[YJCC] YJCC HTR policy - review time

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wes_Janson, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Something else I forgot to mention, if this policy is as flawed as some users like to portray, then why have there been no major failures/incidents to this point? It has been in effect since May (7 months) and no meltdowns? That is a testament to it's success and effectiveness to a degree.
  2. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    A counter question to that, Dashy: Is a lack of overt problems a testimony to success?

People may just have chosen not to complain or otherwise make their feelings known (partly because there wasn't a place to do so, since I believe the original thread(s) were locked).
  3. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Dashy, you froget the threads that this policy has killed.

All its truley done is drive the survivor community from JCC.
  4. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    In fairness, you also have to ask yourself. If something like this 'killed' the community, was there really one there to begin with?
  5. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Yes, there was. But they were rabidly antispoiler.

Look at it like this.

before forced policy: a series of long survivor threads
    after forced policy: no survivor threads
  6. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    In fairness, you also have to ask yourself. If something like this 'killed' the community, was there really one there to begin with?

Well, alienation can be a powerful thing, though it can fade with time. Of course, it can also sink in with time.
  7. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The users who followed the Survivor threads in the JCC never legitimately gave the HTR policy a chance to work. After the policy was decided upon and adopted in the JCC, those users took their threads to the Amphitheatre without giving the HTR a chance or to see if it would.
  8. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just my two cents, but does it really hurt if threads are not HTR? Why not just allow one spoiler thread and one spoiler-free thread? I mean the JCC is a fast forum, so one will fall fairly fast, no?
  9. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    The users who followed the Survivor threads in the JCC never legitimately gave the HTR policy a chance to work.

But they felt they weren't listened to, and beyond that, they wanted things a certain way as a community. They didn't feel HTR as a policy would work for them, and so they went elsewhere.

Such is the power of choice mixed with supply and demand.
  10. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Dashy, this thread suggests that despite best efforts the TF.N survivor fans still post on these boards.
  11. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But they felt they weren't listened to, and beyond that, they wanted things a certain way as a community.

There is a difference between not being listened to and attempting to go over the head of those who made the decision and the decision itself by taking the threads to another forum because you could not accept that a ruling was not made in your favor.
  12. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Ummmm Dashy, are you saying its wrong to complain in comms about a rule you dont like ?

EDIT- misred comment.

Dashy, you forced a unneeded rule upon a community. The community simple left rather than obey it. Hows that hard to understand ?
  13. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Heres an idea.

Why not, for a 2 month perion, allow spoiler free threads to see if they cause any trouble ?

Admitidly, they had been allowed for years before the rule (without trouble) but we could always use more evidence to show the usefullnes of such a draconian measure such as forcing spoilers to exist in a thread that non spoilor patrons might wish to use.
  14. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    Since the whole thing was started because of my Survivor threads, I guess I should chime in. Honestly, I don't care anymore. They let us have non-spoiler threads in Amphitheatre for Survivor, and that's all that matters to me. Aside from my Wrestling thread, I've pretty much abandoned the JCC as a lost cause due to poor modding over the last 3 years or so. The mods in the amphitheatre do a much better job, so I'll be discussing TV & movies there from now on.

EDIT:

Decided to actually read the thread after I posted, and came across this comment:

The users who followed the Survivor threads in the JCC never legitimately gave the HTR policy a chance to work. After the policy was decided upon and adopted in the JCC, those users took their threads to the Amphitheatre without giving the HTR a chance or to see if it would.

I feel I must point out that you have no idea what you are talking about, and apparently never listened to what we said 6 months ago (or whenever it was). Going back as far as the thread for Survivor 3 (couldn't find threads for S1 or 2, they must have been clipped years ago), people tried to HTR spoilers, but they always ended up spoiling the rest of the posters. We, as a Survivor fan community on the JCC all agreed to make the threads non-spoiler. This was never challeneged by the mods for 3 or 4 years, until a few months ago when they suddenly (and without sufficient reasoning or discussion) changed this policy. We had tried HTR in the past, and knew from experience that it didn't work. So, we went to the Amp. forum and have not had a single problem there. While I still think the rule is completely unjust, and downright idiotic, I don't even care anymore. As I said above, the JCC has gone too far downhill for me to even bother going back, even if you did change the rule back to the way it was.
  15. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've said my words on the matter and you are welcome to interpret those as you wish, though I think my reasoning was clear. I'll leave it at that since this really isn't my spot to debate anymore since I no longer mod the JCC. I feel very confident that the current JCC mod team will decide the best course of action, whether that be to leave the policy as is or repeal it.
  16. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Um, what reasoning ?

The threads existed as spoiler free for YEARS.

Suddenly, thats a problem.

I dont get it.
  17. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I am not very involved in this, I don't watch tv and I wasn't involved when the policy was created.

But why are you JUST brining this up now? Why not 7 months ago?

Also, wk has a good point, amphitheater is DESIGNED for stuff like that. We just allow it in JCC for community reasons. Why not try it there before stirring up drama over jcc policies?
  18. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    As this thrad and this thread show, its not a new issue.

There were quite a few peple aginst it when it started, and I was simply hoping that the new mods in JCC would use a bit more logic that the mods that created this policy.
  19. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    There were quite a few peple aginst it when it started, and I was simply hoping that the new mods in JCC would use a bit more logic that the mods that created this policy.

Just because you disagree with the chain of reasoning does not mean that it does not follow logic.

Keep that in mind. None of the moderators are doing this for "epower" or anything like that. We put up with too much crap to do this job for something so superficial as that.

As moderators, we all try our best to make the best decisions that we can for the good of our forums and the boards as a whole. Please try to keep that in mind as this discussion continues.

Kimball Kinnison
  20. Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    From page 1:

I think they're more effective that just giving a spoiler space like they do in Lit., personally.

Isn't Lit HTR, and hasn't it been that way for some time? :confused:

As to the issue: I'll be honest, I don't discuss TV or movies in the JCC, but what's the problem with making it all choice (by the thread or its creator) as to HTR or no-spoiler?
  21. FamousAmos VIP

star 6
    From page 1:

I think they're more effective that just giving a spoiler space like they do in Lit., personally.

Isn't Lit HTR, and hasn't it been that way for some time? confused

I haven't been active in Lit. lately, but wow. It used to be that you just had to put spoiler space. // feels old :eek:

Honestly, I see where you and the others in favor of multiple threads for no spoilers/spoilers are coming from, but I don't see HTR as being ineffective. I think it works just as well as separate threads, and it halves the number of threads necessary. Sounds like a good idea to me(but that's my opinion). :)
  22. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I understand where youre coming from Amos, is there a way to either test going back to thread poster's choice, or at least have a revote among JCC mods ?
  23. Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I understand where youre coming from Amos, is there a way to either test going back to thread poster's choice, or at least have a revote among JCC mods ?

Well, malkie, Amos, and droideka have all posted in defense or indifferent to the policy.* That's 60% of JCC mods posting saying the policy doesn't need to be changed.
  24. Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Actualy, I got the impression Malkie didnt like it, but was doing his job as mod and enforcing it anyway.
  25. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I haven't been active in Lit. lately, but wow. It used to be that you just had to put spoiler space.

Most people who use spaces don't know it's possible to make text "HTR."

I'm against any non-Star Wars spoiler policy. The users shouldn't be required to cater to those who haven't seen the season finale of The OC. Non-spoiler threads for shows/books/movies are fine, but spoilers should be fair game outside of those threads. I think users should be encouraged to employ "highlight-to-read" type posts to be polite(in the JCC? :eek: ), but enforcing it as a general rule is ridiculous.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.