main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC] YJCC HTR policy - review time

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wes_Janson, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    When the origonal HTR policy was started, I remmember they mentioned that they would allow a review of it after a few months.

Lets get that review started, is there anyone that even wants that rule other than the JCC mods ?

malkie edit removed inflammatory term

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I bet more people would know what you were talking about if you made a point to explain that HTR = Highlight To Read, the current policy for posting spoilers in the JCC.

3. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Meh, enough will remember this Im sure.

Basicly, there was no trouble with spoiler/no spoiler discussion threads for TV shows.

Suddenly, the JCC mods decided that threads MUST allow HTR (hilite to read) spoilers.

Essently, they say you must put up with spoilers in your thread if you want to discuss a TV show on the JC

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    A review at this time is fine by me :) The HTR policy has worked extremely well in the JCC (and the Games forum too I believe).

It allows centralised discussion without worry of reading something you don't want to. We'll welcome the views of everyone :)

edit

To be fair Wes_Janson, the policy was decided based on the opinions of everyone who contributed at the time. Yes, not everyone was happy, but the majority were.

I'm sorry that you don't like the policy, but I don't see any reason to change what works well.

5. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I think highlight to read spoilers for TV/Movies in the JCC is fine. People who want spoilers can get them, people who don't don't have to, and people can know the difference because the spoilers are highlighted. I think they're more effective that just giving a spoiler space like they do in Lit., personally :).

6. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "Essently, they say you must put up with spoilers in your thread if you want to discuss a TV show on the JC"

As long as the spoilers are hidden, how is it hurting discussion?

7. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Because, when spoilers come out, there will be a segment of people that discuss them.

And I really dont want to be spoiled.

And Malkie, it hasnt worked well. You forced it onto all threads, and lock those that DONT want HTR allowed.

8. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    But if the discussion is all highlight-to-read, how is it hurting you?

9. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Because, people can easily slip up and froget, have a markup typo, stuff like that.

Its why E3 spoilers are 3SA only, and I think its just spitting in the face of JC users to have such a policy.

oh, wait, this is the JCC mods. Never mind, that the norm for them IMO.

10. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I like to see spoilers masked, so it's not just the mods, in fact, the only person who seems to be complaining about the current policy is you.

11. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    You seem to have a short memory.... there are 2 threads prior to this one aginst this topic. I created neither.

12. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    People tend to take arguments more seriously if you don't include petty remarks and swipes against the people you disagree with. :)

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    oh, wait, this is the JCC mods. Never mind, that the norm for them IMO.

Making comments like this only makes your task more difficult. I'd suggest being as respectful as possible :).

14. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    this thread and this thread both contain good info on the policy.

malkie edit I have already edited that inflammatory word out. Don't use it again.

15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Imo, if 90 ppl want spoilers in the open, and that discludes 10 ppl who don't, then they should still be covered up out of common courtesy.

But wait, you're a n00b, and discourtesy is the norm.

See? I can make unfounded generalisations too.

16. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    And how is it inflamatory Malkie ? (Re: his edit of my post)

There was no trouble regarding spoiler free threads before the JCC mods decided to require that threads be HTR. Look at wild_karde's old Survivor threads for such an example, as they were no spoiler before this rule was forced onto us. Suddenly the mods of the JCC decide to implement a policy, and force it upon everyone, CREATING the drama where there was none before. It seems that des***** is the propper word to use to me.

EDIT-markup typo. See, they occur easy.

EDIT2-sith magician, before this rule was implemented there were MULTIPLE longrunning no spoiler threads. There were no longrunning spoiler allowed threads outside of 3SA that I can think of.

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The only drama I'm seeing is from you. Ppl don't want spoilers in the open in threads, what's so hard about that to get?

I say keep it the way it is now.

18. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I am against the HTR policy. I think that threads should be allowed to be HTR, spoilers, or spoiler-free. I also think that if there is enough demand, it's perfectly okay to have a spoiler thread and a spoiler-free thread on the same subject. If they are both doing well, then there's no need to combine them.

With HTR, there are often problems with markups where spoilers are accidentally let out. There are also cases where the discussion splits into basically two discussions - one with HTR, and one with no spoilers. In this case, I think it would be better to just be two threads, rather than two discussions in the same thread.

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    sith magician, before this rule was implemented there were MULTIPLE longrunning no spoiler threads.

Just because the rule never existed before, is no argument against it being implemented now.

I see your point Carmen, I'm just against the idea of there being a single thread, say about a TV series that runs half a season behind in other countries, and someone comes in posting all about the season end.

All I'm saying that covering spoilers in the instances of there being one thread is simple common courtesy.

20. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Sith Magician, I never said spoilers had to be allowed. It should be up to the person starting the thread.

I actualy started a spoiler free thread recently, but Malkie locked it due to the HTR policy.

21. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    The whole "markup typo" argument should be defeated by the "Preview" button.

22. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    should be defeated by the preview button, but that doesn't mean that everyone does it.

and besides that, there are other arguments for having separate threads.

23. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    That argument is defeated by the fact that not everyone uses the preview button.

24. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I agree with YodaJeff, it's there for a reason, afraid your markup code typos will spoil ppl? Check it first.

That argument is defeated by the fact that not everyone uses the preview button.

Then use it, don't be so unnecesarily stubborn.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Just seems to me that individual thread communities should decide for themselves if they want HTR or no spoilers.

I agree with YodaJeff, it's there for a reason, afraid your markup code typos will spoil ppl? Check it first.

Except that that requires effort, and a lot of people aren't willing to go to the trouble for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.