main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda and the Dark Jedi on Degobah...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sithmonkey75, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithmonkey75

sithmonkey75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2004
    i thought i read that the cave on degobah was created when yoda defated an old dark jedi with white hair that was sent by the emporer to hunt yoda. who was he? C'boath? Dooku? puzzling...and will it be in episode 3? i doubt it, but still a relevant question. oh, and i hope i'm not repeating a topic...

2. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Doubt it will be in episode 3. Isn't this a EU created event and not something that came from Lucas? Also wouldn't it have already have happen years before events during the TPM?

3. Mark_Maul

Mark_Maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2001
    Despite their infinities label, Star Wars Tales offers a really good explanation. Basically, the conflict took place hundreds of years ago, when Yoda was a padawan himself. He was the lone survivor of a battle with a dark Jedi, and tracked the offender to Dagobah for a final showdown. It's probably the only explanation we'll ever get as to why Yoda chose Dagobah as a hiding place. It also explains that "Minch" was his padawan nickname.

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    as exciting as the Minch story in tales was (and non-continuity), there is also the more recent showdown between Yoda and the Bpfasshi Dark Jedi at the site of the cave and was witnesses by Jorj Car'das, who had been kidnapped by the Bpfassh, and later healed by Yoda. This encounter also left behind the beckon call that Luke finds in the Thrawn trilogy, prompting Artoo to send him to see Lando.

ps. is there something in the air this month that forces people to misspell things in the thread titles?
    Dagobah!

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    i thought i read that the cave on degobah was created when yoda defated an old dark jedi with white hair that was sent by the emporer to hunt yoda. who was he? C'boath? Dooku? puzzling...and will it be in episode 3? i doubt it, but still a relevant question. oh, and i hope i'm not repeating a topic...

C'boath was not that Jedi. He was on another planet, or the clone was, the original had died a while ago. That Jedi was from another planet, and Yoda was tracking him. Some of the events are recounted in the Hand of Thrawn Duology.

6. cthulhu-spawn

cthulhu-spawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2004
    Indeed, this Dark Jedi was Bpfasshi, a race of people who suffer from a deficiency in vowels which often leads to insanity on their parts.

7. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    lol. Yeah, that was the race.

8. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    lol indeed. If you read HoT and Car'das's account, it would be a movie in itself. As opposed to a 20-minute saber / force fight, it went on (IIRC) for 2 FREAKING DAYS (no flaming intended, just going for emphasis). It could be that both Tales and the Dark Jedi are correct; that's why the Aura is unusually strong, and why the Disciples of Ragnos went for it first.

I was under the impression that the Dark Jedi was not a Bpfasshi, but a Jedi who went loony on the Bpfasshi, which is why the sector doesn't like Jedi.

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I, for one, would have something of a Major Problem with *two* different Yoda-types confronting *two* different Dark Jedi on *two* different occasions on the very same identical patch of swamp.

It was an interesting enough story (one of the better ones in that issue), but the sheer concatenation of coincidences that this brings up makes the whole point one of such pure ludicrosity that it may as well be elided.

Apart from which, "Minch" and Yoda being one and the same contradicts The Empire Strikes Back. Yoda was a full-on Jedi Master one hundred years *prior* to this story, whereas "Minch" from the story is a mere hotheaded apprentice, replete with plait.

Ain't a bad tale, but it falls under the "Journal of the Whills" rubric.

10. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Its just one of the many cases in which Zahn uses like 40 different things to weave into the SW galaxy to make it his own. Interesting how Jorj Ca'das ends up everywhere? How, his storylines encompass like 12 different centuries? How he has 6 books with another soon upcoming, etc.

Ugh. I couldn't stand Survivor's Quest and how it had so many plotholes in it, and I'm not exactly eagerly waiting for the Outbound book.

Agh, sorry to get OT.

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Ain't a bad tale, but it falls under the "Journal of the Whills" rubric."

What do you mean by that, exactly?

According to the ANH novel, and WEG Movie Trilogy sourcebooks the "Whills" are the ones chronicling the history (...and compiling together other historians works), and are the ones that came up with the scrolling text in the films.

"Journal of the Whills" is not an infinities concept, but rather a canon one. Where as the Minch story is infinities, and non-canon. They shouldn't be compared with each other.

12. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    (Think I might've gotten misinterpreted slightly, there.)

Only meant it in the sense of an impromptu, nonchalant, offhand descriptor of peculiarity -- casually tossing the "Whills" reference around, since we don't truly know much of anything about them.

Nothing seriously meant, in other words.

One of those Star Wars stories that don't fit into the continuity in any appreciable sense, and which I now stack alongside the "Car'das" story as one possible fuzzy mythological "variation" on what could've happened on Dagobah, the same as with all other conflicting accounts...looking upon on it as a misty, distorted batch of legends-cum-quasi-herstories from "a long time ago, in a galaxy etc. etc. etc."

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    C'baoth was aboard the Outbound Flight Project, which happened way before the Clone Wars ever started.

He had a cameo in Cloak of Deception. Cheap, but cool.

14. Master_Cilghal

Master_Cilghal Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2004
    it was not c'boath he died in corusant's orbit SPOILER EDITED

15. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    That Episode 3 spoiler is not pertinent here. Better edit it out if you can.

On the topic, how is Bpfasshi pronounced, Ber-fass-hi?

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    That's how I've pronounced it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.