main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda and Palpy shouldn't have had Lightsabers!!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by echo_seven, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo_seven

echo_seven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Call me crazy, but with growing up with the OT, I always had the impression that both the Emperor and Yoda represented the 2 extreme sides of the force. Each were powerful, but the Emperor used decite, and manipulation, wheras Yoda used Knowledge and Wisdom.

I always thought that both Yoda and the Emperor were so powerful in their ways that they were above ALL wepons, even if they were a more elegant weapon and weren't as clumsy or random as a blaster.

I am very dissapointed that both Yoda and Palpatine used lightsabers because my whole impression is shattered. The fact that they used lightsabers takes away their "mistique".

Am I the only one who feels this way?

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Probably not, but there's nothing you can do about it. Star Wars is what it is.

Blue lightsabers are awesome
    /LM

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    They may both be arrogant as hell, but they're not that arrogant. I always thoght that they would have lightsabers. Maybe not the Emperor circa ROTJ as he has Vader and Stormtroopers to keep him safe. I always expected Yoda to have one. It being the symbol of the Jedi and all.

4. Iownsoup

Iownsoup Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Hucking those senatorial discs at each other was pretty impressive. Honestly though, what could Yoda have done? Just imagine if Yoda tried to force-chocke Palpatine. It would be awful. Yoda uses the force for defense and knowledge, never for attack (his words). You can't defend someone to death, and Sidious had to die.

5. minastirith

minastirith Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    Yoda had to have a weapon. How could he train the younglings in Episode II(who have lightsabers) if he didn't have/use one?

Besides, it showed us a different side to Yoda. And Palpatine using a lightsaber is so utterly cool that it was worth it.

6. thejazzman

thejazzman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    Force push and all the other powers are distance style weapons.

See what happens when they are up and close. When Dooku goes to the saber. For him its because he stands a better chance in a close in fight.

That's why the emperor prefers to use the distance weapon. He is less vulnerable. Yoda can wield just as strong as the emperor but, knows it is a tougher battle and wants to go to the saber. He'd whoop is ass that way. Oh, and yoda knows he can't just can go in for the kill quickly. He does not underestimate the powers of the emperor. So, like AOC he was waiting for the right opportunity.

7. Sweetcurse

Sweetcurse Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2004
    Call me crazy, but with growing up with the OT, I always had the impression that both the Emperor and Yoda represented the 2 extreme sides of the force. Each were powerful, but the Emperor used decite, and manipulation, wheras Yoda used Knowledge and Wisdom.

I always thought that both Yoda and the Emperor were so powerful in their ways that they were above ALL wepons, even if they were a more elegant weapon and weren't as clumsy or random as a blaster.

I am very dissapointed that both Yoda and Palpatine used lightsabers because my whole impression is shattered. The fact that they used lightsabers takes away their "mistique".

Exactly the reason people "feel dissapointed" with the PT. It all has to do with false expectations and personal constructions of what SW SHOULD be.

People, WE DID NOT KNOW THE STORY OF SW completely. Over the years we made up things in our minds and when they are different we hate the PT and Lucas irrationally. The only person responsible for such dissapointment is yourself for having false misconceptions and for the arrogance to think you know better than Lucas what SW should be.

As for the topic at hand, I disagree. There is no reason why in the PT these two shouldn't have lightsabers and be proficent with them. They are trained in Jedi arts and train others. Hence, they MUST be good at fighting too. Simple, logical and elegant. Live with it, SW is not what YOU want it to be but what Lucas comes up with, and honestly, I prefer his vision than any other concerning SW.

8. thejazzman

thejazzman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    Well I agree that some of our failings are the expectations we have built up in our head.

Yet, it must be understood that Lucas does deerve some critcism when comes to charcter developement and plot advancement. He does a lot of this in a clumsy manner at lacks some logic.

