main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda/Dooku Relationship: Betrayal?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HowardMarcotte3, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HowardMarcotte3

HowardMarcotte3 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2005
    Why doesn't Yoda seemed betrayed by his former apprentice who turned to the dark side, Count Dooku? It seems that this should have affected him more. Look how much it affected Obi-Wan when Anakin betrayed him. They do not delve into this in the movies. Any suggestions?

2. solo-da-man

solo-da-man Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005
    Yoda don't play that emotion game, yo. He's all deep and stuff. Like he told Anakin in RTOS, "Learn to let go." So Dooku turned around and stabbed a bruthah in the back? Move On, yoda says. There is more important things to tackle. Like takin' out the master sith. That's who yoda need be sweatin'

3. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    That reply is surprisingly good despite the ya'll tone :D

4. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Well Obi and Ani were basically brothers and have been together for more than 13 years, Yoda wasn't Dooku's direct Master.

Good Stuff

5. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    True, Obi-Wan and Anakin were much closer.

"You were like a brother to me! I LOVED YOU!!!"

6. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Good Stuff

7. Darth_Morhs

Darth_Morhs Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2005
    I think that Yoda and Dooku had been together a long time ago, like back when Dooku was about Obi-Wan's age in TPM. So by the time Dooku had trained Qui-Gon, Yoda had already trained a few more probably, or just been focusing on the Younglings and such. So by the time Dooku turned to the Dark Side, Yoda didn't really care for him anymore, and it was probably a while before AOTC that Dooku turned.

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The answer lies in the colour of Yoda's lightsabre. :p

The Jedi of greatest import in the Star Wars saga, in no particular order, are: Yoda, Luke, Obi Wan, Anakin, Qui Gon, Mace Windu and Ki Adi Mundi. Of those, only the triumvirate of Jedi closest to enlightenment - Qui Gon, Yoda and Luke - were wielders of green sabres. It's so simple.

More seriously, it is indeed as solo-da-man has said. It takes something very big to knock the emotional wind out of Yoda's sails; like, say, the annihilation of the entire Jedi Order and execution of his "children". And when I say "children", I don't mean younglings - I mean the very Jedi OF the Order. Although it's never stated as such, Yoda seems to implicitly be the oldest and longest-serving Jedi of the entire Order. When he clutches his chest during the Order 66 montage, he isn't just feeling a massive disturbance in the Force, but the sudden and vicious slaughter of his family. How he retained any kind of balance or shred of sanity after that is one of the inherent mysteries and profoundly admirable qualities of Yoda.

9. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Because Yoda deals with Dooku for what he has become, what he is, not what he was.

It's the same reason that he can without drama send Obi Wan to fight Anakin
    and go to face Sidious. It is what they are, not what they were.

10. IBO-NAW-NAYAS

IBO-NAW-NAYAS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    Yoda just had way more emotional control. He had to concentrate on killing the traitor and let go for what is done is done, rather than being all
    "Dooku you were my brother..I LOVED YOU'

Plus like others said, he trained Dooku long time ago and probably wasn't as attached as Obi and Ani were.

Good stuff guys realy interesting thread!

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Yoda probably felt like Dooku was a well respected master like he was but chose to go to the dark side for his own personal reasons. Let us remember also that Yoda cares for all Jedi and Dooku wasn't the only Jedi apprentice Yoda had. There were other Jedi on the Council who were once Yoda's padawan as well, such as Mace Windu and countless others

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yoda's some 800 years old. In Dark Rendezvous he says something regarding all the Jedi he knew that died over the years, or turned to the dark side. Seeing Dooku turn would not have been anything new to him.

13. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    The book Dark Rendezvous informs us at how Yoda feels about Dooku's betrayal. Excellent book! Wonderful portrayal of Yoda and Dooku! [face_dancing]

:mad: Blast Palps!! Yoda was sooooo close! :_| [face_shhh] Won't say no more.... Let me juz say that Yoda is NOT an unfeeling individual. :( Not at all.

14. Master_Anakin1

Master_Anakin1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2005
    Yoda grives in his own way.

I think he feels deeply saddend that a great studient and Master of the Saber like him has turned.

I wonder what made him turn?

15. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    In Labrynth of Evil Yoda mentions about why Dooku left the Order... but as to why he turned we can only speculate. The man wanted to right the wrongs of the Republic the the Jedi were to complacent...to 'set in the old ways' to make matters better. So when he left (with the rising of the corruption and Qui-Gon's death) he prob strove to find what all ways he could better the Republic. I am sure that Palps got wind of the 'great' Jedi Master who had left the Order and got wind as to why. He probably sought out Dooku - and since the ex-Jedi became a system ruler (and Serenno being a part of the Core Worlds in a sense) he made contact with the newly Count and talked with him.

Who knows what that talk was about...but we can all be assured it eventually led to the talk and the want for power got to Dooku. He always wanted more and strove to be the best. Yoda mentions that, I do believe in Dark Rendezvous at one point.

His lust for power got the better of him as it did with Anakin...amazing that those two did have some things in common. They both wanted Justice...and wanted more when they should not have. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.