main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Yoda in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by yassir.khan, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I honestly can't see the "Yoda was acting out of character" thing. I thought he was the Yoda we've seen in all the films, except perhaps TPM (in which he was completely serious and somewhat cold).
    I think I brought this up in this thread before, but I think people are forgetting that Yoda always had a sense of humour - not just when he was pretending to be someone else in front of Luke.
    "When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not."
    "Lost a planet, master Obi-Wan has. How embarrasing. How embarrasing."

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    @Eternal_Jedi: I get that that was probably his reasoning, but I think his reasoning was flawed. It wasn’t a matter of storytelling. It was a matter of his (the fan’s) emotional connection to the characters and how he preferred it, based on that connection.
    From my point of view, it would’ve made perfect sense to have Hayden in the scene.

I appreciate the scene for what it is, though.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    ImpKnight and DARTH_BELO like this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think many expected yoda and Luke would communicate to fit lukes maturity and progression but instead yoda appears like abit of a practical joker like his early scenes of ESB and its just a side of yoda that may not fit the scene?

It probably fit the emotional nostalgia of what they were going for though.

ImpKnight likes this.
  4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yoda has always been a bit mischievous and had a sense of humor, not merely his first scene in ESB. Take, for instance, him calling out Obi-Wan in front of a bunch of kids in AOTC.

"Lost a planet master Obi-Wan has! How embarrassing!"

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Forgive me if this had been discussed previously-but I'm at work and I don't have the time to page thru 18 pages of posts. Still this one thing bothered me:

Did anyone else notice that Yoda's force ghost was not transparent? All the other force ghosts we could see thru. But not this one. I enjoyed everything else about him appearing, but I have a hard time looking past this one inconsistency...am I missing something???

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    From what i read they apparently didn't wanna transparent him because they didn't wanna lose any of the high detail they had put into the puppet.

7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    "When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not."----- Not giggling and kicking his feet.....

"Lost a planet, master Obi-Wan has. How embarrasing. How embarrasing."------ Spoken to a class of 7 year olds.....

There are no other scenes beyond his reveal in ESB, nor in the PT where Yoda acts like he did when he didn't want Luke to know who he was. Perhaps a couple of lighter lines where he shows a sense of humor, but not nearly the same.

The Last Jedi scene is way more "pre-reveal Yoda" than "Jedi Master Yoda".

ImpKnight and ezekiel22x like this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002

Look a 00:51. It's right after he delivers the "when 900 years old..." line.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Which is odd as that is what I would have recommended. If you are only going to use the puppet face and not replace or enhance it with CGI then you get stuck with the rather immobile puppet face that made it distinctly weird compared to the PT Yoda.

In essence it's the same problem with the TPM puppet. Many thought the problem there was the design but this shows that it's not that but simply that it's a puppet.

It would perfectly fine and far better than Yoda ever could. It'd really tie thing together nicely. Yoda works alright. Maybe have both of them. Anakin gives the emotional aspect and Yoda the history one.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  10. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I don't expect its "I agree Yoda is out of character but I don't mind" is what people who like the scene are saying. They're saying "I don't agree Yoda is acting out of character". Its not a given he's acting out of character and, from what I've seen, the reaction to this scene is not a 50/50 split, but higher on the positive end.

11. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Excellent post and so seemingly obvious. It never ceases to amaze me that the people who profess to know the most about SW and the characters have the hardest time understanding either.

12. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    I honestly didn't care what Yoda was saying (and when I dwell on it my head starts to hurt). Just having him and Luke together again was amazing and completely caught me off guard. That visual of their silhouettes sitting together watching the burning temple, I can't even put into words how it made me feel.

In a film that I really disliked this was a powerful moment. Truly magical. I literally yelled out "oh ****" when they showed the camera panning past Yoda to introduce him, and had a huge grin on my face the whole time.

themoth and Nate787 like this.
  13. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Maybe this is how he was able to do the lightning thing; because he was more part of the physical world. When you’re a see through ghost, you can’t manipulate physical matter

Character growth/development?

<runs away>

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    There was a moment in this appearance where Yoda laughed out loud and he sounded almost sinister. I thought Rian was going to trick us by having it be Snoke. He had set up the Snoke was facilitating the communications between Rey and Kylo beforehand so I thought anything was possible.

Part of me almost wishes it had been Snoke undercover.

ImpKnight and JorakUln like this.
  15. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    The whole point and I why I personally didn't like the Yoda scene, is that Yoda is there to "explain away" why Rey is not a Mary Sue.

It's the WILL OF THE FORCE.

Rey already knows all the books there even when Luke didn't bother reading them all. This is so bad I'm just going to stop...

16. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    You think that's the same behavior as in The Last Jedi?

17. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    That is absolutely not the point of the scene.

No, Rey took the books with her. Yoda says that she "has what she needs" not that she knows everything.

18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Really poignant scene, with Luke finally woken up and calmed down by his true Master. Sitting down and finding solace despite everything that has transpired. Two friends....it’s really special.

19. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016

Lol. How in God's name did you watch that scene and come to that conclusion?

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The weird looking ghost puppet took me out of the scene even before Yoda started up with the goofball persona again. Not to mention how the casual willingness to destroy the tree came across as a violent action unworthy of a Jedi. All in all I thought it was a terrible scene.

21. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think the negative opinions about the Yoda scene is proof that the ST could never please some. In a world where TESB was never released, Disney could unveil TESB and the Internet would be going wild about how it undermines the mythology and destroys the characters

22. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    Some of the complaints are so downright bizarre that you wonder if they even saw any of the other movies.

23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    No.... Yoda knows Rey took the books. She doesn't know them already. If you're gonna be snarky, at least have the facts.

theraphos and Ricardo Funes like this.
  24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    It struck me that if Luke had not felt so deeply ashamed of his behavior, Yoda could have helped him. Luke felt the weight of his responsibility so intensely, it was good to see him with someone who understands and can tell him not to take it so hard.

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    No need for that tone. I didn’t understand that Rey had taken the books either, until one of my friends pointed it out, so I also took Yoda’s line as meaning “Rey already knows it all”, which felt like... too much.

If that’s true, then... Wow.
    Yeah, screw continuity. We have a detailed puppet to show off!