Sure manipulate the battles as you want them to be. Yoda using a saber does make sense. Yoda being able to do all that has been picture makes sense. We know he is a Jedi, hence capable of fighting. So make him fight how you like I accept that as whatever Lucas decideds chooses to handle.

Fail to devlope a character and fail for me to connect with him. That has some to do with me as viewer but more of the Film Makers inability to connect with me and in Lucas's view an unwillingness to even care.

9. Sweetcurse

Sweetcurse Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2004
    Fail to devlope a character and fail for me to connect with him. That has some to do with me as viewer but more of the Film Makers inability to connect with me and in Lucas's view an unwillingness to even care.

Failure to connect and care? Excuse me friend but if there is one thing Lucas did well with SW is connect and care, 30 years of work prove otherwise. Maybe some things do not connect with you, but to me they connect nicely and profoundly. Please do not generalize YOUR feelings or attempt to say that everyone feels the same way you do. I don't, so what, I'm wrong and you are right? Or viceversa? I don't think so. It really is all in our heads if a character connects or not.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Did you expect them to go Dbz style throwing energy attacks back and forth and it other and flying around?

11. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    yeah it would have been cool to see them fight through force powers

12. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004

GL connected with me.

Yet, it must be understood that Lucas does deerve some critcism when comes to charcter developement and plot advancement. He does a lot of this in a clumsy manner at lacks some logic.

Sigh, another rehashed comment. People have been saying the same thing since 1977 but Star Wars is one of the biggest movie franchise's in history. Hmm I wonder why that is,,,

13. Mace_Winfield

Mace_Winfield Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I wouldn't call Lightsabers just "another" weapon.

Your skill with a lightsaber reflects your understanding of the force.

Someone who is not trained in the ways of the Jedi or the Sith cannot use light sabers, and besides a blaster is NO match for the elegant lightsaber.

14. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Remember, before the PT, in lots of EU books they had Luke thinking and wondering why Yoda never fought the Emperor (though remember Luke didnt know) because he certainly seemed strong enough

15. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    Palpatines went flying out the window with Mace. So I guess he really shouldnt have had a lightsaber when Yoda came in to fight.

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I was always under the same impression, mostly since we hadn't seen Yoda or the Emperor with a lightsaber in the OT. It does make sense though. I mean, Yoda can lift an X-Wing, why can't he floor someone who wants to harm him with a sword? I had assumed that they were like the old masters who had moved beyond the sword (the ultimate technique, mutodori!) Needless to say, I wasn't crazy about CG Yoda jumping around with a lightsaber, but I was very surprised about Sidious. I really enjoyed that scene, and it looked great, especially his aggressive offense (when outnumbered, attack!) It's kind of cool knowing that he was packing that lightsaber around all this time, ready to fend off anyone who found out about him.

17. Runecrow

Runecrow Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2005
    I am very dissapointed that both Yoda and Palpatine used lightsabers because my whole impression is shattered.

Get used to having your impressions shattered on a fairly regular basis in life.

Anyway, no, I think they should've had lightsabers. A lightsaber is "the weapon of a Jedi". Yoda was a Jedi.

Same with Palps.

Look at Gandalf. Dude was an Istari- but he stilled carried around a sword. Sometimes you just need to hack someone to get your point across.

18. IVAN_JEDI-MASTER

IVAN_JEDI-MASTER Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I`VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE YODA THE JEDI MASTER,THE GREATEST ONE,TO FIGHT WITH A LIGHTSABER AND WHEN I FIRST SAW IT IN EPISODE II I WAS FASCINATED WITH THAT SHOW SO I`M VERY PLEASED THAT YODA FOUGHT WITH A LIGHTSABER....GO YODA!!MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!

19. Bruk

Bruk Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Does anyone know a good place to find information on star wars history, if so please send the sites to artichoke.miller@gmail.com.

Thank you.

20. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    "It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber."

'Nuff said.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    WLDB, I think either the novel or the visual dictionary explained that Palpatine had built two lightsabers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.