main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC] YJCC HTR policy - review time

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wes_Janson, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    But was there ever a problem with thread redundancy (in regards to TV shows and movies, that is)? Possible redundancy isn't quite the same thing as actually having to deal with multiple threads. Social threads (until they were regulated) are a great example of redundancy, and an example of when things need to be clamped down on.

In my experience, there was never such a problem. The potential was certainly there if you had an abundance of NS/SA threads for the televsion shows and movies of the time. As I said though, it wasn't something that was on par with the social thread regulation.

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Agreed, though I think the issue itself was the fact that these users wanted to participate in the overall discussion of the subject reguardless of the thread. The NS was restrictive to what they could and could not discuss naturally. Like they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

But here's the thing, what 'spoiler' people want to talk about, and what 'non-spoiler' people want to talk about can (and quite often are) vastly different in nature (imagine that). Having sat on both sides of the fence though, it is possible for someone who is spoiled to discuss things with those non-spoiled as long as you realise that there are lines you can't cross.

3. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Well, lets see, a usegroup has been driven away.
    Hows that for results.
    not only cut down on spam, but also get rid of some pesky users.

Wes, I see what you're saying but if we changed the policy to what it was before, wouldn't we be tailoring to that one segment of users, and in turn, showing favortism? I think the focal point of all this discussion should be to the find what policy is best suited for the JCC as a whole.

4. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    EDIT

Didnt see Dashys above post before posting, as I didnt refresh for a minute. (didnt see teh new page either)

No Dasy, you wouldnt be tailoring the rules.
    You would be showing maturity, by being willing to admit a mistake.

5. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    The policy which best fits the JC is the one that encourages the most discussion that falls within the bounds of the rules.

Since the HTR has lead to a drastic decrese in the number of threads dealing with the materials it would cover, it seems to me to have failed.

I still await anyone explaing by what criteria it is called a sucess.

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    I still await anyone explaing by what criteria it is called a sucess.

I think it is being labeled a success due to the fact that outside of the Survivor thing, there were no major setbacks or meltdowns associated with the policy over the course of the last 5 months.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    But what improvements has it made, since I'd have to say that "Well, we didn't blow anything up" isn't the most resounding of success stories.

8. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Minus the fact that you wouldnt know who else might have considerd posting a thread, but for a draconianly imposed rule.

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Based on my experience, the high points would be a cut down on the number of threads and a greater unification of disucssion for the users, which can be a double-edged sword.

10. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    It has cut down on the number of threads, in fact it's cut them down to almost 0.

And frankly whatever 'a greater unification of disucssion for the users' is, it only occurs if there are thread's they're discussing in, otherwise it's just theory.

11. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    the high points would be a cut down on the number of threads

In JCC, there will always be an overabundence of threads

and a greater unification of disucssion for the users
    Unifacation of threads on same topic=good
    SA=/=NSA threads

12. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I think that people are forgetting that this thread only called for a review.

Not an all out war about the actual policy.

I figured that it would be brought up, then seen, then brought up in MS, then decided on.

I didn't think that there would be a 7 page Comms thread arguing about the pro's and cons of the thing.

Now surely, the mods have weighed up the pro's and con's already.

You don't need to remind them, they're not that forgetful. ("That" being loosely applied)

So, if it has been brought up in modsquad, why don't we let them decide and say their verdict, and then argue.

It'll be better in the long run.

13. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Who else is concerned by the fact that the SINGLE spoiler free thread left is one that a JCC mod is a poster in ?

Not trying to cause greif, but just bringing up a hard fact.

14. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Who else is concerned by the fact that the SINGLE spoiler free thread left is one that a JCC mod is a poster in ?

Who's that and in which thread?

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I didn't think that there would be a 7 page Comms thread arguing about the pro's and cons of the thing.

That's sort of what usually happens when policies are discussed in Communications. Literally several dozen examples of it in older Communications threads. Just that they tend to be a lot longer than a few pages (as this one currently is).

16. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    I haven't really read much on this subject, or know much of the problem at the topic at hand, but I'm sick of Wes IMing me and whining like a little girl about it to me instead of having a normal conversation, so here goes my suggestion:

If people do not like the HTR/lack of spoiler free-ness...then go elsewhere for these discussions. Why not make your own forum, say on EZboard, for spoiler-free discussions? The mods can link to it in a sticky, or you can tell people about it by word of mouth (or type as it may be).

I'd think everyone would be happy then. It might not have the same atmosphere as TFN, but I'd think that if you REALLY wanted the rules THAT badly, it'd be worth it. And who knows, maybe once the mod force see how it goes, they'd bring the old way back (not saying it'd happen, but things like that have happened before)

For those of you who think it's a rule that isn't needed...well, I dissagree with a lot of my countries laws. But I put up with them, don't I? And seeing as though I hate them, as soon as I'm of legal age, I'm moving out. So if you don't like it, you could do the same. Or maybe have dual citizenship, like I said.

So there's the suggestion from the crafter: diy.

17. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Raef: I only IMd you once, you kept a diatribe going on the subject.

Kate: You and the smallvile thread Dashy linked to.

18. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Wes, that thread hasn't been "No Spoilers" for a looong time. I haven't posted in awhile, but we were highlighting them if we posted. I just really need to change the title.

19. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Wes, I have logs. You imed me 3 times on the subject. I only debated in teh last one becuase I'm fed up.

20. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Date Posted: 12:48pm Subject: RE: The >>>Official<<< Smallville Discussion Thread (No Spoilers Allowed)

Either you or Dashy are lying, as he linked to it as a spoiler free thread. Its a spoiler free thread, at least by the title.

And youve still praticipated in the thread. The fact that is the ONLY thread that is spoiler free. And a mod used it since the rule went into effect.

Katya_Jade
    Title:
    -Comms Admin
    -JCC Manager
    Date Posted: 10/21 9:54am Subject: RE: The >>>Official<<< Smallville Discussion Thread (No Spoilers Allowed)

And you last posted in it way after the rule went itno effect, btw.

21. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Wes...what did I just say? I need to change the title. We've posted HTR spoilers in there and even commented that it's not a true spoiler free thread.

22. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Then why did Dashy say it was grandfatherd thru ?

And since other threads posted as NSA are edited so quickly, I find it disturbing that a spoiler thread would be left tittles as a spoiler free one, considering how easily someone coulc get spoiled that way.

We've posted HTR spoilers in there and even commented that it's not a true spoiler free thread.

So thats the offical policy ? True spoiler free threads arnt allowed in JCC ?

23. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Katya what criteria are you judging this rule by as a sucess or not? Lets remember that this was a trial one which usually means it will be judged based on it's performance.

So what the hell are the criteria for sucess here?

Destroying almost all discussion of topics which would be HTR in JCC?

Claiming it's on a case by case basis and then enforcing it as an absolute?

Making people complain about it in Comm?

How are you judging the sucess of a program? Other then the obvious that you think it should work therefore it works.

Since it has been widely claimed as a sucess then atleast some of you should be able to state why, shouldn't you?

24. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Katya what criteria are you judging this rule by as a sucess or not?

farrie, I never once said it was a success. In my previous post, I said that I didn't really see the need to mandate everything as an HTR thread. Right now, I think making the default policy being threads are automatically HTR with users being able to PM a mod to request a no-spoiler thread would be the best way to go. All we don't want to happen is have a glut of non-spoiler and spoiler threads for movies or shows that may not warrant that level of discussion.

25. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    I dont get that Katya. What glut ?

There was NEVER a glut of NSA threads before the rule. What makes you thinks this glut would magicly appear ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.