main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Joe! SF*2009 Group Costume Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by LadyoftheMandalore, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I just don't want to pull off a bad costume. I want it to be great & I don't want to look like stay puff Baroness either.

dh is going to figure out other costumes for us to do, less intense so to speak. I'm super sorry, we have never backed out of a costume before :_| I did make a body suit last night, it turned out good, just when I put it on [face_sick]

This will also free up our time to help others out, Joe, Jason, I hear you need some sewing help? dh & I will hold a sweat shop, he is also figuring that out too.

2. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I might need some help with one of my weapons...keep me posted on the sweatshop?

3. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Ditto!!! :)

4. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. The hardware was actually the easy part. The hard part (for me) is the soft goods. I have to hit the surplus store one more time to get all the rest of the items that's not the red quilty stuff.

5. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    As soon as dh takes care of getting all our cat stuff out of the house today he is going to work on finding me a costume that is less intense and then I will know how much free time I might have.

He will also figure out a sweatshop time & we can do guns as well as sew & get things done.

6. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    You guys did just get married. I think you can be forgiven. [face_mischief]

7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002

I just went through the posts. if i missed something or screwed something up let me know to fix the list

8. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
  9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks to a kick in the arse by Zoo, I have ordered an Airsoft rifle and goggles. I've already got the boots, gloves, and knit cap, and I should be able to pick up the gray BDUs from a local surplus store. Just hope they're not too expensive. :p

10. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    Anyone who doesn't want to do a costume could just get a t-shirt and iron on a cobra or gi joe logo...

I think it would be funny if I could find a maternity shirt and do a gi-joe on the chest and a cobra on the belly....or maybe it's the coffee talking. ;)

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
  12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Try the surplus outlet store...i am getting my pants there for $20.

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Where is that?

14. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    On Broadway at Hampden

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Awesome.

16. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Note to self: make trip to Broadway and Hampden.

I still have just pants. Oh, and boots.

Here's the thing: I've now seen GI Jane in about 4 different comics, an action figure, and a couple of miscellaneous bits of art. She's wearing something different in every single image. (My favorite is the comic where she has a white labcoat and a dress slit up to her hip.) So, my motivation for accuracy is perhaps not very high. Is this a bad thing, or should I just not worry?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple belt and gun holster? And just what exactly is it she's wearing over her shoulders?

17. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    As long as you shave your head like Demi Moore, I wouldn't worry too much about the rest. ;)

:p

18. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Doni - you might be better off heading over to Arvada Army/Navy. Much closer than downtown Englewood.

19. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    Same here please!:D

If I can still costume as firefly (I'll know by Fri/Sat but looking better now) I'll need help sewing on the cobra sleeve patch. Also, I need to figure out how to attach a simple wire stock to this and make the magazine longer. Any suggestions?

One more also, I can't figure out how to dye nylon so this matches these.
    Any suggestions here, or should I just make Firefly all Urban camo as opposed to subdued urban camo? I'd still look like Firefly, but more like later appearances and less like the '84 figure.[face_thinking] [face_worried] :-B

20. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Ah, but Zoo, I know where Broadway and Hampden are without looking! Is that one on Federal and 36 still open?

21. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    In my experience dying nylon or anything that is not 100% natural is hard to do. We can try but the dye needs to be very warm to hot to work best & then it could/would shrink and that my be the only thing that happens to it.

We can try acrylic paint, shoe polish or something like that? But we can at least get the white to a darker color.

22. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Nylon needs to be dyed at very high temperatures with an acid dye I believe (I'll have to look it up in my text, but off the top of my head I believe that's correct). When I was making a bunch of Air Wolf costumes I actually had to hire someone to do it for me because we didn't have the equipment to do so. The only problem was the vats were too small and the material was permanently wrinkled because of it. :(

I would recommend silk paints. Those dry flexible at least and sit on top of the fabric... try dharmatrading.com for that.

23. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Not sure if the one up north is still open...i KNOW that the one south is. I JUST went there last week. I found a t-shirt. I am going to make my own iron-on.

I have the gloves at home somewhere...belt is on the table from parade still. Saturday is my getting stuff in order day...going to do some looking around at thrift for a backpack.

24. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    I found my boots=) I was freaking out cause I couldn't find them at either of the apartments and didn't know what I had done with them. Total stressing! Then when we where moving stuff around at my apartment I found them, yay!

25. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    =D= i know that feeling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.