main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda and Order 66

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Alpha-Red, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Instead of Yoda easily killing the clones, what if it were the other way around? Yoda about to get killed by clones, but survives due to timely intervention by Wookies.

Anyway, I guess I just didn't like the whole Yoda-is-super-perceptive thing, and I think it would've been much more interesting if the Grand Master of the Jedi Order survives due to chance rather than skill.

2. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    There's a good reason why Yoda is one of the only 2 Jedi Masters left after Order 66. I'd rather it not be by chance.

3. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    The movie shows Yoda sensing what's happened to the other Jedi before he is attacked himself. So it's only logical that he will expect an attempt on his life as well.
    And Yoda is the most powerful Jedi to ever have lived after all.

4. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    He kind of did survive by chance. The Clones on Kashyyyk just happened to get the transmission moments after many other Jedi had died. He knew something was wrong, and acted. If Yoda had gotten killed first, Ki-Adi or Aayla might have survived if they felt a disturbance in the Force.

5. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

Probably true. Yoda knew things were going to go downhill pretty quickly when he felt Mace Windu's death. Something tells me Yoda didn't assume Mace crashed his speeder on the way to arrest the Dark Lord of the Sith

6. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Yoda sensed the deaths of Mace Windu and the other Jedi around the galaxy, and knew that something was wrong. On Kashyyyk, after the clones had recieved Order 66, Yoda sensed them approaching with their guns drawn and put two and two together and thus acted.

7. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    He did still need the help of the Wookiees. If Chewbacca and Tarfful hadn't taken him to one of the hidden escape pods he would have been stuck on Kashyyyk with two armies that wanted him dead. Aayla, Ki-Adi, and others were not only taken by surprise but also overwhelmed by numbers. I'm confident Yoda would have fared better against a large group of clones than they did, but it did still help that there were only two that attacked him initially. And I'm not sure even he could have destroyed two armies single-handedly.

8. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    I was hoping after sensing all the bad stuff happening around the galaxy about order 66 that Yoda could somehow through the force meditate real hard and reverse the order for a while, like tapping into the clones brains for a short time. Driving them insane and confusing them for a bit. Maybe even making the clones want to kill Sidious untill he overrides Yoda's attempt at force mind control. Would of show how powerfull yoda really is to do that... then shows that Sidious is even more powerfull to stop it and keep order 66 in his favor.

9. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    He kind of did survive by chance. The Clones on Kashyyyk just happened to get the transmission moments after many other Jedi had died. He knew something was wrong, and acted. If Yoda had gotten killed first, Ki-Adi or Aayla might have survived if they felt a disturbance in the Force.

Yep, and he was also lucky that there werent more clonetroopers around him, like the other Jedi had.

10. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    In the original script, the Wookies fought the clones to protect Yoda. I wish we'd seen that. But I have not problem with Yoda sensing the clones coming.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Sure he's good, but the scene makes it seem like he's light-years ahead of all the other Jedi. It's true that he's over 900 years old, but Mace Windu and Count Dooku haven't lived that long and they're almost on par with Yoda. Ki-Adi Mundi and the others had to have been pretty close behind them as well, so why is it that everyone else gets a tragic death while Yoda escapes with barely a scratch?

Now if Yoda got shot up badly while fighting the clones and had to be put into a bacta tank, it might've put more weight into the scene.

12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Yoda was always more attuned than the other Jedi. This can be seen in AOTC where he feels Anakin's pain, and his "second in command", Mace Windu, does not. Yoda is also the one that senses the presence of Qui Gon through the Force, and by the close of ROTS, verbalises that ability and promises to teach it to Obi Wan. Why shouldn't he triumph of his own volition here?

I sense this entire thread, especially in light of your most recent post (bacta tank?!), was created in jest. But there is my serious answer.

13. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    You think?[face_laugh] I always reckoned Yoda saw Windu as a really bad driver:p

What amazes me is that there were so few clones around Yoda. It would make more sense had there been 10 or so - and then you could even get some help from the wookies. Although, Yoda would handle those as well I think... We can't have Yoda surviving by chance, there's enough discussion on OBW on that matter already...

14. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I often wondered about the wisdom of Palpatine by NOT making sure Yoda was the first one killed. Yoda is strong enough to hear the tremor in the force of hundreds of jedi dying. I got to thinking....if Yoda WAS killed first would his death create a big enough disturbance that all the other Jedi would have felt? Would the other Jedi have been more likely to survive?

That said, I can't believe Commander Gree or whomsever it was was stupid enough to try to take Yoda with one other soldier. Even among the Clones they must know that Yoda is the "uber-Jedi" and would take proper precautions.

Having Yoda cut the heads off as he did (Which I thought was awesome) and have Wookies subsequently helping him blast through 20 or so clones would have been neat, albeit not necessary.

Carnage

15. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Interesting question. And they might have felt it. And then again, you have Sideous' arrogance - he thought Yoda was dead! What about his senses?

