main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Y'know... that feeling?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Dec 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Some films you walk out of, and you feel...
    Well, like Dak. Like you could take on the whole Empire by yourself. Yeah - okay, Dak was a loser - but you get my meaning. It's this feeling of exhileration. An exuberence that lasts for hours after the film. As you go walking out of the theatre and through the parking lot your feet hardly touch the ground. Some films are really good that way.

Matrix had it a bit. I knew, leaving that theatre, that if I had a leather trenchcoat and sunglasses, I too could run up walls and do the flippy kicking kung fu thing.

Raiders of the Lost Ark had it. Who can honestly say they didn't grab the first rope like object and begin whipping it about afterwards. Throw me the idle, I throw you the skipping rope.

And Star Wars.
    Star Wars had it in spades.
    Now - we've talked many a time about our favourite scenes in the SW saga, but I don't think we've talked about that feeling.

For myself...
    it's the chase through the asteroids in Empire. Most specifically, the very moment the music really kicks in... (sing along with me DAHdahda dah dah dahhh dum). To this day that very moment makes me wish to hell I had a spaceship. The computer games are okay - but are a poor substitute.

Next runner up is the very beginning of Phantom Menace as Qui Gon and Obi Wan are tearing through battle droids like so much cannon fodder.

So what was it for you? What scene, more than any other makes you want to just leap right through that screen and be a part of the legend?

2. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, there was that one scene in Showgirls, you know, where that chick from that TV show about school, does that pole thing...

;)

Nah, I do remember the one movie I do recall that feeling, was after seeing the 1st Superman movie. I was leaping up into the air (and onto the couch) for months.

But, you, Tragic, hit the big ones on the head (I had a wicked touch with that skipping rope)

:)

3. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    And, just for the record, I have never seen the movie Showgirls.

Kenobi out.

4. Yale_Solo

Yale_Solo Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2000
    In Star Wars... The part I really felt like jumping into the action was the battle of Endor. Man... It would feel so good to blow away some Tiez!

Now what other movies... Hmm...
    Maybe Mall Rats? lol! Yeah I'd love to meet Stan Lee!

But really, a movie that got me wanting to be part of the action would be X-Men. How cool would it be to be a mutant saveing man kind?

The Matrix got me going too. I just wanted to wip open a can of woop ass and blow everyone away ;-).

Idono... There are prolly others, but nothing I can think of off the top of my head.

-Yale
    Blah out.

5. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    :)
    Superman was originally in the lot, but I took it out figuring most of the folks here would never have seen it in theatres. But yes - one certainly did believe a man could fly.

Superman (catching Lois in mid-air) "Don't worry ma'am, I've got you."
    Lois "You've got me...? Who's got you!?!"

Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded - but doesn't it seem like there's less and less films coming out that have that feeling to them?

6. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    It does feel that way...less movies coming out with a huge impact but one of the ones that gets the feeling going is...

Gladiator--when they walk into the Coliseum for the first time and the camera rotates around them, you know you're in for one kick arse of a time!

I think the first movie that really got me into that mode was Enter the Dragon. I was pretty young to be watching it (bad mom! j/k) maybe 8 or so...I'm not sure which scene it was but what ever it was got me to act like Lee for days (years?) after and prompted me to take Tae Kwan Do Karate lessons for 5 years.

(Stopped after an unfortuanate incident involving the horse stance and my pants, but we'll not talk about that)

Also, TPM when the Theed hangar doors open and Darth Maul is revealed and the battle begins. That will always have that same impact every time!

Great thread idea Tragic!

7. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    > take Tae Kwan Do Karate lessons for 5 years.

Adam!?!

That just doesn't sound like the Adam we know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.