main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda and Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SithLord-Will, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Now, I know there are hundreds of theories with the Obi Yoda Qui-Gon debate. But I think I have the proof that we need to shut the PT haters up about this.

Obi doesn't tell Luke Yoda trained him...

"You will go to Dagobah, and seek Youda, the Jedi master whi INSTRUCTED me"

Yoda didn't TRAIN him, but he sure as hell instrcted his @$$ after Qui-Gon died!

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Yoda instructed Obi-Wan when he was a youngling, just like all the other younglings.

3. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    But Yoda was a source of guidance for Obi-Wan in AOTC so it can be construed many ways, it isn't a plot hole IMO.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Star Wars Insider #65

Neither is wrong; these facts are not mutually exclusive. Obi-Wan was trained by both Yoda and Qui-Gon Jinn. As seen in Attack of the Clones, Yoda trains all the Jedi during their very young years, as part of "clans" like the Bear Clan seen in Episode II. When they're old enough, the Jedi children are paired up with a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master to begin their one-on-one training as a Padawan learner.

Try looking here or here (locked).

:)

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's amazing how many people can't make the simple leap of logic to understand that both Qui-Gon and Yoda trained Obi-Wan.

6. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    It's amazing how many people can't make the simple leap of logic to understand that both Qui-Gon and Yoda trained Obi-Wan.

Yeah, it makes me wonder exactly how many people only had one single teacher throughout the years they spent in school.

<sigh>

7. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    Besides, Qui-gon-Jinn's name would be of no significance to Luke, and he's dead anyway.

8. undergroundrar

undergroundrar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    "You must go to the Dagobah system."
    "Dagobah system?"
    "There you will learn from Yoda, the other Jedi Master that instructed me. Yes, I was also instructed by Qui-Gon Jinn, but as you might have gathered he's already dead an-"

*Luke dies from hypothermia*

9. XxRenzokukenxX

XxRenzokukenxX Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    Obi-Wan was a knight he didn't need to learn anything more - what he meant by INSTRUCTED was that Yoda INSTRUCTED him to train Luke.

But, by the way he says it...it could be that Yoda did teach him a bit after QG croaked.

"...the Jedi master who instructed ME."

Implying that he instructed me just as I have instructed you.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Obi-Wan was once a youngling too. Until he was 3 weeks away from his 13th birthday, he was taught by Yoda and the rest of the Council.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    In fact, Obi-Wan quotes Yoda's advice to Qui-Gon at the beginning of TPM. I still don't understand why that didn't put the debate to rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.