main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Joe! SF*2009 Group Costume Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by LadyoftheMandalore, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    I want it!:D jk

Uzi order already placed. That's what I get for procrastinating.

I've tried looking in the Starfest rules but I can't seem to find anything on this...is the blaze orange barrel tip that usually accompanies toy/airsoft weapons required for costumes? Also, what about grenades? My dummy grenades have the blue and brown spoons on them to show that they aren't live-does that have to stay or can they be painted to look like genuine Cobra issue?

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You just need to stop by the peace bonding table (usually the 501st does this) and get your weapons inspected (tagged) by them

3. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    just got my wig!! found it on ebay for less than $20 bucks! it was 18..and paypal suckered me in by asking if i wanted to donate a dollar to feline charity...i said yes of course. meow >^..^< they are shipping it today. [face_dancing]

getting pants on the way home.

4. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Totally understand, different story bleaching hair!

5. kurtweinreich

kurtweinreich Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2006
    The orange tip isn't necessarily required by Starfest, but is much easier for law enforcement to check you. I know the Stargate people color theirs black. The main thing is to get those checked and tagged at the 501st Weapons Check table. That is what the cops will look for first. If you color it, I would strongly suggest that you do not carry it outside the hotel exposed.

6. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks, guys! Just kinda curious what the group does in general. Especially with this being an airsoft and not a blaster or phaser. Any ideas on grenade painting? I can't find anything in federal, state or local law like toy/airsoft guns but either way, not planning on taking them off the bandolier anyway. Just want to look the part as much as I can.

Man, I hope my Uzi shows up in time[face_worried]

7. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    NEEDED: (if you have it around) I am trying to watch the pennies. :)

8. Black Knee Pads

9. Hand Radio

10. Revolver or Handgun of some sort

11. Thanks :)

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    So I still need to go buy my wig, fortunately I know where to get a good deal here in town. I need to find my brother's air soft hand gun... I'll have to go shotgun-less and I doubt they'd let me bring a real one. And I still need to figure out how to make those stupid Spaulders... the rest is done though :D

13. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    I can't wait to see everyone all dolled up for this...

I think I'm done. After all that dithering, I went with this image over the others because, well, a white T shirt was dead easy to find. Khaki pants, boots, belt with pouch and holster, and pistol. And, well, that's it. I'm feeling a bit guilty because this is so simple. On the other hand, this was simple enough that I could actually put it together. :)

I hope it looks okay...

I am bummed, though, because I had this awesome 9mm looking pistol I made by spray painting a water gun, and I can't find it. I did find a cap gun that looks okay that I'll be using instead. But I really liked that other one...

14. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    [image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31SVkeyUh%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg]

Dunno if this helps but they have these at Wally World. Can't remember how much but cheap, though. A little chop here and a little paint there might give you a sawed-off.

15. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    I don't know why, but finding out that G.I. Jane is an 'undercover' physicist posing as a nurse is cracking me up....maybe I'm giddy from all the sugar and eggs I ate today....

16. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    How's this?

[image=http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/PtrsonsZOO/YoJOE/IMG_0226.jpg]

I need to get Grimby's jacket from him to finish the shoulder pad, and some elastic to attach the knee pad covers, but then my work will be done... Well, there is one more thing to do. [face_skull]

17. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000

If I've got time this week I'll head over there and check out Wally world near my house.

18. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    That looks awesome, Zoo! Just like the figure. Can't wait to see everybody's costumes!

You're welcome, JGOC:D

More movie related than costume but...
    G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra Flash drive. I want one of these! Toyfaire '09 press exclusive, though.

19. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    It cracks me up, too. Why does the GI Joe team need a physicist? I guess they have one of everything, so why not?

20. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    Perhaps it's her job to calculate the optimal placement and types of explosives and 'crack' the High tech cobra equipment... as well as predict where the debris will fall... [face_thinking]

21. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I can't wait to wear mine too!!! I'm going for this Scarlett, you know me, I have to be different, but I don't think any of you want to see me in tights :p

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff64/darthhair/yo%20joe/

Can't ever get the links to work :(

Cyodarun is doing my holsters & belt, dh is doing my armor. It's going to be out of ABS but that is the way we make armor right?

Sometimes the vest armor stuff looks like a vest or leather, sometimes it looks like a leotard on top of a shirt. I wish comic books were more uniform, but at the same time it gives you freedom to do whatever you feel like.

So far my gloves & boots match pretty good. Still need to figure out when & how I'm going to dye my hair?

So when are we wearing these? Would I look like a crackpot wearing GI Joe at our table? I think this costume might be worthy of a costume contest? 3 weeks to pull all of this off, I'm impressed by dh's talents :D And Cyodarun :*

22. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    SC, that last one is from a different series (the new reboot) but they all look like armor/leather to me. Oldschool was a leotard on top of a leotard, like the pic you found with the shiny wig....

As for GI Jane, in the comic, at least, she was a former army nurse who went back to school after her service and became a physicist. The Joes needed her help for something, along with the original GI Joe, but I can't remember what.

23. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Thanks for the info. I do know they are two differnt versions of Scarlett and at first I thought I was going to be a mix match of the two, but now that the costume is progressing, I will be more like the America's Elite style. [edit] minus these details(dh made me the belt buckle from the 'new reboot Scarlett and I'm wearing army pants)

Most boards I read says the if you have the tan outer portion w/ red hair & red shoulder bell w/ a star everyone should know your Scarlett. So we will soon see.

I do feel bad that I'm not in the same 'era' as everyone else, but as I've stated before.......

24. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I do believe LotM is going with your era too. And Grimby's is an amalgam of the various Low-Lights, so you'll be just fine.

25. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Mine is based off of this (took out pain in the bum link)

ouch that link sucks...

try this too.

26. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Uhm, all your links go to the same page & has a million pop ups????

27. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I just clicked on it and got zero popups...try again?

28. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
  29. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.