[YJCC] Senate-type threads that aren't...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ShrunkenJedi, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, there seems to have been a rash of politically-charged threads in the JCC, with quite a lot of (at the very least) near-flaming, near-baiting, etc. I fully admit to participating in them. However, they also concern me, as well as being concerned for the atmosphere of the JCC.

Have the mods been concerned about this as well, and what is the policy on these kinds of threads? What, if anything, should be done about it?

2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I think that certain discussion and debate threads are fine in JCC. What we try to do is monitor each one as they're created to see whether they suit the JCC or the Senate. One or two of these threads really doesn't hurt the forum and allows forum regulars to participate in discussions. Just like we have some similar threads in both Amph and JCC, we can handle some debate threads without the forum imploding.
  3. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    There is always going to be areas where Senate, YJCC, and Amp overlap, in some regards. I don't really frequent the Senate too often, I noticed some activity over the new banner but it seems as if things are normal in there. I guess if there is flaming or baiting to contact one of the moderators in there. I would suppose the best thing to do is to lead the forum be example. To create good threads which should encourage a good discussion of issues.

-Seldon
  4. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've noticed that as well. Problem is people have different opinions on what specifically should be in each forum, especially on topic right on the borderline. Whether a film discussion goes into YJCC or Amphitheater. Whether a semi-politcal discussion goes into YJCC or Senate. Rarely are there any borderline Amphitheater/Senate threads.

I think the problem is that YJCC is very broad. You have any topic on the face of the earth practically to discuss about and most of the time, it seems social more than anything, which is the purpose to some extent.

If we can limit YJCC to everday problems or ideas, then the amphitheater, also currently on the artsy side of the media, could be exclusive to entertainment.

Just a suggestion to do with these three social threads.
  5. -Lord-Vader- Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ive noticed that too, Albert Normandy's thread and coruscant's thread seem as though they should be in the senate.
  6. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Coruscant's started out a little bit silly, so it was appropriate for JCC. It IS getting a big more serious than I personally like, but if it gets too bad, it'll get locked.

ALbert Normandy's thread, whether that is his opinion or not, is being treated as a gigantic joke, and therefore should stay in jcc, unless the posters start to act inappropriately.
  7. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The JCC allows for light-hearted discussion of serious topics. It's true that serious "Senate-level" conversation does happen, but it's often a nice change of pace from much of the rest of the JCC. No sense in taking even more out of the JCC.

Amazing.
  8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    ALbert Normandy's thread, whether that is his opinion or not, is being treated as a gigantic joke, and therefore should stay in jcc, unless the posters start to act inappropriately.

Normandy's case is actually kind of funny in my opinion. It's quite obvious that sock is just one big joke, yet the mod's can't prove it, so it "has" to be treated as an equal opinion.
  9. MasterKay Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, it seems to me that the Normandy thread crossed the inappropriate boundary a loooong time ago. When I first looked at the thread I was appalled, then realized it was kind of funny. However, when I checked the thread a few days later, it was back to being appalling. Whatever humor that may have been there in the beginning has long since disappeared. It has become a very offensive thread and should be locked. This is a joke gone very bad.
  10. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I don't really frequent the Senate too often, I noticed some activity over the new banner but it seems as if things are normal in there.
    I tried to warn ya'll that was going to happen, but was shouted down. In fact, that sense of "normal" is why I (and many) don't bother with the Senate anymore.

Discussion and debate of real-life topics is a good thing, when everyone can keep the discussion open to ALL "certain points of view". Unfortunatly what happens is that many people develop a bit of internet arrogance, only wanting to hear post in agreement with THEIR beliefs...and posting/ganging up on anyone who "DARES" disagree with them.

Now we can give terms to all kinds of acts: flaming, baiting, trolling, are just jargon for people and discussions that take more away for the overall purpose of this board then they contribute.

Just 2 credits from one of the many people on this board. You are free to agree or disagree, but if you make the effort to tell me why I'm wrong...you just proved my point.
  11. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    You are free to agree or disagree, but if you make the effort to tell me why I'm wrong...you just proved my point.

Simply disagreeing and stating why is tantamount to proving your point?
  12. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Normally, I'd agree with you KnightWriter...but that's not what happens more and more often. Topics are broken up into nothing more then political/issue fan clubs, where only those with similar views are heard (or even treated with respect) by the "regular" users.

Now...I tend to like hearing the opposition POV, but not by those who treat their views as beyond question, or the possibility of error. Same thing can be said for my own views, in fact I've learned/changed my perspective on subjects from the occasional post.

Again, I think the problem lies more in that TOO MANY people here (and elsewhere) consider the internet their exclusive soapbox, and don't like sharing.
  13. CitizenKane Jedi Knight

star 3
    Topics are broken up into nothing more then political/issue fan clubs, where only those with similar views are heard (or even treated with respect) by the "regular" users.

As a Senate regular, I must dissent. I don't see that happening like you describe at all.
  14. MILK-HANDS Jedi Master

star 4
    As a Senate regular, I must dissent. I don't see that happening like you describe at all.

I certainly don't see it happening to the extent that some people have characterized it, but it is true to a degree, nonetheless. The Senate has certain aspects to it that discourages more users from participating. I'm not entirely convinced that this is a bad thing, since it is in fact for serious discussion, and should be a place for in-depth discussion.

The issue with the Normandy thread seemed to be more of the issue of where controversial humour and parody becomes unacceptable - people were spouting ideology at times that is highly controversial, and other users were disturbed by this, because they cannot be sure how serious the other person was. Because no one is entirely sure, the potential will always exist for it to slip out of control, if enough people are offended.

Now...I tend to like hearing the opposition POV, but not by those who treat their views as beyond question, or the possibility of error. Same thing can be said for my own views, in fact I've learned/changed my perspective on subjects from the occasional post.

While the nature of the Senate tends to create an elitist feel to the forum, I think the arrogance is more characteristic on the YJCC, where there are younger users with unfounded and unsubstantiated ideology, where quick quips are more the norm. There are users in the Senate that I feel are a detriment to it by their sheer arrogance, but there is also a core group of very smart people across the ideological spectrum.

Exclusive? Yes. Arrogant and dogmatic? Largely no. Unless there is a Presidential election around the corner. :p

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.