main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC] Star Wars in YJCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by carmenite, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, speaking as a SSSW mod, I want people to come to SSSW to talk about the Robot Chicken Star Wars Episode

SSSW may not be YJCC, but its a neat forum and I'm proud of it.O:)

On the bigger point, I think its generally better if YJCC is left for non Star Wars discussion, and we keep SW related stuff to the appropriate forums - If only to make sure the SW related forums keep going. As always, there will be exceptions, like I'm sure when the Live Action Series air's, there will be a thread allowed in YJCC for reactions and such, just as with the Prequel movies, but overall, keep SW to SW related forums, IMO. And don't confine youself to one forum. Don't be afraid to explore the whole of the JC. We have a lot of really good forums to offer you.[:D]

2. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    My point, though, is that it's not YJCC, so discussing it in SSSW would be a different experience from discussing it in YJCC. In YJCC, if a thread starts out as a Robot Chicken Star Wars Episode thread, and ends up degenerating into Yo Momma Star Wars jokes, that's okay, but my feeling is that that's not the case in SSSW, unless I'm mistaken. The atmosphere in different forums is different, so the way discussions go will be different as well.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well we have a fairly relaxed atmosphere in SSSW right now. We certainly don't have a strictly on topic policy in operation at this point, although clearly we can't offer you the same things that YJCC offers you with regards to general chat. :)

4. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    So, you're saying if a minor discussion about a particular episode of Robot Chicken, that just happens to be spoofing Star Wars, in the JCC, would offer people more of a lighthearted spoof on a spoof, that it should probably be allowed there? I agree :)

5. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    SW Community sounds like a place you guys should visit sometime. :)

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    So do I. If it's in the JCC SW thread or a Robot Chicken thread, but not a thread on its own.

7. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    Ok, can I make a Robot Chicken thread, that starts out discussing the most recent episode, then?

~Edit~ As long as it's not in the title?

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Absolutely. If there's not one already. I should have changed the title of the one I locked (and still can, I guess) but this way works, too.

9. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    No, no, if someone already made a thread about Robot Chicken, than just unlock it and rename it. I don't want to cause any drama over why one thread was allowed, and the older one wasn't. I hadn't even seen that there was one that had been locked.

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Can I say that I fully support the idea of bringing back the traveling social thread? It was hard to keep track of but it was an awesome way to get to meet new people :)

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I feel that having a dedicated thread or a few in the JCC for Star Wars discussion as Rhonda's been explaining is a great idea, a compromise to result from this Comms discussion. The posts in a Star Wars thread in the JCC will tend to maintain that JCC feel and environment. The community will only go in depth as little or as far as it wishes to. If anyone in the community wants to analyze something Star Wars related frame-by-frame, for instance the recent Robot Chicken episode, and the JCC isn?t quite cutting it for them, they know what other options are available to them.

The other forum?s are there and it?s up to users to branch out of their day-to-day forums. We can expand what?s in each forum but not to the point of the detriment of the more appropriate forum. If a user is just so comfortable in their own forum and they don?t want to post elsewhere, we can?t really take them by the hand and have them put their toe in the water. Either you post in the dedicated Star Wars threads in the non-Star Wars JCC Forum or make a few clicks and post in the SSSW Forum. No one?s going to shoo you away because you?re a JCCer. And if a SSSW Forum regular likes to lighten it up a bit and a social thread in the SSSW Forum isn?t cutting it for them, then they need to get off their virtual behinds and go to the JCC. Each forum can?t have everything but we can and have allowed atypical threads to carry on for those who cannot, choose not, or will not leave their forum of comfort. The JCC can?t be everything for everyone, nor can we turn the JCC into everything for anyone.

12. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    I do agree that an official Star Wars thread is a great step, and while it's not exactly what I was going for, it definitely works. I also like the idea of the traveling social thread, as I seem to have missed it when it happened in the past.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think that's very true, Carmen. It's probably part of the reason it was a lot easier for there to be a Games invasion of JCC than it would be for JCC to invade any other forum, because certain rules are so much laxer in JCC. I'm pretty sure a thread full of YSLCATGOTs in Lit or something would get locked as spam. :p Games, on the other hand... hell, that place is like the Wild West anyway. Maybe that should be the first forum for JCC to invade. It's probably the second most anarchical board we've got, special rules and all.

Though David is also right about it being a two-way street. A lot of people are scared of JCC because it's so... well... some of the thread titles are so far out they're vaguely intimidating if you've just come out of posting on a serious board. :p But this is why I think I'm starting to like the idea of JCC invasions of other forums and the traveling social thread better and better, because it might break down some of those barriers between JCCers and non-JCCers and enable people to make better connections with others outside their home fora.

Rhonda, start the traveling social thread in Lit or something and actively promote JCCers to post in it. Or maybe put it in the Senate. It should be an awesome social experiment either way. :D

But I thought SSSW was the next 3SA... :p

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I think that the EUC would be a great place for the Traveling Social thread to visit.

I've been reading this thread, and really, I'm not aware of these "serious forums" that you guys are talking about. I mean, yeah, there will be different types of discussions in Lit (concerning more "serious" topics), but there's still fun to be had. I've visited the EUC, the SWC, and the JCC, and I like them all. I tend to post in the EUC most of all, because frankly the JCC is a bit too ridiculous for me at times, and I'm not a part of the 'in' crowd over there, and I'm not as familiar with those in the SWC...but those don't seem like serious forums at all. The EUC has like 4 social threads or somesuch, and all of those have just as much fun and silly discussion as the JCC. It seems to me that this all a problem of cliques and whatnot. Obviously, those in the JCC clique will not feel as comfortable visiting the EUC clique, and vise versa. I'm a prime example of this. And there is something to be said for sticking in your cliques, because they're obviously fun and such, but also, it's important for all people to be inviting and welcoming to others who wish to come in and discuss the subject matter of that particular forum.

Really, I think that this problem can be resolved with (along with the previous suggestions) open mindedness on the part of all of us. If the JCCer's had open minds and came over to the SWC and EUC to discuss their SW things, and those in the SWC and EUC were welcoming, fun, and understanding towards their "visitors", this problem would be resolved for the better of the entire boards.

15. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Its a good thought, but a lot of people have moved to the JCC because the EU has disappointed them greatly. I know thats part of the reason I shifted over to the JCC for the bulk of my time. Still I'd be willing to give it a chance if 'JCC Embassy' were put in place in EUC.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think that makes it an ever better idea to having the thread visit EUC, actually, because it's a fun, laid-back forum and might encourage some expats to try posting on the EU boards again.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
  18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The first page of the travelling social thread is like a passport getting stamped.

19. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    How about having a special Star Wars thread where people could post in it like the movie threads get?

20. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    Debo's Star Wars Spectacular thread has more or less turned into that.

21. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I still think that you JCCers should just go to the other forums.

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Debo's thread is hilarious. I urge everyone to read it from start to finish.

23. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Yes but many people fear JCCers because of our posting style and general insanity.

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    oh you sure could use learning some e-manners
    it's a pity I have to follow my colleagues' modding style

25. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    We're corrupting you... [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.