main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Yoda in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by yassir.khan, Apr 5, 2016.

1. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    Yoda burnt down the tree to signify the end of the Jedi but later Luke says that Kylo is wrong about the end of the Jedi?

Not sure what they were shooting for there, the scene with Yoda probably should have been cut.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Okay yeah, I didn't understand Luke's comment at the end there. So he wants the Jedi to end or not?? Maybe someone can fill me in but right now it seems like there's a missing link there.

I really liked the scene with Yoda though he looked bad.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yoda was saying don't get stuck in the past. You know things better than what is in old books. Find a new path.
    It was all part of waking Luke up and making him think clearly.

Seagoat likes this.
  4. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    The Jedi aren't a new path though, they're an ancient religious order.

5. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Another example in the Star Wars saga of a missed opportunity to actually make something EPIC out of a "cameo"/bit-part/supporting actor or whatever you'd call it. A bit like the difference between Obi-Wan i ANH and Obi-Wan-a-point-of-view in ROTJ...

Yoda both looked like and acted like a cartoon! You can re-create Tarkin/Cushing to that level of detail but not give the right look and feel to a puppet or CGI-Yoda, probably the most beloved (alien) character and already thoroughly mishandled by Lucas in the prequels.

Why not extend that scene by another 3-4 mins and really give us the juice on why the Jedi Order failed (both the old and the new) and continue the tradition of the OT with a more philosophical approach to the Force.

And regarding the books in the tree - Yoda was all in on it, as I understand... Yoda knew that Rey had taken them when she left Luke - the books are revealed to be aboard the Falcon at the end of TLJ! So the lightning act (and speech) was a mere diversion by Yoda.

6. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    One of the better things in TLJ was the Yoda scene. Yoda was saying to Luke, stop worrying about the path that came before (like the ancient Jedi text in the tree) and instead make your own path. He didn’t actually mean the Jedi should end full stop, only that the last interpretation should. The next incarnation of the Jedi (whatever that may entail) must be something different, which learns and evolves from the mistakes of the past.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yoda looked surprisingly bad (I actually think that even original hideous Phantom Menace look was better) and acted a bit weird, but I think it is natural that Yoda has changed since he is no more living person but part of the Force now- he knows more now and apparently things were not just like the jedi believed- there is more in the Force than jedi teachings of old. Still Yoda saying that old jedi texts are not page-turners sounded like it's from some Star Wars- parody more than serious SW-film. Never though we would hear such a thing in canon- Yoda's book reviews needs to become a thing now.

8. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Yoda scene was hilarious and one of the standout moments for me. Watching him trolling Luke setting fire to the Jedi tree while cackling was worth the admission fee alone.

"Read them, have you? Page turners, they were not." Haha, I was crying.

Also, Yoda probably knew Rey had already taken the books. Even with that, she knows everything she needs to. It was a heartwarming scene of the two of them where Yoda basically tells him to let go of past failures.

jaqen, wobbits, B3 and 2 others like this.
  9. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005

If Ghost Yoda can do that imagine what Ghost Anakin can do. I'm here for Ghost Anakin showing that the Death Star was nothing compared to the power of the force. Bring it already.

wobbits likes this.
  10. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Yeah, can WE be the judge on whether those books were page-turners or not? You know, by publishing them, maybe? Del Rey? Chronicle? Bueller?

11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    No... Yoda did not do that to signify the end of the Jedi. He did to empahsize to Luke that he doesn't need that tree and what's in it to pass on what he has learned. It was an awesome moment.

Avnar and themoth like this.
  12. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    But he did not pass on what he had learned? After that moment he helped the rebels buying some time (which could have been done by pretty any other random plot action also) and then just dies.

13. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Yodas Performance was just a best off his Empire scenes.

14. Darth Camp

Darth Camp Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Yoda was good, but I wish they would have used a puppet. I could have done without the burning bush

15. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    So now that we know that force ghosts are capable of blowing stuff up, what's stopping them from being more active?

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think ghost Yoda didn't necessarily summon that lightning- maybe he just foresaw that lighting will hit and had fun with it:yoda:

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Wasn't it a puppet already?

18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Rey took the books with her, you can see them in the Millenium Falcon. When Yoda says to Luke "There was nothing in that tree that Rey doesn't already have," he's being witty. I am sure he knows she stole the books.

19. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Its not only the lighting. He hits Luke in his forehead with his staff. It seams that Jedi ghosts had changed their abilities and can do whatever they like to.
    Why he pops after 30 years? not know, doesnt matter. We can expect anakin, obi, yoda and luke to pop out in any moment and do stuff, because theres no more universe logic. Why they did nothing for 30 years? who cares? I dont expect Disney to explain me anything.

Obviously Disney doesnt give a crap about anything, and they are turning this into marvel as fast as they can to milk the cow as much as they can.

20. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Just because it hasn’t happened before doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

There was no Force speed or whatever it was called in the OT that they showed in the PT.

Midichlorians anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I have no problem with that- we can always say Luke just hallucinates- and there is nothing but him and burning tree. If you watch The Clone Wars series (which is canon) there is entire magical planet of Mortis and Force-magic goes farther than anything in this movie.

Also in ESB Luke cuts of ghost Darth Vader's head in the Dagobah cave- head that turns out to be his own, meaning he physically interacts with ghost even in OT. Obi-Wan also sits on Dagobah tree in ROTJ- what abilities ghosts have and have not have never been fully revealed- it seems that their interaction with real world is severely limited though but lightning striking and burning down the jedi texts is natural phenomena that may also be non-related to what Luke is seeing- I think we can interpret this scene either way.

22. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I thought he looked weird at his very first appearance and I found it jarring and disappointing, but in the closeups I felt he was just like his Original Trilogy self. I quite enjoyed it!

Dak Oolron and forzaskywalker like this.
  23. Quiff_vs_Sith

Quiff_vs_Sith Jedi Master

Jan 22, 2009
    _ _ _ _

Thanks for mentioning that Rey took the books. I missed that when I saw the film last night. Still, the upshot of that could be that Rey is destined to repeat the previous failures of the Jedi UNLESS she does also heed what Luke explained to her about those failures.

24. Quiff_vs_Sith

Quiff_vs_Sith Jedi Master

Jan 22, 2009
    I welcomed seeing Yoda in TLJ and, to be honest, I'd have to re-watch the film again to really take-in everything he said. Still, I thought Yoda didn't look quite right. At times it looked as if he was physically actually there rather than being a Force Ghost. Whether that was intentional or not, I don't know.

25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well rey said Luke cut himself off from the force, so maybe that's the reason why Yoda never appeared to him

Dak Oolron, wobbits and themoth like this.