main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo....Where's the Sith Theme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by the_sky-walker, Jun 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_sky-walker

the_sky-walker Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    Let me just say one thing before I ask this question. I am NOT nitpicking, nor am I even really annoyed about this...

I was just wondering about the strange absence of the chilling Sith theme from Episode I and why it wasn't reprised at all for Episode II. Now I know that perhaps too much of the score from Episode I WAS used for Episode II...but that music was not a musical THEME that represented something. The theme I am referring to was assigned to the Sith/"evilness" and like the Force them, I thought it should be used accordingly.

I still say one of the freakiest pieces of music in any Star Wars film was the music leading up to the moment Qui Gon was stabbed. You gotta love how the chanting moves from speaker to speaker and the combination between the dueling, facial expressions, and clash of the lightsabers made for one really freaky moment.

Shame it wasn't in Episode II, hopefully reprised for Episode III....any answers, comments, questions?

"Chora....Rah Ta Mah" (I know that's not how it is spelled ;))

2. Mad_Ewok

Mad_Ewok Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2002
    If you're talking about Duel of the Fates, then it's in AOTC when Anakin is riding the swoop bike to find Shmi. It's not really the "Sith Theme." Palpatine is a Sith and he has his own theme, and Vader has the Imperial March. Even Darth Maul had his own little motif of sorts.

3. Darth Zaraben

Darth Zaraben Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2000
    Yeah, I think the quiet chanting might actually be just kind of a Darth Maul theme. It was only really played about one time when he wasn't on screen, and that could've been just because they needed something evil sounding.

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, that's "Duel of the Fates". :)

The closest thing to a "Sith Theme" we have in Star Wars is Palpatine's Theme. :)

5. the_sky-walker

May 27, 2002
    Trust me...I am 100% not talking about Duel of the Fates and know that it is reprised in Episode II; believe me if there is one musical theme that even the most nonchalant Star Wars fan knows, it is Duel of the Fates.

The theme I am talking about occurs numerous times throughout TPM's score. For instance the chanting appears at the opening scene with the Viceroy contacting Darth Sidious and occurring many other moments in the film when either Maul or Sidious is present.

(Between I am also not referring to Duel of the Fates for when Qui Gon gets stabbed either. For there is a distinct difference of the two themes.)

6. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Uh...I thought there was a Sith Theme(?)...

Am I mistaken, or is it the theme heard when Anakin tells Padmé that he slaughtered all of the Tuskens?

I always thought that was the Sith Theme...

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Ah! I get it! terr, you and the_sky-walker are talking about the same theme!

That is "Palpatine's Theme". It was created for use in ROTJ and has been used in TPM and AOTC as well. :)

Sorry, no "Sith Theme". :)

8. Darth Zaraben

Darth Zaraben Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2000
    No, the_sky-walker is talking about that quiet evil chanting that happens during the bad guy scenes in TPM. It's in every Darth Maul scene and also in the very beginning of the movie when the scene changes from Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the table to Darth Sidious and Nute Gunray on the bridge.

Now do you understand?

I happen to think that it's just a Darth Maul theme, but whatever.

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Oooooooooooooooh, that! Sorry about the confusion on my part! [face_blush]

I think it's just a random cue that appears a few times.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So to be clear.... we are talking about the choir whispering in Sanskrit? That does not really qualify as a theme I don't think. It's more an accent for the Sith's activities.

11. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    No I also considered that Sanskrit whispering thing that we hear before Maul kills Qui-Gon to be Maul's 'theme' of sorts.

We hear it earlier when he gets onto his speeder on Tatooine and makes his way over to Qui-Gon to fight.

But the true Sith theme is that of the Emperor, truly a great theme. Used at its best, I think, in 'Emperor's Throne Room' in ROTJ.

12. Emperor_Kefka

Emperor_Kefka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    anyways, The Emperor's theme IS used in AOTC. It's played when Anakin talks about his killing of the Tuskens, and when Dooku is flying over that abandoned industrial part of Coruscant. Also, at the beginning of "Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale", that choir singing is a high-pitched, sped up version of the Emperor's theme. Furthermore, in Episode I, the parade theme at the end is The Emperor's theme in a major key.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "The Emperor's theme IS used in AOTC. It's played when Anakin talks about his killing of the Tuskens."

Yup, isn't it purely AWESOME there? I love it. :D

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But as the whispering Sanskrit thing is also used several times for Darth Sidious, I don't see how it can be Maul's theme. Sorry. It's a flourish to decorate the Emperor's theme.

15. dsk2

dsk2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2001
    it's also used when Anakin writhes in pain after being electrocuted by Dooku.

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Palpatine's theme is used in all of the movies except for ANH.

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    It wasn't used in TESB either. :)

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nope it was written new for ROTJ.

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Right. It was written for ROTJ and has been used in the following movies:

-TPM
    -AOTC
    -ROTJ

20. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Yeah and man was it amazing during the Tusken confession scene. Totally unexpected too. He turns round and he says 'I killed them...' and it's there. Wow.

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Man, I'm going to see AOTC again in a few short hours and you're just whetting my appetite. :D I love that scene. :D

22. the_sky-walker

May 27, 2002
    Perhaps I was mistaken about the aforementioned theme being that of the Sith. I just always assumed it was ;) cause I kind of liked that whole 'motif'.

As for the Emperor's theme....as stupid as it sounds, it is my favorite theme of all the Star Wars movies. It just captures the whole essence of the Emperor/Dark Side perfectly. It is almost Satanic like with the chorus and all, which to me only further emphasizes how evil the man/dark side, truly is. I still remember to this day watching TPM in the movie theater for the first time, and getting very excited about the emperors theme present in the opening scene. After that....the movie WAS a Star Wars movie...no matter what any one says :p :)

23. Professor_Hawking

Professor_Hawking Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2000
    Have you noticed - the music for the celebration in the last scene of TPM (the CD calls it Augie's Great Municipal Band) is simply the Emperor's theme, except in a major key rather than a minor one. And it's sung by children. The SUPREME IRONY of it all is simply amazing.

I agree with the Sky_walker. The Emperor theme is simply the best one in the entire series... it is just unspeakably evil, creepy and yet strangely enjoyable to listen to. You don't know the power of the Dark Side... mwahahahaha!

*cough*

:D

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hawking, yah, that's common knowledge around here but it's great that you picked it out yourself! :)

25. Professor_Hawking

Professor_Hawking Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2000
    OK, so I haven't visited the forums in a while - trying to avoid EP2 spoilers y'see! So if I seem a bit dumb sometimes - sorry!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.