main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC] YJCC HTR policy - review time

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wes_Janson, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm not afraid my markup codes will spoil people - I'm afraid other people's markup codes will spoil me.

My suggestion is to not have a blanket rule - let the people who create the threads decide whether its HTR, spoilers or spoilerfree.

2. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Um, and what if someone doesnt and you get spoiled ?

By the same argument 3SA 3NSA should be merged as a HTR spoiler fourm.

Oh, wait, the JCC mods dontcare about you when it comes to something other than SW (unless your a dark lord/lady of the JC.....)

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I actualy started a spoiler free thread recently, but Malkie locked it due to the HTR policy.

No I didn't. I edited it to bring it in line with the existing policy (ie I made it an HTR thread), but you replied with "Please ignore malkie people. Afterall, only the JCC mods like this rule, since they made it up for no reason."

Leaving me no choice but to lock it.

4. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    y'know wes, no offense, but if you weren't so defensive and worked on arguments without throwing a hissy fit we might actually get somewhere.

5. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Afraid noone would pay attention to the forced HTR policy Malkie ?

6. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Oh, wait, the JCC mods dontcare...

Ok, obviously you're just out for drama and not to listen to reason.

Afraid noone would pay attention to the forced HTR policy Malkie ?

Actually, just as I saw it, you derailed your own thread right at the start with an attack on Malkie, I'd have locked it to.

I also would have given you 24 hours to have a think about your attitude.

7. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Oh, wait, the JCC mods dontcare about you when it comes to something other than SW (unless your a dark lord/lady of the JC.....)

Wes - your tone is seriously inflammatory, and really isn't helping your case. We are happy to discuss the policy and possibly change it, but your attitude is only going to get you into trouble.

8. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Wes, the "Dark Lord/Lady" complaint for JCC mods is so 6 months ago.

"Except that that requires effort, and a lot of people aren't willing to go to the trouble for it."

Then they should accept whatever punishment results from their mistakes. Also, if someone messes up a markup code, it's not like you'd stumble upon the spoiler without any notice. You'd have to read "[colro=black]" (or whatever) before where the spoilers are supposed to go.

9. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    No, Im not the one here for the drama.

Thyere the ones who created this monocratic rule when noone had any problem with no spoiler threads but them it seems.

EDIT
    YJ, people use markup for far more than spoilers, especily in a TC show thread..

10. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Dude, your attitude isn't going to get you anywhere, you obviously have it in for someone, just drop it and stick to the facts and maybe you'll get listened to, M'kay?

11. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I see your point, Carmen, but I think Jeff is right. You'd have to read through the start of the markups if they didn't work right, and if someone just didn't even try to highlight the spoilers, well, you'd notice that it was a spoiler within a few words most likely, and could stop reading before you spoiled yourself, I think. Seems reasonable, anyways *shrug*

12. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    If people in this thread don't start showing a little more respect on both sides, there will be bans passed out. As a reminder, from the Comms rules:
    Users in Comms are expected to be on their best behavior. Flaming of other users, even in jest, is prohibited. We're here to discuss policy, not other users. (Emphasis added.)
    Either treat other users (including moderators) with respect, or don't post.

Kimball Kinnison

13. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Wes - simple warning for you. Clearly state your opinion and reasoning, then let the discussion flourish. If you continue to troll your own thread you will be banned.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Amos, why not let individual communities decide for themselves?

15. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    My problems with an HTR blanket rule
    - some people are not careful with markup codes and may accidentally spoil other people
    - it divides the conversation oftentimes into spoiler discussion/nonspoiler discussion
    - there is occasionally a greater demand for non-spoiler threads than HTR or spoiler threads, but the HTR threads are forced instead

My suggestion
    - allow the people who create the threads to decide whether they are HTR, spoilers, or spoiler free. this MAY mean that there are two threads on the same subject - one spoilers and one spoiler free. however, if both threads are actively used, then I don't see them as redundant. there are times, when the demand is great enough, that there is more than one thread on a particular subject. two examples are Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    If you re-read the posted threads I was of the opinion that each thread creator should be allowed to control if the thread was HTR or spoiler free. However, that was met with strong critism, and we opt'd to go for the standard policy that we have.

17. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Fact: Before this authoritarian policy was forced upon all threads, there were multiple no spoiler allowed thredas.

Fact: Spoiler threads were allowed too, but in most cases where there were 2 threads for a show, one was active, and one was dead.

Fact: out of the blue, some of the JCC mods (not all voted for this, afterall) decided that ALL threads would be HTR threads regarding spoiler content. The old policy of grandfathering in old threads was ignored as well.

Fact: There have allready been 2 long threads on this topic. The end result seems to be "Im a mod and yorue not. Now be quiet."

18. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    KW: I suppose that wouldn't be a big deal, I just think that the HTR policy works well enough, I guess. Don't fix what isn't broken, you know? But if there's enough of a push for it being up to the individual communities, I suppose that would be fine by me, too. :)

19. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    "Don't fix what isn't broken, you know?"

Amos, by that logic the HTR rule should have never occured, as there was no need of it execpt in the minds of those that forced it upon the community.

EDIT- and to those I was rude to, I appolgise. I possess neither eloquoence nor subtilty in expressing myself

20. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    To actually explain what Wes means rather than aimlessly whinging, what happened the first time was that a Survivor thread was made and, like all the previous Survivor threads, was "no spoilers." Someone posted HTR spoilers in there, and the creator of the thread PMed a mod to remove it. The mod instead changed the title of the thread to "Survivor: HTR Spoilers" or something like that, and drama was born.

That thread died because the majority of the Survivor fans in YJCC are non-spoilers. So rather than having one thread that had the majority happy, or two threads that made everyone happy, they had one (dead) thread that made the majority unhappy.

21. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Just to provide an alternate view:

My problems with an HTR blanket rule
    - some people are not careful with markup codes and may accidentally spoil other people

How is this any different from someone accidentally posting in the wrong thread? People have been known to accidentally post spoilers outside of 3SA, for example (even when not trolling).

- it divides the conversation oftentimes into spoiler discussion/nonspoiler discussion

Many threads have multiple discussions going on at once. Again, how is this any different than that?

- there is occasionally a greater demand for non-spoiler threads than HTR or spoiler threads, but the HTR threads are forced instead

If there is greater demand for no spoilers, then there won't be many people reading any spoilers posted, nor will there be many people responding to those spoilers, so again the effect should be minimal.

Here's a question for the people in favor of repealing the policy: can you cite any specific examples of where the policy has created problems? Can you point out specific cases where the policy was not enforced? Where people accidentally posted spoilers and it was not dealt with promptly by the mods?

In the case of Survivor, it should be noted that a specific compromise was reached, where non-spoiler threads are allowed in Amphitheatre.

Kimball Kinnison

22. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Since I was one of the mods of the JCC at the time the policy was created and enforced, I'll throw my two cents in.

The policy has worked extremely well to this point and everyone seems to have taken to it very well. There were a few users who were strongly against it at first because they feared they would accidentally be spoiled, but such an incident has yet to happen. Of course, you won't be able to please everyone but I think this policy is best for the JCC for a number of reasons. The first being that it cuts down on an unnecessary numbers of threads, theoretically two for each show/movie/etc. The second reason would be that it centralizes discussion which can be beneficial to all users discussing the topic.

During my tenure, the only thread that posed threats or incidents of possibly spoiling other users was the Spider-Man 2 thread. I browsed over the thread several times a day and had to black out a detail every now and then. However, for the most part it flowed rather smoothly for movie that had so much hype. This is something that would be easier to do now with the large number of mods the JCC currently has and the large coverage times those numbers provide.

23. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    This is where the real discussion (IMO) is - the nature of certain TV shows.

For example Survivor is taped well in advance, and the result is known before the show goes to air. It could spoil the entire series if you know in advance the results.

Other TV shows are also taped in advance, but knowing certain spoilers will not detract from the overall enjoyment (say Buffy or 24).

Some things go out live on EST, but are repeated a few hours later on PST. Obviously the EST viewers can spoil it online for the PST viewers.

This is why (IMO) certain types of threads need different rules, and perhaps the people most interested in the shows need to decide which type of thread is required. (which was my opinion all the way).

What we currently have, is a standard policy which tries to keep as many people possible happy, while making it clear what is required from any TV thread.

edit

But to agree with KK and Dash - we haven't had any problem with people being spoiled, or generally unhappy since starting this policy.

Basically what we're saying is that if the policy flawed it would have failed already.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    This is why (IMO) certain types of threads need different rules, and perhaps the people most interested in the shows need to decide which type of thread is required. (which was my opinion all the way).

I agree. Hence my view that individual communities should decide amongst themselves. That allows each community to have what they want. If it means there's a spoiler and non-spoiler thread, that's okay. If there's demand, great. If not, the thread(s) will die off.

The current policy may be working okay, relatively speaking, but I think individual community choice is the best path of all.

25. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    What about, for example, Stargate ?

The season is cut into 2 sections.

The first half of the season is aired in the US first, then is aired in the UK (europe too, I belive) followed by the second half of the season.
    At the begining of the year, the end of the season is aired in the US.

This means that for several months the episode would have been aired before the majority of the TF.N userbase (americans) have had a chance to view it.

EDIT

And malkie, the policy has allready failed. As carmen stated, the survivor thread has died.

All this policy has managed is to kill off a longrunning series of threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.