main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Yo, Jedi: Do You Even Train? You Sure As Hell Don't Act Like It

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CT-867-5309, Jul 27, 2015.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    (because yo is like spanish for I or something, geddit? idk i don't speak spanish)

No, this isn't about Jedi physiques. Though my money is on Glaive as Mr. Galaxy. Rambo Luke, you say? He doesn't even lift.

So, basically, the Jedi are rarely portrayed as Jedi. I can only think of a few examples where Jedi are portrayed as Jedi would/should really be.

It's so rare for Jedi to be portrayed as Jedi that people have really low expectations for Jedi behavior/responses/characterizations, to the point that they're not expected to behave any different than "normal" people with no Jedi training. Sometimes the expectations are even lower, they're below even the expectations we have for each other.

I'm going to be vague in my examples, even though you probably know what I'm talking about, because I don't want this to turn into the same old thread.

Freaking out over Force visions. They're not all Anakin Skywalker. They're not ancient Greek heroes. Ancient Greek heroes didn't have Jedi training. They're not new to Force visions. Force visions are known to be unreliable. Yet they react to them like superstitious barbarians.

Losing their **** over the death of a loved one. This is where it really hit me.

If, ahem, an experienced Jedi with decades of training can't handle the death of a loved one without going dark side crazy or just generally acting like an idiot, what makes them any different than the rest of us? What good is Jedi training, then? What's this about calm and control, and not making decisions based on fear and anger? What is all that meditation for? Seems like all that meditation and spiritual/philosophical stuff is a waste of time, it usually doesn't amount to anything. They should just spend all their time practicing their saber skills.

I see this all the time. "So and so died" or "So and so died in a Force vision." So? So that justifies any behavior? Are they not Jedi?

Forget the unreliable nature of visions. Let's pretend they're 100% accurate all the time. So somebody is going to die. So? Should they lose their **** over death after decades of training?

It's gotten to the point where an experienced Jedi Master lost his cool over a few verbal taunts about, uh, a lost loved one. Yeah. And no one batted an eye. This was totally normal. To be expected.

Is this what we've come to expect from Jedi Masters? Freaking out over lame taunts from villains? It's as if they'd be easy targets for trolls if they signed on to the Jedi Council Forums. Well, I've trolled a lot of Jedi Masters on here, but I don't think they were real Jedi Masters.

The Jedi are often portrayed as if they don't train to control themselves at all. They're "normal people" with lightsabers just reacting emotionally. Maybe this is better because it makes them more relatable or something, I don't know. I don't think so. I don't think they're supposed to be all that relatable to begin with. They're not supposed to be like us, they're not supposed to be normal. They have, you know, a code that they dedicate themselves to and stuff.

But I guess it's just easier to portray them however, and then have them spout off meaningless platitudes to show that they're totally Jedi and didn't just get their Jedi degree from a three week online course.

Uh, this is long enough, right? Yeah.

Coming soon

Portrait of a Jedi 2: Electric Judgment Boogaloo

Okay, my follow up has nothing to do with the electric judgment power, I just hate it, that's all.

Will include:

The lack of interest in actual Jedi, from fans and writers.

jedi_samuel, Havac , spicer and 14 others like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    But it still sort of feels like the same old thread when all of your examples are from a certain author (or the works under his influence) who pretty much just flat-out can't write Jedi. Which makes them sort of poorly suited to discussing what I think actually is a much broader problem.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I gave one example not from that author!

I could give more. Those are just the most obvious. But really, I can only think of a few exceptions. The vast majority of EU has this problem. The general portrayal of Jedi are just people with lightsabers and index cards with the Jedi code on it.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this thread. Maybe elaborate on my expectations for Jedi characters, which are rarely met. I guess I could go over the exceptions and point out why they shouldn't be the exception, but the rule. Or at least, more common. We could go over the bad examples and point out how far our expectations have fallen, to point how ridiculous the status quo is. Because I don't want more of those Jedi. I have no interest in the next Jedi with a goatee and an eye patch who's totally not your average Jedi (the focus is on superficial appearances rather than any character depth, because lightsaber colors are more important), because that is the average Jedi we've seen.

I could point out how it seems like most of the popular EU Jedi characters are rogue/unorthodox/gray (though it seems like some of those characters are just actual Jedi portrayed accurately), specialized, generic action heroes pretending to be Jedi, or on the edge of the dark side.

Indeed, it is a much broader problem, imo. Not sure how to go about it. I'm thinking most fans don't really see it as a problem.

4. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I think a large part of that problem stems from the over-reliance on Jedi as protagonists.
    Sure, Luke's story in the OT is interesting, fascinating and relatable, because who doesn't dream of being initiated into a society of magicians? But once the initiate has been enlightened, he/she just plays in a different league from everybody else, us as readers included -- after all, that's the whole point of it, right?
    Or, viewed from another angle but essentially the same thing: the sage is not the hero. The Enlightened are great as supporting characters (usually in the literal sense, or else as antagonists), but telling stories from their point of view is both counterintuitive for the readers (lack of identification potential, huge inferential difference in outlook, knowledge, wisdom...) and extremely hard to write for authors. Some do pull it off in a limited way (I'm thinking of Ender's Game here, or other hyper-competence-fixated stuff like HPMOR), but it's tough on both ends.

So what happens when mediocre-to-goodish authors try to write from the perspective of full-blown Jedi, is they necessarily pull them down to experience feelings and drama and react in a way that (the authors think) readers can relate to. As every creative writing person will tell you, Rule Number One is to make your protagonists relatable. You can have far-out characters in your stories, sure, but the lead, the main POV, should be someone people can identify with.
    And people are stupid.
    So there. You want to write the Further Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master? You better be damn good and ready to expect some mental work from your audience -- or you stick to what should have happened in the first place: use Master Luke as an awesomely impressive supporting character for other heroes, rather than insist on giving his POV all the time like he is still that wide-eyed audience stand-in farm boy.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Does Luke Skywalker train? Luke Skywalker trains too much and has been at the steroids if anything.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Should have used "lift" and "bro" in thread title. 4/10

spicer, JackG, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't even know what author you're talking about. I have a guess based on gender pronoun and Lit forum commentary, but I don't really know, and have not read the work or works in question. The Jedi in the post-NJO are definitely problematic, and I know this although I have not read the post-NJO.

Oh wait...this is not the Ignorance is Not an Obstacle thread. Proceeding.

The Jedi in the NJO:

Jacen pouts like a six-year-old non-Jedi on a bad day. Jaina throws Force-lightning around because she's grieving. Her non-Jedi father drinks. That's a little less violent.

The Jedi Apprentice series:

Obi-Wan can't handle being bullied in the Temple, and apparently there is a Jedi that bullies him in the Temple despite being a Jedi in training. Qui-Gon lost his **** over Tahl.

Shatterpoint:

Mace beat the living **** out of someone over anger due to what happened on his planet.

That's the bit I came up with off the top of my head and not at all comprehensive.

When I think of the ideal Jedi, I think of Yoda, Mace, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the movies. They had their moments of emotion, which makes sense as they aren't droids, but those moments did not go into a long drawn-out drama fest .

I think cthugha nailed it though. I've seen the comments about the PT-era Jedi in the movies, calling them "cold," when they aren't. I think some readers think that a character is not relatable unless the character is full-on emotional over everything. So the Jedi are the main protagonists, because lightsaber fights and mind tricks are cool, but the authors do not want to write them as having the emotional control of a fully trained Jedi because that would make them "cold" or "boring."

spicer, DelRiego, Riv_Shiel and 6 others like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not sure if I agree that Jedi are supposed to be "not relatable" and "not normal". Because the prototypical Jedi, Luke Skywalker, sure is both those things. If Jedi in stories would all be super stoic like Ki Adi Mundi and ANH Obi, we might not even get more Jedi stories because no-one would read them.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I forgot which Jedi Master lost it over being taunted over a lost loved one.

I think it makes sense for Jedi to act like normal people when they're prospective Knights, but once they become knights they should be pretty stoic. Like Obi-Wan when Satine is killed. You know he feels it as keenly as anyone else, but he doesn't let it influence his behavior.

Riv_Shiel, Kylun and Ghost like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Come to think of it Jedi are all pretty lousy at dealing with angst. Or just problems. Daily problems. And the "best Jedi" are always the worst. Look at the good old KOTOR/TOTJ days -- you've got Exar and Uliq who are amazing and emo as all get out. Sylvar's a loony. Nomi's Freakazoid. Revan and Malak are supposed to be the galaxy's celebrity heroes but they got all nutso over a map. Satele had to remind her star pupil to "be kind" in Fatal Alliance because that's... apparently the best instruction she had to offer. And he forgot anyway.

And don't get me started on Bane-era Jedi. You read Jedi vs Sith and it's like the sides don't matter. One's called Jedi and one's called Sith. And they mix up all the time. I think all Sith were Jedi or something. Kaan and Githany and Twi'lek muffin-eater.

And then PT-era I think a lot of the authors (and you Filoni -- you're not getting out of this one!) can't get out of "if we need a good antagonist, it's gotta be a Dark Sider," but since Dark Siders are rare, you've got to turn your Quinlans and Barrisses and Xanatoses and Sora Bulqs and Aurra Sings and etc etc etc so the Jedi have someone to fight. Because the PT-era Jedi Masters apparently suck at teaching so we're told. But when were they any better? That time period around 500 BBY nobody wants to write about?

I'll give Luke's Jedi a pass. He didn't know what he was doing. Actually I won't give him a pass. The crap his nephew and son pulled was inexcusable.

