main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Yoda Change Needed

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I am hoping one day George will release a version of Yoda in the OT that finally has him CGI like he is in the PT. He looks so fake in the OT, and also like he has aged another thousand years. It would add some nice consistency to the saga. Anyone else agree?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  4. Skywalker Thing

Skywalker Thing Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2013
    You're going to get slaughtered for this, kid. My answer is a definitive no.

Garris Shrike and Team Padme like this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ignoring the whole change debate, I'm amazed that anyone thinks Yoda looks fake.

6. Skywalker Thing

Aug 31, 2013
    Me too. In the OT Yoda looks as if there is an actual person inside. I'd challenge anyone to denote a scene from the PT where he looks better, but the truth is that you couldn't.

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh] I've been a Star Wars fan for a long time, I knew this was going to happen lol. But I think my reasons are validated.

8. Skywalker Thing

Aug 31, 2013
    Because?

Garris Shrike likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I think the PT version looks much more realistic, and it looks weird for Yoda to have aged so much in only 20 years.

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    There's something charming about old practical effects. Puppet Yoda, like the original stop-motion Kong, has an odd charming quality about him that you just can't quite put your finger on. Then, there's something you have to consider. How would the HD of modern CGI look if it was prominently shown in the resolution of an early 1980's film? Could it be done? Or would it turn out like another crappy ANH Jabba, where the CGI doesn't fit because of the resolution differences?

11. Skywalker Thing

Aug 31, 2013
    Well, if you believe that that is your prerogative, but myself and I strongly believe most others disagree with your opinion. There wouldn't even be a "consistency issue" if George wouldn't have been so eager to use CGI and just left him as a puppet.

Garris Shrike likes this.
  12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    How is a puppet supposed to fight Dooku and Palpatine?

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Without a lightsaber, preferably. ;)

I prefer the real looking human-operated puppet Yoda.

14. Skywalker Thing

Aug 31, 2013
    You and I both know that those fights didn't need to happen at all. And on top of that, they conflict with the more pacifist Yoda that we knew up that point. Remember, "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

Hell, even Lucas himself was quoted back in the 1980's as saying that "Yoda is different from a Jedi Knight, because he's a teacher, not a real Jedi. And Yoda is like a Guru, who doesn't go out and fight anybody. And Yoda wouldn't be any good in a fight, against someone like Darth Vader."

Garris Shrike, JediWheelz and TX-20 like this.
  15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well obviously he changed his mind, and I think those Yoda fight scenes were very necessary. I don't see how anyone couldn't like them.

16. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Yoda Vs Palpatine was pretty good. It had some greater significance to the plot, and had some decent comedy moments too (the guards being taken out, Palpy's roll over the chair)... The comedy in the Dooku fight seems less intentional.

17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Ye gods, leave it be.

18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Darkslayer If I may, it's because they're "faster and more intense." For me, many times in the PT it feels like the spectacle overwhelms the feeling/meaning of the movie. The duel in Cloud City is good because of the cinematography and what's going on between the characters, not because of flashy moves or the volumes of stuff being hurled with the Force.

This is something that seems to increasingly pervade films (not to mention TV and games too). For me, the 'tone' of SW was set by the OT. Would the fight between Yoda and Palpatine, as played and shot, be at home in the OT? Would the Mustafar duel have been shot differently if done in 1986?

For some people, that development in style isn't a bad thing. I can accept the PT (especially the latter two films) for what they are... but at the same time, it can be hard to reconcile the PT and the OT. For me, the 80s-ness feels more realistic. This could simply be familiarity and nostalgia, but it could also be that (for example) real things blowing up really do strike the mind as more real than fake things (take for example the space battle in TPM - mostly models and real explosions - vs. the space battle in ROTS. I vastly prefer TPM. I might even like stoned original TPM Yoda more than the CGI, much of the time).

EDIT. To be fair, I do like the CGI additions to the ANH battle. An important factor here is whether the shots and the movements of the objects/characters look like things that could have been done without CGI. If they are obviously impossible or over-the-top, that's a negative in my book.

19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    So agree! This would be my ultimate wish for the next special edition.

Yoda in the PT looks like a real, living, breathing creature. Yoda in the OT looks like a puppet.

I could. Every scene in the PT actually. Yoda's movements in the PT are smooth, fluid, and lifelike. Yoda's movements in the OT are stiff, bouncy, and puppet-like.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    OT Yoda is the best! What I don't get is why the puppet in TPM looks so different from the classic one?

And they could have maybe had Yoda as a puppet fight Palpatine, but it just wouldn't have been so frenetic with Yoda flipping around and whatnot. I mean does all that stuff actually help Yoda or is it just an easy way to make the fights look "cool"?

21. Skywalker Thing

Aug 31, 2013
    It still conflicts with his character in ESB and ROTJ though. Yoda was a pacifist who warned Luke against aggression. A total 180 was made to his character during the PT just to make him look and do "cool things". I don't think anyone who saw him before the PT envisioned that only twenty years prior, the pacifist Yoda, was participating in multiple battles, duels and jumping around like a CGI cartoon. In fact, multiple EU material supported the idea that Yoda was supposed to have been on Dagobah for much longer than twenty years, but I digress.

As far as the fights themselves go, that's fine if you like the duels, but the movies could have gone on without them, especially the AOTC one. There was zero reason for it to happen as Dooku was done fighting at the point at which he arrived and was done just to show off graphics. I personally hate both of the duels because besides Yoda's character inconsistency, all I see in those fights when I watch them are CG filled light shows.

Garris Shrike and kubricklynch like this.
  22. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I have no issues at all with puppet Yoda being replaced by a CGI version in all new copies of the OT because he'll never be altered on my blu-ray version so I'll never have to ever see it.

I don't care if a CGI Yoda would look better....Puppet Yoda IS Yoda (IMO ;) )

23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    How was Yoda was a pacifist in the OT? He was training Luke to kill Vader. Luke chose not to fight in the end despite Yoda and Kenobi's instructions.

24. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    "Wars not make one great."
    "Your weapons, you will not need them." and then "Remember your failure at the cave." (Luke's failure being taking weapons and expecting confrontation everywhere, raising his weapon unprovoked, etc.)
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

He trained Luke to defend himself if he needed to, but it was Obi-Wan who put the emphasis on killing Vader. Yoda warned that Luke could become like Vader, but if I recall, he (unlike Ben) didn't say that hope was over for the galaxy if Luke was unwilling to kill Vader.

Yunners and Skywalker Thing like this.
  25. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Dooku would had killed Anakin and Obi-Wan, if Yoda didnt arraived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.