Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Berserker Jedi Master

star 3
    saw it yesterday , loved it, best of all 3, its now on my list of favorite films. The score was superb and i really enjoyed elizabeth's speech before the final battle, that scene was so aragorn before the black gates(ROTK). i like the multiple jacks thing. the scene after the credits was interesting. i can see a fourth a few years from now but it wont have elizabeth and will. it will be back to like the first one with jack trying to get back his ship. im going to see it again this coming weekend
  2. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Hmmm, I might use most of yours, but mine is as follows:

1) Final Battle (AWE) - Cannons firing everything, people flying all over the place on ropes, ships speeding around, water becoming violent, mass chaos, love it. Everyone is involved and everyone is fighting to the death.
    2) Jack's sympathy towards Will (AWE) - Jack likes to act tough and pretend that he doesn't care, but in the end, he really does. At the end, when Will is stabbed in the heart, Jack's emotions, that were hidden before, show. His facially expression is priceless. He has compassion for his friend that he never really showed before because he has a hard shell. Jack put Will before himself. That's an amazing thing.
    3) Breaking the Curse (COTBP) - Love this scene as well. Perfect. We think Elizabeth is shot, but it's Barbossa. He didn't expect that.
    4) Lament for Jack/Barbossa's Return (DMC) - Great cliffhanger plus the unexpected Barbossa return. I love how they ended it. Made me want to see AWE right away.
    5) Jack Arrives at Port Royal (COTBP) - I love the music here. Jack coming in looking that a bad-ass pirate, then we pull back and see his ship is quickly sinking. What an entrance that sums up Jack perfectly, both literally and figuratively.

That's my top five at the moment.

3. Yodaminch Chosen One

star 6
    My top 3:

Jack Arrives at Port Royal (COTBP): The heroic music is great but also Jack's actions. Bribing the guy and then stealing some money. Plus the walk.

Jack's First Appearance (DMC): That poor bird. I love the gun moving like a perascope.

Jack's appearance to the Crew (AWE): When Jack comes riding in on the Pearl on LAND, with the music, it was a nice parellel to the intro at Port Royal and once again shows Jack as a bit of hero.

And if they make a 4th, I want Jack's entrance to be: Riding Sea turtles. C'mon. You know you want to see that joke. Saying it for the 4th time would kill it, but actually doing it would be great.
  4. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    The one problem I have is they didn't explain how Barbossa came back. They have to go through all this trouble to get Jack back, but apparently Barbossa just pops back into existence one day. Obviously Calyspo has something to do it with it, but how? Why? What's the difference between him and Jack?
  5. Yodaminch Chosen One

star 6
    They DID touch on it. When they passed the artic area, they were discussing why Tia Dalma didn't just bring Jack back to life like she did with Barbossa. She said that Barbossa was merely dead. Jack's body AND soul were trapped in the locker. Also in that scene where Barbossa and Tia Dalma argues she mentions that he was brought back for a reason. She then grabbed his hand and it temporarily reverted to bone.
  6. Darth_Berserker Jedi Master

star 3
    im gona go see it again this sunday with a few maes who havnt seen it, il probly see it again for a third time after that, then il see if i noticed anything i ddint the first time i saw it. one thing that kinda got me annoyed though is they never explained how jack actaully got to the locker , yeh we knw the kraken took him there and all but did it like spit him out onto the shore and go away or ???
  7. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I like it ambiguous. If they explain everything that loses some of the fun. I wonder if the Kraken had to play dead when the sun rose/set (still forget)
  8. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    I did go to the bathroom during part of the arctic scene. Probably missed that then.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Nope- Cutler had Jones kill the Krakken.
  10. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    Tia Dalma brought Barbossa back, and helped with Jack's rescue, because, as Pirate Lords, their pieces of eight are required to release Calypso. Barbossa's going along with the same plan to ensure freedom for all pirates. How Barbossa is brought back is unknown, but don't forget Isla de Muerta was "claimed by the sea" according to Gibbs - and in the same conversation, "the hurricane" is brought up, though this is a separate event. Seeing as Calypso was the sea goddess, perhaps even in her diminished state, Tia Dalma had something to do with the island's sinking and could thus reclaim Barbossa.

As for top moments...

