main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yo Joe!" G.I. Joe Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I had issues 1 through 112 of the Marvel series.

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I dunno if that was a new trailer with Trek, but it was there. Not sure about the power suits. Not sure who the leader guy was. And there was no Cobra Commander or Destro. But the action looked pretty

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I saw the same trailer in front of Trek that I've been watching around the web: green stuff eats the Eiffel Tower, dudes in power suits come to the rescue, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow clash blades, and the Baroness fires missiles at some leapin' JOEs. To my eye it looks exactly like what I would expect a GI JOE movie to look like! The reaction from the audience (and from my wife) seemed to be apathy, but I'm diggin' it.

Don't expect an emotional gut-punch like Trek has, but do expect cartoonish villains, adolescent power fantasies come to life, sci-fi dogfights in the clouds, macho patriotic posturing, camouflage fatigues, and assorted ninja badassery.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, you did see Destro in the trailer, Flare- Doctor Who there narrating the opening of the trailer is Destro without the mask (and we catch a glimpse of what I assume to be metal masks that will become the one he wears).

I also got the trailer before Trek, the reaction someone said that everyone laughed at was "I wouldn't even download that.". [face_laugh]

(I don't think the film looks that bad, but still, it was funny)

(also amusing that it aired back-to-back with Transformers 2's trailer)

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    In the theater that I was at most people did like the Joe trailer and can't wait to see the movie.

6. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    *Jingle* Go Go Power Rangers! *Jingle* o_O

So, I'm guessing that we won't be getting a Sci-Fi version of Black Hawk Down without the blood and gore then? :(

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Apparently not, but if that happens, let me know 'cause that sounds awesome!

8. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    I know, I just can?t help getting all these great ideas and images in my head! :cool:

9. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    I'm almost certain that the "green stuff" is some sort of nano-weapon. From what I can gather, the story seems loosely based on the first story in the Devil's Due series.

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    The lack of Cobra Commander in these trailers = FAIL.

11. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    don't think this is a good sign,half the audience was laughing when the GI:Joe title came on at the end of the trailer.

12. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Like I said, they should?ve made it more hardcore, like a 60?s/70?s WWII movie (no gore), but set in the near future.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    But GI JOE isn't "hardcore". It isn't a sci-fi Black Hawk Down. It's adolescent power fantasy/military superheroes in chummy camaraderie/cartoonish villains cackling over their dastardly plans to dominate the world. If you want high realism and gritty "hardcore" action, you're going to have to wait for some other film with some other title featuring some other characters than what this line of children's action figures has given us.

14. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    You've been watching too much of the cartoon. If I remember right the comic book was far less the silly baby's stuff, with CC not being akin Dick Dastardly like in the cartoon. Why does it have to be like a 2009 update of Power Rangers? Why can't they make the G.I. Joe movie more mature? After all, they did it with Conan.

15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Conan, the first film and the comics series, is based on gory, sexy pulp fiction, filled with adult-level events and imagery and written in literate prose. The Marvel color comics series of the 70s-90s made the character a bit more "kid-friendly" and stripped it of some of its more adult elements, but the B&W magazine remained uncensored and "R-rated" throughout its publication.

GI JOE is based on a line of children's action figures first released in the early 1970s and later modified and made even more colorful and fantastical beginning in the 80s. The 80s cartoon series is no one's idea of great drama, but the childish approach it takes is the one that most of us remember and associate with the name-brand. The 80s-90s comics were more intense and more mature than the cartoon show, especially under co-creator and Vietnam vet Larry Hama, but they are still adolescent power fantasies, teenaged sci-fi action-adventure serials that did not show gore or sex and featured "PG-rated" stories.

This film, which has Hama as a creative consultant, appears to be perfectly in-line with that approach.

16. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    You misunderstand. I did say they should make it like 60's & 70's WWII movies rather than Black Hawk Down because of the lack of gore and graphic violence. For example, if you watch The Longest Day compared to Band of Brothers, it's decidedly less graphic even though it's covering the very same battles. Even so it's still far from kiddie material.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I see what you mean, but you're still off-base with the Conan comparison. And even without blood squibs, shattered bone and shredded flesh, the adult-level intensity and realism of The Longest Day would be out-of-place for this franchise, which is based on children's action figures and teenage-level melodramatic sci-fi/military comics (which I love, don't get me wrong)!

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Here's a pic of Cobra Commander kicking a puppy, just because:

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/Akio666/467px-CobraCommander-150.jpg]

19. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I had no idea it was the G.I. Joe trailer at first. I didn't clue in until I saw ninjas fighting, and wondered if it might be Snake Eyes. Honestly, the whole thing just screamed "bad movie." Prior to seeing the G.I. Joe trailer, I was mildly interested - I'd heard a G.I. Joe movie was coming, and while I had no interest in the property (I've seen maybe two episodes of the show in my life, if that) I figured that it'd be decent summer blockbuster entertainment.

The trailer made me laugh, and not in a good way. At the moment, I'll only be seeing it if it gets good reviews, or if it's the only thing on, or if a bunch of friends are going to it.

20. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood really has absolutely no idea, has it? In order to make a G.I. Joe movie both comic book and at the same time not fall into the baby catagory I could see no better man for the director's job than THIS GUY! Now he does know how to do big action movies and keep the kids happy as well as the adults. As things are all I see is either a remake of Power Rangers or The A Team.

21. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    they should of used Resolute as a feature film, this film just does not interest me, despite the fact that Dennis Quad and Rachel Nichols are in it.

22. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Agreed, hands down. After seeing the trailer on the big screen, I am all the more convinced this is barely worthy of netflixing. It just looked bad. If it wasn't GI Joe, I seriously doubt anyone would give it the props they are --'cause it just doesn't appear to have it.

Whereas Resolute did a great job of both nodding to the original show and comic, yet matured it up in a big way.

The only way I'll see this in the theaters is if I get a free pass. If not, Netflix it is.

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I think the helmets in the trailer are for the Iron Genadiers--Destro's foot-soldiers, not his personal mask. Or possiblly BAT faceplates.
    As for the movie itself--I hole out more hope for it than I do for Transformers2. TF1 was awful, and the biggest, well, first mistake they made with TF2 was not making a total reboot with different director and designs. Ang Lee Incredible Hulk: Garbage. last Hulk movie: great. It can work. It should have been done.

Oh well...

24. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Everyone else can go ahead and hate this movie, based on the trailer, and refuse to see it in the theater. Meanwhile, I'll go pay my $6 for a matinee showing, and I'll let you know what I thought.

25. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    I saw the trailer I think it looks pretty cool. I might go see it as well.