It wouldn't be necessary to show a prolonged Yoda fighting clones. He does it outside the temple - there would have to be MANY clones should they get the best of him I think.

16. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I assumed that Obi-Wan was targeted first because of his importance to Anakin. I don't know if there was any logic behind the order of Order 66's execution on Palpatine's part beyond that or not, though it would make sense to me to have Yoda be second. Personally I doubt Yoda's death would be sensed by all the others because they didn't sense Anakin's fall to the dark side (death, from a certain point of view) the way Yoda did (I interpret the scene where Yoda is very distraught as him feeling Mace's death and Anakin's turn), and since Anakin had more midichlorians than Yoda I don't think they'd sense Yoda's death, either. Yoda is more in tune with the Force than most Jedi, which would explain why he sensed Mace and Anakin's fate when the other Jedi did not. We see Obi-Wan's strength in the Force growing so that by the time of Episode IV he is able to become one with it as well as sense the destruction of Alderaan.

EDIT: Edited for spelling.

17. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    That said, I can't believe Commander Gree or whomsever it was was stupid enough to try to take Yoda with one other soldier. Even among the Clones they must know that Yoda is the "uber-Jedi" and would take proper precautions.

Yep. Or that Palps didnt tell the commander to send a whole regiment after Yoda.

18. darth_barkus

darth_barkus Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2006
    well the thing was that yoda could fell the other jedi being attacked so that he knew that the clone would turn on him so as soon as he felt them coming behind him it was only fitting that he killed them ASAP.

if they gave the order out to the clones where yoda was then they may have killed him but as they attacked the jedi temple and other systems first yoda felt them. this gave him the advantage over the clones .

19. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    ...Cause he's Yoda?

Now don't get me wrong, I love Ki Adi, and Plo Koon, they rock. But Yoda is Yoda, he had a fan following when he was a greeb MUPPET back in the 70s. He is reveared as the most POWERFUL to be ironic to his size. He is the greatest, throughout the entirety of the Prequals we are shown how powerful Yoda is, then he couldn't beat Sidious.

20. OBIJUAN76

OBIJUAN76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    I agree with everything you said Sith Lord. Yoda was by far the greatest. I thought the scene in which the clones try and kill him by simply sneaking up behind him was somewhat hilarious. Because obviously they didn't know who they were messing with![face_shame_on_you] However, I have to disagree with your synopsis of Yoda's encounter with Sids. I look at it this way: Sids lost to Yoda as well too, he (Sids) was unable to destroy Yoda because of Yoda's power. I happen to think that Yoda actually came out of the duel with Sids looking better. That's a topic for a different thread though.. "MUPPET"! [face_laugh] that's a good one!

21. Darth_Lear

Darth_Lear Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    What would happen if you went into a chinese restaurant and asked for order 66?

Tough one, eh? :confused:

DL

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Gree had assumed that Yoda would be easy pickings, especially since he appeared to be distracted at the moment.

23. SithLord-Will

Mar 2, 2002

I never said he lost, said he didn't beat him. It was just part of my point. We see how powerful Yoda is, and then Sidious turns out to be just as powerful.

I'm really suprised at the sentiment that Yoda should have had to go through a real battle to get free. Every time I saw Ep III in theaters (all 5 times) every single person cheered out when Yoda bitchslapped the troopers. Literally! Every time. The 5th showing I went to, the people cheered as loud as the first.

People LOVED that scene.

24. OBIJUAN76

OBIJUAN76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006

"I never said he lost, said he didn't beat him. It was just part of my point. We see how powerful Yoda is, and then Sidious turns out to be just as powerful.

I'm really suprised at the sentiment that Yoda should have had to go through a real battle to get free. Every time I saw Ep III in theaters (all 5 times) every single person cheered out when Yoda bitchslapped the troopers. Literally! Every time. The 5th showing I went to, the people cheered as loud as the first.

People LOVED that scene."

Agreed Sith Lord. I agreed with everything you said. I understand your point. I just get so frustrated when people just say "Yoda lost". That doesn't make sense to me. In my mind the whole duel was a draw. But that's a topic for another thread.
    You're right about Yoda's little "b****slap" being a big hit in the theatre. I went and saw the movie opening night, and when he did it the entire theatre erupted. I have to say though that in conjunction with that scene on Kashyyyk there was an even bigger eruption when Yoda walked into visit Sids and knocked the red-coated Imperial Guards up against the wall. Each time I saw the film in the theatre (twice) the audience just went crazy when he did that! Every one was yelling "Holy Crap" and words to that effect.

25. SithLord-Will

Mar 2, 2002
    Actually... In the scene where Yoda walks in, and bounces the Red Guard's skulls against the wall when confronting Sidious, it always got a huge laugh when I saw it. The scene where Yoda decapitates the clones is cool, and powerful. But when he disposes of the gaurds? Thats just freakin hilarious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.