main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point_Of_View, Aug 31, 2017.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    DR was a good book within the clone war program of the....old EU, but common to say that he is better than Luceno and Stover. That bull. I'm going to stop here because I'm going to say something that is going to get me banned. What I will say is that GL (in peace he may rest......star wars is now Disney's) had a lot of input in the novel. He wanted the novel to be a different version of the film.

And Point_of_View- I love Luceno a lot, probably the most descriptive writer in the entire EU both new and old. You may not like him, but don't, just don't put that book DR against him. LOE easily kicked butt and is the best pre-movie tie in novel ever. Darth Plegius is a master of a book. And yes, I did like the Revenge of the Sith novelization a bit more than the movie because when you add LOE and the following book after it, it forms a nice trilogy. Stover's book Shatterpoint was a deep thought book that basically and essentially tells you why the jedi will lose the war.....it wasn't lightsabers and force powers and technology..............it is in their ideals.

Why bring this back up? We got all these new books to talk about and were going to say that DR was better than Stover ad Luceno? On books that......stop stop and I'm stopping!:mad:

2. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    ?
    I like Luceno a lot. And Stover is mostly too melodramatic for me, but occasionally he writes something great (like the RotS intro section where he describes the younglings of the galaxy talking about Obi and Ani.)

But as for Lucas's input on the RotS novel, I doubt it was as much as is claimed, because Stover does too much fixing of stuff that ain't broke (becoming a master gets Anakin access to some temple files- a dumb solution to a problem that didn't exist.)

only one kenobi likes this.
  3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    We're a Star Wars literature board not a canon literature board. We can talk about whatever books we want. Someone is always going to be discovering books, old and new, and people are always going to talk about books they read, even if they read them a while ago.

And yes, DR is better than anything Luceno ever wrote that I've had the pleasure, mis or otherwise, to have read. And the original Clone Wars cartoon season two was way better than LOE.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Slater and Point_Of_View like this.
  4. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    I actually picked up Dark Redezvous for £3 used. Still need to read it but heard plenty good about it. Still need to read the Dark Horse Clone Wars titles which I hear are equally better than TCW too which I did enjoy greatly. :)

SWpants, Point_Of_View and Darth_Duck like this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The DH Clone Wars stuff was pretty good stuff. You're in for a treat when you finally get to read it.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

6. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    In addition to unparalleled depictions of Yoda and Dooku, YDR also gives us fantastic takes on Ventress and Sidious.

The former is so delightfully deranged.

The latter? Well, I'd say Stewart arguably captures the essence of Sidious better than any other writer. Most prequel-era works depict Sidious as the cold schemer of TPM. And while that is indeed a facade of the character, Stewart understands that the "real" Sidious is the one we see in ROTJ: a petty, hateful bully. The cloying mind-games he plays with Dooku throughout the book are chilling.

The OCs are also great: I'd put Scout and the droids up against any non-movie SW literary character and say they hold their own. Just awesome.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  7. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Dark Rendezvous is easily in my top five Star Wars novels and could very well be at the top. It was so well-written. I've found that it has held up to re-reads better than a lot of SW novels.

I would absolutely love to see Stewart invited back to write more and am always curious why he wasn't when there seemed to be nearly universal acclaim for his book.

8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm reading YDR for the first time and I love it so far. I'm exactly halfway through; hope to finish asap.

9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I love this book and the strongwilled character of Tallisibeth "Scout" Enwandung Esterhazy... but also Yoda and Dookus relationship of Professor X and Magneto really is a gem we need to see more often.

Only Dooku, as Yodas Padawan, knew the Grandmaster well enough to subtly and indirectly manipulate him for Palpatine like not even Palpatine could. Dooku's own reasoning and agenda, his reasons for his actions really were well done in this book and add a lot to ROTS and his end, especially how Stover wrote it expanding the movie with a lot of insight.

I wish new canon would pick up those dynamics and insights in some way with an equally skilled author.

Maybe in 10 years or whenever we reach FACPOV styled short story anthologies for the PT finally after TESB and ROTJ are done.

But one certainly needs to continue the epic exploration they did in Master & Apprentice and Dooku: Jedi Lost post TPM and through AOTC till ROTS.

Iron_lord and Sable_Hart like this.
  10. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Xammer and Alpha-Red like this.
  11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    This wasn’t a bad book, and I really did like that conversation between Dooku and Yoda where Yoda tells Dooku he would catch him if he fell.