10) Up Is Down (AWE) - great, fun sequence, made all the better by Hans Zimmer's bouncy score.
    9) Commandeering the Interceptor (CotBP) - completely captures the spirit of the films. The music is fantastic, and the sequence is delightfully... Disney-ly... piratey. So good it was reworked for AWE.
    8) Hoist the Colours (AWE) - who'd've thought the opening of a Disney film would focus on a young boy about to be hanged? Well, it works, even if it does almost stray dangerously into the realms of a musical. Effectively sets the mood for the film.
    7) Freedom (CotBP) - Jack's speech to Elizabeth about "what the Black Pearl really is". A beautiful sentiment, and Jack's only true desire in the film - freedom.
    6) "What's become of my ship?" (DMC) - Barbossa's back! The reason I left the cinema with a massive grin and all hyped up for 2007. And he finally gets his apple!
    5) Davy Jones plays his organ (DMC) - to be honest, the organ is completely superfluous - or could have been simply symbolized by the locket - but the scene is to me pure, classic cinema. There's something so fun and iconic about Davy playing the organ with his tentacles. Plus amazing work from the combined efforts of Bill Nighy and ILM.
    4) "My heart will always belong to you" (AWE) - lovers' reunion in the brig. Davy Jones' human form was a welcome surprise. The entire scene was beautifully written, directed and acted.
    3) "I don't think now is the best time!" (AWE) - the marriage of Will and Elizabeth. I certainly don't think it's cheesy, but totally brilliant, gloriously over-the-top and the best wedding committed to film.
    2) Davy Jones' introduction (DMC) - "Do you fear death?" A personal favourite that really sets Davy Jones apart as something special. And it's the second best introduction in the series...
    1) Jack's introduction (CotBP) - best introduction for a character ever. Not only is it utterly cool in its own right, it perfectly sets up the character, and makes the end of the trilogy pay off.
  11. Eme-ma_Himou Force Ghost

star 4
    1. Jack's Introduction (COTBP) -- It really is the most memorable part of recent movie history. Everyone knows that scene. EVERYONE.
    2. Jack's New Quest (AWE) -- Putting up the Sparrow Flag, checking his compass, reaching for his rum, then onward towards the horizon and immortality. Great way to end the trilogy.
    3. What has become of my shi-i-ip? (DMC) -- The second time I saw DMC in theaters (still opening weekend), I brought a green apple to munch on during that scene. I left the theater, chewing on the apple, and folks are still dumbfounded that I knew ahead of time. Still gives me goosebumps every time I watch that scene.
    4. Taking Down the Endeavor (AWE) -- Will's Rebirth and the Dutchman and the Pearl taking down Beckett: absolutely priceless.
    5. The Wedding (AWE) -- Yeah, pretty cool. Especially when you're a Barbossa fan.
    6. Jack/Elizabeth/Will vs. Davy Jones (AWE) -- I am still heartbroken every time I see Depp's face after Jones stabs Will. As Obiwan said above, this showed that Jack wasn't a heartless pirate out for himself ("could you condemn an innocent man, a FRIEND, to a lifetime of servitude in your name while you roam free?"). Then the escape of Elizabeth/Jack.
    7. Me? I'm dishonest. (COTBP) -- Yeah. Pretty awesome quote. And it FINALLY shows you where Jack's allegiances lie.
    8. Norrington's Introduction (DMC) -- I'm a James fan. The character of James Norrington is quite awesome and definately underused in AWE. DMC was Norrington's movie, no doubt there.
    9. Davy Jones' Introduction (DMC) -- Yeah, I just love doing that accent. Wonderful scene...
    10. He's a Pirate (COTBP) -- Jack sailing off into the sunset with the Pearl. "Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na... and really bad eggs... drink up, me hearties yoho!"
    11. Pirates of the Caribbean (AWE) -- After going down the waterfall, the screen goes black and one can hear the RIDE. Most awesome and pushes my list out to 11.
  12. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    1. Jack's Intro (CotBP) - best Jack entrance of all three, great introduction to the world of PotC, highly iconic and absolutely hilarious. Even knowing full well it's this leaky nutshell, it still looks like he's atop the mast of a great ship.

2. Hoist the Colors (AWE) - one of the best movie openings ever, partly because it is a Disney movie starting with a young boy about to be hanged (as Kwenn said above). Gave me chills, brought me close to tears. I love the song. Only RotS and TTT have better opening scenes.

3. "What's become of my ship?" (DMC) - I had made the mistake and looked at the cast listing for DMC before seeing the movie and had seen Geoffrey Rush there. But I thought it would be some kind of flashback or something and forgot by the time the movie started. Even his footsteps down the stairs didn't jolt my memory. So even though I should have known, it still took me completely by surprise. And it just leaves you with that! Whoa. Cruel. Yet awesome.

4. Jack's Debt (DMC) - the conversation between Jack and Jones regarding his debt. A little expostion, a little humor, a little good old Jack, a little great acting by Nighy. Wonderful little scene.

5. Leaving Me on an Island (CotBP) - "... with naught but a name and your word that it's the one I need." My favorite piece of dialogue to quote, great banter between Jack and Barbossa (something AWE lacked a little), wonderfully manipulative, and a very clever way of revenge.

6. Hello Beastie (DMC) - while Jack was honourable (?) enough to return, Elizabeth made sure he'd stay, jeopardizing her relationship with Will in the process, sacrificing with regret someone she belived could be a good man. We all know Jack won't die, but they still kinda "kill Jack". Whoa. And that huge gaping mouth of the beast. Whoa.

7. Final Battle (AWE) - so incredibly busy but not half as difficult to follow as some of the bargaining scenes. Great buildup (Elizabeth's speech, hoisting the colors, the chorus in the background), good music, great effects, breathtaking shots, intense action, high stakes, everybody playing their part, a marriage in the midst of it all, and some unforeseen twists that ultimately doom the EITC (and esp. Becket). Jack doing the honorable thing, Will "dying" and taking over the Dutchman.

