main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yo Joe!" G.I. Joe Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Wizard magazine is apparently claiming that by the end of the movie Ripcord has won Scarlett's affections and Snake Eyes somehow actually approves of this. [face_frustrated]

2. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    This movie is going to be so dumb, unless you're 9 years old. Nothing, absolutely nothing about this movie looks remotely good or G.I. Joe like.

-T_S_R

3. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    That's true, but I didn't get the sense Snake Eyes approves of it. He just hasn't torn Ripcord apart yet. ;)

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I got a chance to see the finished product and just wanted to say it was better than Transformers in my opinion. There were a couple of things that bugged me plot wise and a couple corny moments but otherwise it was a good popcorn flick. Won't talk about plot points and such til it comes out so I don't spoil it for anyone.

5. Jedi Vince

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks for the input.

Stephen Sommers's official site has posted three early reviews.

http://stephensommers.com/site/?p=1136

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Naturally he is not going to post links to reviews which say his new film is utter garbage. However, at least one of the people was lambasting his earlier failures (albeit nicely). As I've said before, I will wait until I actually see it to comment. It has a chance, but it might not live up to it...

7. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Well, judging by the two latest advance reviews, it would be a great movie... if it wasn't for Marlon Wayans.

Latino Review:

Chud:

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I believe these reports about Wayans. He was also the absolute worst thing in an already horrible movie, Dungeons&Dragons. He is so godawfully unfunny in that "film" I simply cannot understand why a producer would hire him. Marlon Wayans is probably the single worst actor I've ever seen in my life. [face_talk_hand] [face_sick] :rolleyes:

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Yeah, I'm not really sure why anyone thought casting him would be a good idea, let alone as the comic relief...

10. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Cocaine's a helluva drug. [/rick_james]

11. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Yeah, just like film ads done after a movie's release always focus on the negative comments about it.

Oh, wait...

12. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Wayans provided 1 of the 2 reasons to see Dungeons&Dragons.
    Reason 1: 2 minutes of Tom Baker
    Reason 2: Watching one of the Wayans brothers being tortured to death and killed. Probablly the best scene in the movie!

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Have you seen him in Requiem For a Dream? He's quite good there.

14. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    The thing that concerns me is that, rather than the film being a Sc-Fi war film as it should be, it looks more like a big budget episode of Power Rangers. I think maybe the film makers went all PC and got too far away from the core material by making it all Matrix rather than war orientated.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Supposedly they were going for more of a James Bond vibe.

16. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    They've probably missed the mark. Especially since the Craig-era Bond is now using little to no gadgets.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    What "Matrix"? The black suits? Other than that rather generic costuming choice, what I've seen of this movie looks very much like what I imagined in my mind whilst playing with my figures in the 80s. I also don't know what you mean by "PC" in this context. What is "politically correct" about what you're seeing in this movie? It seems like a vague criticism that needs no support, just another way to bash the movie without having seen it.

As to the "James Bond vibe", Jedi_Johnson, it's the spirit of fun and adventure of the older 007 movies the filmmakers are trying to capture here, not the adult-level seriousness or realism of the Craig-era Bond.

18. Jedi Vince

Aug 2, 1999
    I read an interview with Stephen Sommers a while ago, and he said he was going for a James Bond feel. The underwater base is a direct homage to the finale of Thunderball.

The approach isn't something I would've done, but I think it works well -- especially since I love that era of Bond films.

19. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Honestly, I've seen this point brought up so many times I'm not even sure I believe it anymore. Okay, so he was supposedly good in one single, dead-serious film, but the vast majority of his career seems to have mostly consisted of playing slight variations on "Snails" over and over again, and it doesn't look like Rise of Cobra's going to be any different.

20. Jedi Vince

Aug 2, 1999
    The film was premiered for the military at Andrews Air Force Base.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-08-01-GI-joe-premiere_N.htm

Rachel Nichols is just too hot.

21. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    More's the pity.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Pity? An article about a military premiere with attendant cast members evokes pity? :confused:

23. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    No, the thought of Rachel Nichols' hotness being given up to Wayans' clumsy, aggressively unpleasant dork in this film does.

24. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh, right. Couldn't agree more, in that case. I'm excited about this movie, but the presence of Wayans is giving me reservations about its quality. We'll see in a couple of days.....

25. Jedi Vince

Aug 2, 1999
    That's too funny. I actually thought that when I was reading the novelization.