Yeah all Jedi suck. Traviss was right. It's all a farce.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The post NJO Jedi were genuinely terrible people.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On Fatal Alliance: maybe I'm remembering wrong, but it almost seems that the only real distinguishing factor between Shigar and Eldon Ax is that Shigar didn't try to kill his own mother.

And Eldon Ax is still cooler.

Revanfan1 and cthugha like this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    brb, stealing OP for ETE article. :p

DelRiego, Kylun, Gamiel and 1 other person like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've long maintained that Jedi are flawed because instead of mastering emotion, they repress and hide it. It's supposed to be "feel, don't think" but they don't really do that, do they? They're more "conceal, don't feel." Totally cerebral.

And for once, this isn't a PT/OT thing. Kenobi tells Luke to bury his feelings. He's right in that the Emperor will use them, but he turned Anakin because he was emotionally stunted. All these Jedi are.

Luke, on the other hand, had a normal-ish childhood. And after he left Tatooine, he was surrounded by friends and colleagues and not a league of monks.

That's my IU explanation, anyway. OOU, cthugha nailed it on the head.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd argue it is because most of the storytelling sucks.

16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    It's the superhero conundrum. Do you want your heroes to be archetypes, or to be relatable and human? Most Jedi fall into the "relatable and human" category, more like the Marvel heroes, where they're just everyday people with the same problems everyone else has and it just so happens that they also have incredible, galaxy-shaking power. If Jedi were portrayed the way they should be, if they filled their mandates narratively, they'd all be DC heroes, larger-than-life paragons with ways higher than our own, just human enough to be a character that struggles in some ways, but also inhuman enough to make it clear that they're something beyond.

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The dark never bothered Anakin anyway, which did not help. Luke, on the other hand, knew to let it go.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    iunno guys everyone liked Dark Rendezvous

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ^ Beat me to it.

20. Big Fat'Lya

Big Fat'Lya Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2013
    That book actually shows Jedi as they are theoretically supposed to be, though. Vibrant and alive, delighting in humour, seeming more like extensions or augmentations of ordinary people than either something removed from the ordinary or simply, well, ordinary. Jedi are supposed to have a natural connection to the Force, being Force-sensitives and all, and are supposedly immersed in a training regimen that hones this natural sensitivity in various constructive ways. Since the Force is life, generated by and connecting all living things, the Jedi should be alive. Yes, they control themselves and keep it under mastery, but that should make them all the more infused with that vibrancy. Channelling it, storing it, *strong* in it. Dark Rendezvous made the Jedi fun, human (for want of a more inclusive word) and engaged with the universe around and between them, which is why it's one of my favourites.

I agree that very few works really explore what a Jedi is - not "magic superhero with laser sword" or "cripplingly flawed monks destined to be blindsided by the Sith" - and even fewer know to make the Jedi compelling.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Scout is a bit mopey, but I agree with you for the most part.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    This reminds me of my thread about if the Jedi are boring. And the answer is yes.

You know who's a cool Jedi? Qui-Gon Jinn. He's stoic but still projects fatherly warmth in his scenes with the Skywalker family, and projects a degree of disobedience when dealing with the Jedi council in their ivory tower.

Shame we didn't get his side of the Plagueis novel.

23. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    For me, this is just a microcosm of the way in which all Star Wars characters are written as post-modern Americans. This effects everyone, but it's worst for the Jedi because they're basically a pre-modern religious order (Buddhist/Jain/Hindu/Christian) combined with the Medieval European and Japanese ideals of chivalry. So they combine in themselves most of the things that post-modern Americans least resemble or understand. Instead of trying to deal with this, though, most authors just take the easy way out and portray Jedi as angst-ridden, doubtful loners with a dark side--i.e. the Most Relatable Post-Modern Character Trope Ever (TM). Or else they're just Regular, Easy-going Bros (TM) who happen to have a lightsaber--which, if not particularly interesting, at least isn't going to seriously jar your reader's expectations.

I mean, sure, being a member of a religious order dedicated to the martial pursuit of justice probably isn't in the life experiences of most people--but isn't that the whole point?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We're supposed to get the sense that he was right and the Jedi were wrong, too. He's the one that spoke to the Shaman of the Whills Force Theatre-actresses to learn how to become one with the Force, after all.

And I note that my "feel, don't think" line is also from Qui-Gonn, master of the Living Force.

Who, per that excellent post on DR, was almost certainly full of life. Until his noble end.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd argue he was a master of both aspects... Ghosting was the Cosmic Force. But then he goofed and couldn't keep his physical form so there's that.

Worth noting Qui-Gon was a relativist, "the boy is dangerous," "from your point of view," and both these ideas are repeated by Obi-Wan in the OT. "Let go your conscious self and act on instinct."

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.