main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda (D) - The Krayt Dragon of JG?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by russelguppy, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    Has anyone actually got their hands on a Yoda (D) card from the JG expansion yet?
    He seems impossible to find, most of the online retailers who sell single cards don't even have him in stock!

2. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I pulled one in the last pack I bought but still have not got to play him. I think he will guarantee a character victory, but having only one makes it hard to build a deck around him.

The next time I play and draw Yoda, I'll tell ya how it went.

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I hate to brag, but I got 3 in the 2 boxes I bought. :)

My friend bought about 10-15 packs over time and got one.

He is a good card, I have a whole deck built around him, but it is not as easy as you would think. It is imperative to get him out on setup or have a long game to make it worth getting him out over several turns. I combine him with the Jedi Younglings retreated to generate force and Even Piell, to boost Yoda or himself as needed. I also pack 4 Seek the Council's Wisdom and always have enough force.

The weaknesses are that he costs so much, and your opponent can choose to concede Character. Sometimes this works to your advantage since he can generate force each turn, but other times it is just a waste of build points you desperately need elsewhere. Another huge weakness is the Executioner cart in Ground which taps to prevent Yoda from using evade. Also the Maul that has this feature built in is killer too. My friend usually has enough executioner carts to tap a few turns before I can kill it, and then beefs up on battle cards to do sever damage on helpless Yoda. I have lost him in one turn this way. Even Hero's Dodge is not enough sometimes but I placed Obi F in there to help if this situation comes up.

Overall, it is a fun deck to play and I win with it more than I lose. Here is the decklist:

Total Cards 60

Char 15

Yoda D X 3
    Yoda C X 2
    Even Piell X 2
    Obi-Wan F X 2
    Jedi Youngling X 3
    LIN Demolitionmech X 3

Ground 12

Forward Command Center X 3
    Captured Reek X 2
    Republic Attack Gunship X 3
    Jawa Sandcrawler X 2
    Yavin 4 Hangar Base X 2

Space 14
    Obi Wan's Starfighter A X 2
    Obi Wan's Starfighter B
    Luke's X Wing A
    Luke's X Wing B
    X Wing Attack Formation X 3
    Jedi Starfighter Squadron X 3
    X Wing Red 3 X 3

Battle 14

Hero's Dodge X 4
    Pilot's Dodge X 3
    Pilot's Speed X 2
    Anakin's Inspiration X 3
    Starfighter's End X 2

Mission 5
    Seek the Council's Wisdom X4
    Jedi Council Summons (would have 2 of these if I had 2)

4. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    There really isnt any card that isnt more rare then another, Wizards puts equal cards in packs, it just pure bad luck that you havent drawn one :p ;)

5. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    Then why is the Krayt Dragon so prized compared to other rares?
    I mean, a Krayt Dragon is probably worth more than (insert rare card other than Yoda D here).

6. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Then why is the Krayt Dragon so prized compared to other rares?
    I mean, a Krayt Dragon is probably worth more than (insert rare card other than Yoda D here).

Because it it a great card, most people usually want 8 of these cards and use them, rather then trade them away. So in effect there is an equal amount of them, its just that less are available for trade or to buy :)

7. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I have suspected that some rares are morerare than others too. Out of me and all my friends, we have bought at least 3-4 boxes worth if not more and only 1 Krayt out of all that. I understand the not trading problem, but it does seem impossible to pull and I seem to pull 2-3 lame rares in every box.

8. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    I haven't had a problem finding Yoda (D) cards... about the same as most rares... though I'll brag a little about the PHENOMENAL foil pulls I got in 1 box of JG... Yoda (D), Sidious (C), Maul (E), Aurra (B), Obi's SF (B)...

However, in my entire gaming group of 5, I think we've accumulated 12-15 Krayts between us since its release. Frankly, I think it's very hard to find, and, IMO, bumped Luxury Airspeeder to second... the rarest of the uncommons.

9. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    Yeah the luxury airspeeder is way too hard to get for being an uncommon! lol I haven't had too much trouble getting krayts, guess i just got lucky there.

10. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    I wasn't very thrilled with the "A New Hope" expansion, so I only bought about 175 cards or so. Out of those, I only pulled one Krayt Dragon.
    I've had a semi-hard time finding the "Jedi Guardians" set (all the Wizards stores near me have closed down and the only one left only stocks up to "A New Hope") so I have not pulled a Yoda(D) yet, but I'm hoping to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.