main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    After eight long years of waiting I'll finally get to see a film digitally projected when I see At World's End tomorrow.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Enjoy that - I saw AOTC and RoTS in digital and the difference is amazing.

I think it opened here in the UK today - I know my cinema has evening showings today. The showings start at 930 am tomorrow! I hope it is better than the reviews I have seen. So far none have been complimentary.

3. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Just got back from seeing it...

...LOVED IT!!!! Seriously I really dont know what film the reviewers are seeing but it isnt AWE lol

Plot: Yes, it has many subtle points to it but if you listen to the dialouge and actually WATCH ACTORS PERFORMANCES you will easily be able to keep up. I did, and so did my friend. Seriously, if you come out of this not knowing what happened or what went on YOUR AN IDIOT lol Acting is as much about what isnt said, and if you remember that you'll do fine with this film.

Running Time: Yes, it is long, but you dont realise it really. The film keeps you entertained and interested enough to make the 3 hours fly by. Stay after the credits aswell, nice little scene.

Acting: Very good. Bloom and Knightley are still a bit meh, like the last 2 films, but are watchable. Once again Depp steals the film. Rush and Nighy are both supurb!!! And most of the time when Davy Jones is on screen, he REALLY looks real. I mean better than gollum, the bar has been raised higher than I thought it could be.

This film rules. Do not listen to the reviews, go and see it yourself and be amazed.

5/5 stars

4. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    How big is the final battle?

5. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Quick question. I picked up COTBP when DMC came out for cheap. Does anyone know of any deals going on with DMC on DVD?

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The final battle is fantastic and hilarious. What's interesting though is that it really comes down to the Pearl vs. The Dutchman. The other sides all wait it out while these two fight. It's a fantastic battle.

Just got back from the 8 pm. Very pleased.

I liked how they pretty much wrapped up Will and Elizabeth's story. And given the ending, a Pirates 4 is certainly not out of the question.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm not a huge Pirates fan. I enjoyed the first, didn't really like the second, but this one blew me away.

The two things the Pirates movies always had going for them were a unique plot that didn't tie itself up by adhering to the rules of any classic story, and equally unique characters that don't fall into any single stereotype. This movie made the most of those two points, and didn't loose my attention once.

Furthermore, the movie had some of the best action sequences/CGI I've ever seen in a film. You'd have to see it two or more times to see all the little details going on in the background.

Most of all, the characters made this movie fly. I find a lot of movies out there have characters that I really don't give a damn about. In this film, I was rooting for everyone, even the minor 2-bit characters thrown in for comic relief. Which reminds me -- this film had more LOL-moments than the last two combined, and it threw out most of the corny slap-stick comedy that (IMO) made the second movie stupid.

As DewBackRider88 said, don't listen to the reviews until you've seen it yourself. This movie is awesome.

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Better than the second, not as good as the first.

Someone explain to me how Barbossa can be one of the nine pirate lords -- a rank apparently bestowed by a prior lord and captain -- when he was actually Jack Sparrow's first mate on the Black Pearl until leading the mutiny. He would have had no likely opportunity to gain that rank after becoming Captain (considering he was an undead ghost ship pirate the whole time) and there's no way he would have been Jack's first mate if he was already a pirate lord.

And why did Will have to cut out his heart to become the Captain of the Dutchman? Davy Jones only did that because he felt hurt and betrayed by Calypso, and that happened AFTER his first ten-year stint on the Dutchman, so clearly the heart-in-a-box is not a prerequisite to the gig.

Decent conclusion to the story they started in #2, but #1 wrapped itself up nice and clean in the first place. COTBP is something I consider a perfect movie. AWE is just pretty good.

9. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    AWE was amazing a tweak here and there and the movie would be near perfect

10. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Id say this trilogy is the new OT for this generation. Great characters, great fun, great battles.

The first film (like ANH) is a really good self-contained film that has its own ending, but still sets up the other 2 (like ANH lol). The second is darker and has a cliffhanger ending (like ESB) and the third wraps up the loose ends for both the stories and the characters and has a brilliant end battle (like ROTJ)

All in all this trilogy is awsome and each film is easily a 4/5 star film minimum. I still cant decide between 2 or 3, but im leaning towards 3 atm.

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    There's a poll up for At World's End if anybody is interested.

I actually thought of this as well. However, it then came back to this question for me: The nine pieces of eight? What's this eight part about?

12. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    I thought AWE was good. Not as good as COTB or DMC, but it still was good. I was glad to see Mullroy and Murtogg back in AWE and I loved it when there was multiple Jack's in Davy Jones locker when he was hallucinating.

13. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    During the Golden Age of Piracy (and well into the 19th Century) A Piece of Eight was a Spanish or Spanish American coin roughly that was roughly equivalent to today's dollar coin. however, However unlike today's American dollar which is worth 100 pennies, the Piece of Eight was worth, you guessed it, eight of Spain's small common demonination, the Reale (sometimes spelled "real").

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/money.html

So basically it's the same as saying "nine dollars" except sounds much more mystical and significant because of the two conflicting numbers.

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Ah, thank you very much Dorkman. :)

Do we know how long Barbossa was captain of the Pearl?

15. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    According to the dialogue in COTBP, Barbossa was Captain for ten years before the events of the film. The mutiny he led against Jack was to get the information on the location of Isla de Muerta, so it can be assumed that the pirates became cursed almost immediately following the mutiny.

On the other hand, it was only eight years between when they found young Will floating with the medallion at sea and the events of the film, so there's two years unaccounted for.

16. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    On my earlier post, I think I went to far in saying DMC was better than AWE. Can't wait till AWE comes out on DVD and hopefully there will be a Pirates 4, just as long as there is Mullroy, Murtogg, Pintel, and Ragetti and of course Jack Sparrow.

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I see, Dorkman. You've also reminded me of this conversation in DMC.
    Davey Jones: You have a debt to pay. You've been captain of the Black Pearl for thirteen years. That was our agreement.
    Jack Sparrow: Technically, I was only captain for two years, then I was viciously mutinied upon.
    Davey Jones: Then you were a poor captain, but a captain nonetheless! Have you not introduced yourself all these years as "Captain Jack Sparrow"?
    Which means the dialogue coincides perfectly between each film.

Perhaps, however Pirate Lords are actually declared, Barbossa became one during those ten years? It's a decent chunk of time. I imagine things could easily have changed.

18. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Barbossa tells Sao Feng that they need Jack because he failed to name a successor and pass on his "piece of eight". If you could just declare someone a pirate lord they probably would have done so and left Jack to his fate.

And don't forget that while under the Curse, the Black Pearl was shunned by sailors and pirates alike. Barbossa would be unlikely to have the title of pirate lord conferred upon him during that time, nor be given his "piece of eight."

Also, that was a nice try on the retcon with the wooden eye, but we see that character carving it for himself in COTBP. If it were a sacred treasure he was protecting for Barbossa I don't see him making any cosmetic adjustments to it like that, and the conversation he has with his partner about replacing it with a glass eye would never have happened.

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Singapore was one of the best environments of the series. Wish we'd see more. Maybe in 4.

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I got the score. Keep relistening to the first three tracks, which is the first 30 min.

21. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The nine pieces of eight was just whatever junk they pirate lords had at the time. I honestly don't think any of the other lords would have noticed if Reggiti's fake eye was different. Heck, Barbosa could have told them he lost the eye but he did have a rotten apple core in his pocket and they probably would have accepted it as a substitute. They're not real big on rules, I mean guidelines. Also whose to say that Barbosa didn't steal the title of a pirate lord? Maybe Barbosa threatened a pirate lord with his curse and the pirate lord gave him his title. He is a pirate after all.

ANd about the digital screening. The digital projection was wonderful. The screen it was projected on was not. It had tears and splotches in different areas that were quite noticeable during portions of the film. The screen was also slightly curved so the image wasn't a perfect rectangle. I was annoyed to say the least.

22. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    wow. I know this is just an opinion but that movie made no sense. Even the stuff that could have made sense didnt because they left so many plotholes. i didnt care about the characters. except jack a little but even he is pushing it. a lot of cool characters got really pushed to the side like wills dad and norrington. everything was just wrong.

you dont start your action movie with a musical number and a child execution.

you dont give captain jack a lame introduction.

you dont make orlando bloom the captain of the deadliest ship on the seven seas.

you dont bring back barbossa then not explain it and play his antagonism with jack be played for laughs.

you dont have keira knightley become king of the pirates, you put her in a bathrobe and leave her there.

you dont bring in chow yun fat and not let him fight.

you dont make the originally kind of cool witch become god then grow to 1000 feet, yell some unintelligible stuff, and turn into a bunch of crabs and not explain if shes does anything,

and you dont have the monkey blow up singapore.

i loved the first 2 movies and i wanted to love this one but it was just a mess. :(

23. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004

24. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I think it was a mistake opening thursday night. The friday Number is horrible. 43m. Spidey should've gone down.

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    and you dont have the monkey blow up singapore.

They didn't blow up the entire country. They only blew up the port.

btw, did anyone catch the scene after the credits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.