main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    It's been a while since Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl came out, but way back when it did, it was well recieved. It was humourous. It was exciting. It was fresh and new, and reminiscient for some people of Errol Flynn's ancient 1935 Captain Blood. Johnny Depp was hilarious as shwasbuckily Captain Jack Sparrow.

And now we have the trailer for Pirates 2, which looks even more exciting and funny, like in the moment where Will shouts "I can't leave without Jack!", turns to see Jack running towards him with a mob of savage-like people behind him and then Will yells "Never mind, let's go!"

[face_laugh]

So... what do you think is in store of Pirates 2?

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    *cough*

:)

I think it's going to be brillaint. It appears that mutant skeleton guys are back.

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I liked POTC1. I didn't see it until it was well out on video. By that time all I heard was how incredible it was. And I think it was good and fun. But I swear it feels very Disneyfied to me. I can't describe it. It's goody goody and bubble gum a lot. I think it received so much word of mouth is because it had appeal at some level to just about everyone, kind of like Titanic.

4. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    What is the second one about?

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I saw the preview for the second film recently. Although I did enjoy the humorous comments from Will regarding Jack Sparrow, I didn't think that the preview overall was that great, but I'm optimistic for I love the characters from the first film.

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I think the way I interpreted the previews long ago for POTC1 was that it would be this dark pirate movie. And it wasn't. I saw the trailer online for POTS2 and it looks good, especially a waterwheel sword fight, but the same overall feel.

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I loved POTC1, the comedy was certainly there.

For anyone interested, here's the POTC2 Trailer.

:)

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved Curse of the Black Pearl with a ridiculous passion. I think I saw that film half a dozen times in theatres. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it turned out to be probably the most perfect film imaginable to bear the "Pirates of the Caribbean" moniker. It was based off ideas from the ride in all the right places (and worked in references to the ride brilliantly, as well) and was just a lot of fun to watch. Depp was brilliant.

That being so, I am fearful that the sequels won't live up to it. But given that it's all the same team and they're keeping the dark fantasy aspects intact, I'm very hopeful and I'll be there opening weekend, no question about it.

M. Scott

9. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I can say I love the ride at Disney World bearing the same name.

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I've never been on the ride, but then I've never been to Disney Land either.

That being so, I am fearful that the sequels won't live up to it. But given that it's all the same team and they're keeping the dark fantasy aspects intact, I'm very hopeful and I'll be there opening weekend, no question about it.

Sequels (except for Lord of the Rings) I'm always not too sure about (bad experiences with sequels like Lion King II and such), but for me, the trailer for POTC 2 was quite exciting enough to convince me that as long as they have the team from POTC 1 back, it'll still be good. But still I'm desperately hoping that it'll be as funny as the first one and just as exciting.

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    PotC was my favorite movie for the year when it came out. I like that Elizabeth wasn't too whimpy and crying all the time. She seems to have a better roll in PotC2 as well, they finally got her out of the corsets and her jammies :)

Sword fights look awesome too. Not to sure about the monsters in this one though.

12. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    *high fives Dorkman* I know exactly how you feel! Black Pearl has got to be the most fun movie I have ever seen in te theatres. I went to see it four times and I couldn't wait until the DVD came out.

About POTC2, I hope they don't focus just on Captain Jack's silly side. I really hope we get to see more of that dangerous edge as in the first movie.

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Question, isn't Keith Richards supposed to be in the two sequels?

14. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Last I heard he was going to be in the 3rd movie with a cameo...

I'm excited for POTC2. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a bad Disney sequel. POTC was one of the best movies I've seen, and I'm still shocked today that Disney made it. Let's hope this goes along the lines of the first movie. :)

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I certainly hope we see more of Elizabeth than they showed us from the recent POTC2 preview, she was in it for about 2 seconds and that was it. I loved that she was fiesty, independent, and sassy. She's like Princess Leia w/o the respect :p

16. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I love POTC, it's my favorite none Star Wars movie. Except maybe Mask of Zorro.

-The Scummy-

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    She's like Princess Leia w/o the respect

Lol.

I saw some pictures that are apparently from POTC2, and it appears that Elizabeth is arrested (for reasons unknown) and put in jail and then Will visits her and I'm guessing he'll rescue her. :p

18. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I've watched the trailer as well. It looks good enough to go and check out.

19. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    All i'm going to say is that more Johnny Depp and Capt'n Jack is a good thing ;)

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Pirates is awesome, its one of them I'm ashamed I didn't see in theaters. The 2nd one I will most def. I just love the whole Jack Sparrow charc. and how Johnny portrayed him. It was just a fun ligh-hearted pirates film. Reminded me of what I love about Princess Bride, except more piraty things. :)

~PK~

21. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I loved the comedy in POTC1 and I hope that the sequel has lots more of it.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    When I saw the trailer for the sequel I was caught between "Cool! More of the same!" and "Oh well, more of the same."

I'm leaning towards "Cool..." though.

23. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    *ventures into Sci-Fi/Fantasy Forum land for the first time*

I was completely obsessed with Pirates of the Caribbean a couple years ago. I still like it now, and I'm curious to see PotC 2. If Johnny Depp is half as good as he was in the first one, I think it'll be a fun movie. :D

Question, isn't Keith Richards supposed to be in the two sequels?

I've heard so many different things that I don't know what to believe. But personally, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that he is! [face_praying]

24. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    WRT Keith Richards:

They want him, but as of the most recent report, they hadn't been able to negotiate it yet.

M. Scott

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Shame. It'd be nice to see him in, even if it were for only a small cameo. I guess it's hard to sort through his schedule at the moment, what with the Rolling Stones in the middle of another World Tour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.