BOARD.

comet - If we allow you to post rap lyrics about gunning people down, then I don't see any problem discussing slavery in a light-hearted manner.

Owning another person is morally wrong and defunct.

I don't think being immoral is against the TOS. If it was we'd be pretty busy banning people.

9. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    comet - If we allow you to post rap lyrics about gunning people down, then I don't see any problem discussing slavery in a light-hearted manner.

Is rap illegal?

No.

Is owning a slave illegal?

Yes.

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Is talking about slavery legal?

Yes.

Is it against the TOS?

No.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Bascially it comes down to what you find appropriate. You didn't, fair enough. But we discussed it in the MS and decided it was intentionally light-hearted enough to remain open.

If the thread were still active, and was leading to heated debates about the appropriateness of slavery, then we'd revise the situation. However, since it's now on page three, it's hardly a pressing issue.

12. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Is it against the TOS?

No.

As a moderator, I expect you to know the rules better then me.

User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense

Is slavery illegal?

Yes.

Is talking about doing illegal things against the TOS?

Yes.

And they made you a moderator???

*sigh*

13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003

Yes.

Talking about slavery isn't illegal, nor is it against the TOS. I'm sure you'll find the senate is full of discussions regarding slavery and drug use.

14. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Talking about slavery isn't illegal, nor is it against the TOS

... are you serious? TALKING about slavery is not illegal, BUT SLAVERY IS. And talking about things that are illegal IS AGAINST THE TOS.

15. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    But you've neglected to respond to zac's point that you talk about shooting people all the time. What's the difference? It's OK just because they're "song" lyrics?

16. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    ... are you serious? TALKING about slavery is not illegal, BUT SLAVERY IS. And talking about things that are illegal IS AGAINST THE TOS.

Talking about things that are illegal isn't against the TOS. See the Senate, they have many discussions regarding slavery and drugs.

Promoting or advocating illegal activities is against the TOS, and the thread in question did neither of those.

The fact that the thread remained open after Kayta, malkie, Tracy and myself looked at it, should be proof enough that it didn't break any rules.

17. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Talking about things that are illegal isn't against the TOS

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Sudden change of rules im not aware of?

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Sudden change of rules im not aware of?

Well looking at the content of your rap lyrics, you seem well versed in the rules.

19. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Well looking at the content of your rap lyrics, you seem well versed in the rules.

Obviously im not, ever since I registered I thought that talking about illegal activitys was against the rules.

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Obviously im not, ever since I registered I thought that talking about illegal activitys was against the rules.

Not entirely. I can talk about terrorists, I can talk about slavery in some countries, I can talk about the problems of drug smuggling. They're all illegal activities, the difference is that I'm not promoting or glorifying those activies.

If Ignant's thread had been "Slavery is cool!" Or "I want a slave." then we probably would have locked it. But it wasn't and we decided to leave it open.

21. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Is slavery illegal?

Yes.

Yes.

And they made you a moderator???

*sigh*

Jeez, dude, i took you to have more brains than that. Slavery is illegal, but it's not illegal to talk about it. As RMC has once said, think before you post.

Not entirely. I can talk about terrorists, I can talk about slavery in some countries, I can talk about the problems of drug smuggling. They're all illegal activities, the difference is that I'm not promoting or glorifying those activies.

If Ignant's thread had been "Slavery is cool!" Or "I want a slave." then we probably would have locked it. But it wasn't and we decided to leave it open.

And i repeat myself yet again with you, those remarks are strictly sarcasm. No one except you takes them seriously. Yes, comet, you're all alone. Completely alone.

22. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Slavery is illegal, but it's not illegal to talk about it.

[face_plain]

Its not ILLEGAL to talk about it, ITS AGAINST THE TOS TO TALK ABOUT IT.

What is so hard to understand about that?

I will just have to go into detail.

[images removed]

Need I say more as to why it should be locked and deleted?

23. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yes, those comments are a bit much, I'll edit them now. I'll have to edit your pictures too, can't have them here and not there.

A few ill comments doesn't justify a thread lock, we prefer to work on the post level.

I noticed you posted "Lock this". That's usually frowned upon, if you have problems with a thread then you contact the forum mods.

24. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Its not ILLEGAL to talk about it, ITS AGAINST THE TOS TO TALK ABOUT IT.

You have to be the most ignorant person i've ever met. If a mod says it's not against the TOS, it makes you sound pretty stupid saying it is against the TOS.

Dude, just give it up.

25. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Okay, how about we compare two existing threads, one that got locked, and the slavery thread?

Terpmaniac's Thread: This thread asked for serious advice on whether or not he should have sex with a girl who offered it to him. Some people said no, some people told him to go for it, and so it was locked. It was locked because, as a minor, sex is illegal and thus supporting and praising this even though the creator of the thread didn't do so himself called for lockage.

Darth_Ignant's thread This thread asked whether or not the readers would own a slave of their own. Some said no, some agreed, and because of the lack of intent of the author for slavery it was not locked, even though some in the thread praised this illegal act.

Comparison:
    Both discussed illegal acts
    Both had the author not necessarily leaning towards the illegal or 'immoral' choice
    Both had posters on both sides of the issue
    Both had a central issue that people may agree or disagree with based on morals above the legality of the issue

Contrast:
    While Terpmaniac09's thread was more of an actual question in nature, Darth_Ignant's was in jest.

While Terpmaniac09 was undecided, Darth_Ignant was against the 'immoral' choice.

The praise for the illegal choice in Darth_Ignant's thread was less pronounced than in Terpmaniac09's thread.

The major difference between the two is that one was a serious question while the other was a joke. But this too could be divided: One side could say that the Slavery thread was just a harmless joke and thus doesn't mean anything - the other could say that making fun of it is even more insulting, whether the insult is intentional or not. Just a comparable pair of threads I found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.