main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Yeah, the extras aren't that great. Bog-standard featurettes -- though they are in themselves very cool, especially showing the creation of Sao Feng's charts and the Pirata Codex; the filming of the Maelstrom sequence; and Gore Verbinski rocking out to the Parley scene. Two deleted scenes, very disappointing, though the outtakes are always good fun.

One thing I did enjoy was finally hearing the full end credits music -- and now I wish it'd been put on the soundtrack. Awesome version of Hoist the Colours.

2. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Aye, that was a great piece of music. Shame they never use the end credit music on any of the CD releases, well except for COTBP (which was only the first 1 min and 30 secs).

What was the Hans Zimmer featurette like? I've been waiting for a doc on the music since the first movie DVD.

3. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    It was actually pretty cool. It's always cool to see a bit of behind-the-scenes on music for films like this. Hans and Gore seem to have a very easy relationship; there's shots of Hans busting out a lil' keyboard and improvising a cue, and Gore doing the electric guitar work for "Parley" -- which, again, was only released as a variant of the cue in the film. We really need an expanded score, and it's gotta include the cue where Jack and Liz fly from the Dutchman towards the end...

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    though it kinda bugged me that they threw around words like "unique" and "original" when, despite how good and indeed different Zimmer's PotC scores were, they're still Hans Zimmer scores, which are much much more similar to each other than many other composers'

I actually did a PotC marathon today, knowing the third DVD would arrive someone today. And I agree that we need an expanded score for AWE. There's some awesome cues missing from the CD.

5. Darth_Berserker

Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    boughy my copy yesterday, i like how in the bonus features you get a detail summary of all the pirate lords, it kinda explained little more than the film did as to why sao feng hates jack.

6. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    I've found three hidden features on the second disc: there are little selectable circles on either side of "More" on the first menu, and another to the left of "Back" on the second. I was running it on my laptop, so I just clicked them; I dunno if you can select them on DVD players, or if there's a special routine to go through.

Anyway, we get a feature on the peanut scene (and how difficult it was to shoot!), one on Simon Phillips (yeah, from The Who) who did a bit of [violent] drumming for the Singapore battle, and an animatic of the Hai Peng's journey through the ice and at World's End.

Still wish there was more... meat to it though. Not even a commentary in sight...

7. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Whilst we're on the subject of Easter Eggs and POTC, I found 2 on the DMC set. Both were on Disc Two, one was on the first page of bonus features. It just requires a bit of navigating around the menu until a leaf glows bright green. The second is on the second menu page and also requires a bit of fiddling with the arrow buttons. Again a green leaf will appear at the bottom IIRC.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Oh, and before I forget the first was about the catering operation undertaken for DMC and the second was about a guy who was hired to deal with coconuts when they were filming in the jungles.

8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I finally saw it this afternoon. I thought it was great. And I have to ask, what was so confusing about it. I heard and read several reviews saying the plot was confusing and disjointed. I didn't see it, I followed it just fine. Plus I loved hearing a little audio from the ride itself.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    well, the 6-way deception between Feng, Barbossa, Liz, Will, Jack and Becket is somewhat confusing - even if you understand it (which, by now, I think I do :p), though I always thought it was supposed to. Kinda like the whole "telling the truth" thing in CotBP, or the thing with what Jack says and Norrington does with the ambush.

But then again, even the Curse was confusing to people back then.

10. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    The curse is still confusing to me, but I have learned to let it go.:p

11. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    I think it's a damn good thing people are finding the plot hard to grasp. Much better than some of the tat I've had the misfortune of watching recently, wherein there's a simplistic A-plot and nothing else. And, by the by, I didn't have a problem with understanding what's going on: as has been pointed out before, just follow Jack's story, and you should be able to work out the rest from what he's up to.

12. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I really enjoyed that subplot when I was watching the film in the theaters. My head was spinning the whole time. :p

13. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Alright, I am way more behind than usual, but I just watched AWE for the second time this evening. I just bought it on DVD and I only saw it once in the theatre. I fastforwarded through the credits and found the complete ending of the movie which takes place ten years later with Elizabeth and her son (Will's son).

I am way behind because I can't believe I had never heard about this before.

14. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    the first movie is the best, hands-down. 2 and 3, I can do without even though I own the trilogy.

The only redeeming thing of 3 was that Jack was funnier. That's the ONLY redeeming thing. Otherwise, it's just a flat storyline that's confusing and you can't make heads or tails out of the plots.

yes, I HATE 2 and 3 and I think we'd be better off without them. heaven forbid if they make a fourth.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    DMC has been on HBO a bit in the last few weeks. I'll be happy when AWE also comes along. I really should just get the DVDs but I have fallen away from watching DVDs for some time.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Me too. It gave the trilogy a wheels-within-wheels-within-wheels kind of feel, while at the same time still managing to be an epic fantasy full of sea monsters , supernatural forces and cursed pirates. The combination of such disparate elements made for an interesting atmosphere.

17. XWinger

XWinger Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2001
    According to this:
    http://www.cinematical.com/2008/09/25/captain-jack-officially-returns-and-signs-on-for-tonto-too/

Captain Jack will again sail the seas on the big screen at some point....

Where do you all think they will go with this....?

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Presumably the fountain of youth hinted at at the end of AWE will be involved somehow.

19. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    The thought of Jack living forever is both awesome and horrifying. :p

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Is it a bad thing I'm feeling a bit iffy about this? [face_worried]

Part of me is really excited -- I would LOVE to see Jack's character get explored even more -- but part of me questions whether or not they will be able to pull off another PotC film. [face_thinking] Maybe now that the Will/Elizabeth arc is over (Bloom and Knightley are not returning, correct?), we can go somewhere more interesting. :p

[face_laugh]

QFT. :D

21. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Well I'm excited that there will be more POTC, but at the same time I just hope they aren't going overboard (forgive the pun.:p). As long as they come up with an original story, I think it would be ok. And I do remember hearing that Orlando Bloom never wanted to do another Pirates movie, so we probably wouldn't see him in a new one.

22. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Well that's doubly good because I don't want to see Orlando Bloom in another pirate movie so we're both happy. I think they got a little too over the top with the last one so who knows what thet're going to do now.

23. Fel_Freak228

Fel_Freak228 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2007
    A forth film would be great and horrible at the same time. Great because it'd be all Jack and no one else, horrible because I'd lose a bet with a friend.:p

24. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I had a bizarre idea for a Pirates sequel. Disney could remake "Blackbeard's Ghost" but take Blackbeard out and added Captain Jack Sparrow instead.

25. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    That would be hilarious, I LOVE Blackbeard's Ghost. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.