8. Take a Walk (CotBP) - Jack talking Barbossa into an alliance might be a little redundant in this list now, but they're so great together. The reveal why it's "Not to the boats" is iconic. It's one of the lesser twists but the Underwater March is still a small surprise and utilizes an undead crew to the best.

9. Tia Dalma (DMC) - "It's me front I'm worried about", touch of destiny, why Davy Jones is, hints at her being the woman in question, an undead monkey and a jar of dirt - what more would you want?

10. Curiosity (DMC) - same as #11, though rather because of cleverness than hilarity, but a spot higher because it adds so much character to the two of them and ties into plot points of two movies.

11. Jack and the Guards (CotBP) - about the Pearl and the pretty boat - ship! - they're guarding. Hilarious piece of dialogue. To this day I can't quote it, but it's this wit that I love about PotC the most.

12. Locked in Eternal Combat (CotBP) - the whole fight between Barbossa and now-undead Jack, jumping in and out of moonlight beams, with more of their wonderful banter ("Or you could surrender") and Barbossa's craziness. As pointless as Barbossa says, if it wasn't for the combined ingenuity of Jack and Will.

13. Reunion in the Locker (AWE) - The crew arrives, wondering where Jack is and promptly he arrives on his ship, "sailing" over the dune. Cute little moment, followed by a fun little discussion of Jack's sanity and everyone's reasons to rescue him.

14. It's a Key (DMC) - "Much more better. It is a drawing of a key." Again, I can't quote it, but I love it.

15. Sailing through the Stars (AWE) - visually mostly. In fact, I can't even remember what happens there, but it looks cool. Oh wait, Will and Liz have another unsuccessful ta
  13. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    21 weekend. 253 cume. Analysts are saying 300 is out of the question. I hope not and beg to differ.
  14. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well we're looking at an 11-12 weekend. 273 cume. Estimates tomorrow.
  15. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I picked up The Pirate Code Guidelines. Some interesting info worth the price not much more.
  16. PadmeLover1991 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Apparently $820 million worldwide according to Box Office Mojo.com (in 24 days too). Looks more than likely to surpass DMC in my opinion.
  17. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    AWE was an interesting movie to see. But it had too many places glossed over. Especially involving the Tia Dalma/Calypso/Davy Jones arc. God, that arc had so much frakking potential and they wasted it, just like they practically wasted Chow Yun-Fat. It, however, was probably the most thought-provoking movie in the entire series. I enjoyed how the overall tone of the film was serious, as opposed to the previous two, which were more action-adventure movies.

Top Favorite Moments from the series, in no particular order:

DMC - The second encounter with The Kraken - When Davy Jones makes Bootstrap watch the merchant ship be devoured, the music is the best part. The organs blasting. It still makes my spin shiver to see that scene. "Release THE KRAKEN!!!" Bill Nighy = great

COTBP - The introduction of Captain Jack Sparrow - The absolute best introduction of any character in cinematic history. Riding on top of a sinking boat and stepping off right at the dock. Brilliant.

COTBP - The Final Fight with Barbossa until the releasing of the curse - Great fighting, great dialogue, and Barbossa being the ultimate version of a pirate.

AWE - Hoisting of the colors - The most emotional scene in the entire series. Poignant, morose, but beautiful in a disturbing way.

DMC - Davy Jones playing the organ - It's not a specific scene, however. It shows up in a couple scenes. His frantic movements convey a tortured soul, and now that AWE has explained some of it (however briefly), it rings all the more powerful.

AWE - The Pirate Kings + The Final Battle - Combined, this is a great sequence. Even with Keith Richards non-funny turn as the spitting image of Blackbeard, it was fantastic. And Jack's turn into a relatively decent guy...magnifico.

COTBP - The moon shows us what we truly are - The SFX, combined with the action, storytelling, and the music makes for a memorable scene.
  18. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't know but Keira's pre battle speech is up there. I wasn't this hyped up for a battle since Aragorn gave his speech at the Black Gates
  19. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Just listening to the music on the soundtrack during her pre-battle speech is enough to make me ready to go into battle. :p
  20. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Pirates stands at 279.7m I'm thinking 300 is possible.

279.7 current
    Weekend - 7.3 - 287m
    Weekday - 2.8 - 289.8
    Weekend - 4.5 - 293.3
    Weekday - 1.8 - 294.1
    Weekend - 2.7 - 296.8
    Weekday - .9 - 297.7
    Weekend - 1.6 - 299.3
    Weekday - .5 - 299.8
    Weekend - .9 - 300.7

By the time HP-DH hits stores we'll see 300 m
  21. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  22. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    1.9-2 on Friday. I'm hoping for a big saturday increase.
  23. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    It's still playing in three screens in my theater. Still going strong here.
  24. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I only got one screen left. I may wait until the dollar theater. If work wasn't holding me back, I'd break my ROTS record of 10 times.
  25. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just as I predicted. Bring that 300 barrier. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.