main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

yoda "dies" in Episode III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by jedi4500, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi4500

jedi4500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    anyone think that yoda is supposed to be believed dead in episode III? maybe after fighting dooku or something the emperor and anakin think he is dead?

2. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
  3. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I think Palpatine will have something special planned, only to have someone mess it up and not tell Palps through pride.

4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I think Yoda will sneak away to Dagobah, and everyone will believe he's dead. Even Kenobi won't know, until ESB.

5. Greedos_a_bad_shot

Greedos_a_bad_shot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    That sounds right because it would be a huge oversight on Palpatine and Vaders part if they let the head of the jedi council live, but I do believe Obi-Wan will know he's alive even though he doesn't mention him until ESB.

6. Ragnar_nWo

Ragnar_nWo Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    But if Kenobi doesn't know where Yoda is, or at least that he is alive how does he know where to tell Luke to go. If Yoda manages to sneak away from that bastard Dooku, Palpatine, and Anakin without ANYONE knowing, how will Obi-Wan later tell Luke where to look for Yoda?

7. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    How will Obi know where to tell Luke to look for Yoda?

Well he is dead now and one with the Force so he probably knows some things he didn't before.

Obi could have known about Yoda during ANH, or not, either way works.

8. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Maybe something in the force actually entraps Yoda on Dagobah so that he can't leave.

Either that or Palps did something to him in Ep III that shook him up REAL bad!

9. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    I beleive everyone will think Yoda is dead (maybe not Ob1, but who knows).

Notice in the OT how Vader never mentions Yoda. And when he's talking to Luke it's always: "Ahhhh...OB1 has taught you well..." when really, OB1 is as dead as the Macarena. It all tells me that Vader beleives Yoda to be dead. :D

10. jedi4500

Mar 12, 2002
    so that being agreed upon, that yoda is presumed dead, anyone think any other jedi will be presumed dead, but live....Mace Windu, perhaps? any others?

11. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think (and hope) that they will all be dead except Yoda and Obi Wan. Mace needs to die, that way the destruction of the Jedi is more personal to the moviegoer.

It does make sense that Yoda would have to appear to 'die,' though. Otherwise the Emperor would have the entire galactic fleet looking for him.

12. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    George and Sam have both repeatedly talked about Mace's death.

13. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think Yoda will be believed to be dead by Palpatine and Anakin as they don't mention him in ESB.

14. Technocratic

Technocratic Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Remember, Yoda said:
    "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be"
    so I don't think any others will survive.

I guess it's possible that Yoda might not know, but I think the dark side shrouds, and not the light, so he should be able to tell if there are any more left.

Although if Yoda can hide without Vader and Palpatine detecting him....

I think I'm arguing with myself!

15. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    He doesn't have to appear dead. Remember the cave? Well my theory is that palpy can't find yoda because there is balance in the force there with him and the cave. Also remeber there are tons of lifeforms there too. That doesn't help in the search.

And Mace dies. All the jedi die except for Ob1, Yoda. That's it. Vader exterminated the rest.

I think he goes to hide on Dagobah for one of two reasons:

1. the remnants of the council say "Look, you'll be our last hope to train the skywalker twins." or "your the best and you need to get your @*# outta here."

2. Yoda has a vision and he knows his future purpose: to later train luke. His revealtion shows him he's gotta get outta there cause Vader's powerful.

16. jedi4500

Mar 12, 2002
    i think if the emperor knows yoda survives iam pretty sure he would have bounty hunters, etc. looking for him, he wouldnt want anybody to ruin his plans...yoda is the most powerful jedi....

17. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Here's how its going to go down. Yoda and Anakin go to kill Dooku By a cliff. They do it but Anakin turns to the Dark-side in the process. He starts to fight yoda and kicks him off the cliff like a football. KBut yoda levitates himself to a ledge that anakin cant see.. Anakin looks over and doesnt see yoda and thinks he is dead.

18. rich_meister

Mar 22, 2002
    That's a great idea but couldn't anakin sense that sort of thing. Just like when Vader sensed Obi-Wan was aboard the Death Star. He'd have to sense that the best jedi was dead.

19. theUnknownjedi

theUnknownjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I think Vader attacks Yoda and he's knocked out cold and Vader assumes he's dead and leaves.

20. rich_meister

Mar 22, 2002
    How does he knock him out tho? Does he hit him with the blunt of his lightsabre. That'd be like trying to kill a fly with a bat.

When you think of Vader's fighting attributes you think power. Yoda you think quickness. How does he knock him out? I just don't see it happening.

21. Master_Vincent

Master_Vincent Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    In the ROTJ novel The emperor is questioning Luke about who completed his training:

Emperor: "There was one called... Yoda. An aged Jed... Ah, I see by your countenance I have hit a chord, a resonant chord indeed. Yoda then."

Then the Emperor asks if Yoda is still alive and reads the answer through Luke.

This seems to show that the Emperor knew that Yoda was still living. He probably thought Yoda would soon die of old age and not be a threat. Or possibly, he knew Yoda would be a tough fight to destroy.

22. Naked_Jango

Naked_Jango Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    I think that Yoda will have to appear dead in the eyes of Vader and Palpatine. Maybe a huge Mind Trick? Hey, Yoda is the best, right?

As for the Jedi, Vader will probably destroy most of the Jedi, but not all. Boba Fett will have to kill Mace, as a poetic justice or revenge plot. "My name is Boba Fett. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Or, if Fett doesn't Vader will, and Fett will fall in line with Vader in that sense.

I believe once the Jedi realize they're all going to die, they scramble with the intent of all of the survivors reuniting at a certain locale once things are cool. But that never happens. Yoda runs to Dagobah, Kenobi to Tatooine, others to various systems. There is never a Jedi reunion, because they all died with the exception of Kenobi and Yoda.

23. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    I believe it will be portrayed on-screen that Yoda meets his fate (perhaps in the destruction of the Jedi Temple or a starship?). But, the current audience will know better.

However, years down the road, when folks watch Episodes 1 ~ 6 in that order, they will be surprised when Yoda lives in ESB.

24. Lando_System

Lando_System Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    When Luke says "There's something familiar" of Degobah, I take that to mean he had been there as a child and didn't quite *know* it. I firmly believe that when Obi-wan is hiding the twins, he will consult Yoda. On Degobah.

25. TheLurkerII

TheLurkerII Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    I don't think that Yoda has to fake his death in Ep III. I think that once Palpy and Anakin get together with control of the senate and their grand army they develop their trademark "overconfidence" (it's their weakness remember). They obviously are going to kill off most of the jedi, and in the process make them look worthless in the eyes of the people. Hence only one generation later you hear -dont frighten us with your sorceror's ways lord vadar, you're sad devotion to that ancient religion etc. etc. Once they get control of everything, they dont see yoda as any threat to them, so what do they care if he's dead or in hiding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.