main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda living on Coruscant is wrong.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    In ESB, Yoda lives on a world that is simply chock-full of all kinds of wildlife--both flora and fauna. Also in this movie Yoda tells Luke (regarding the Force), "Life creates it; makes it grow." How appropriate for the Jedi Master to live on a planet that is literally crawling with life.

The antithesis of Dagobah, of course, is the Death Star (and, on a smaller scale, the Star Destroyers). These are completely artificial environments with no plant or animal life in evidence. They are the very illustration of the word "sterile".

So where does Lucas have Yoda live in the PT? On a big sterile planet that looks more like the Death Star than anything else.

Lucas should have had Yoda living on Dagobah in the PT. It would have been the perfect hermitic home for him. There the most promising of Jedi would go to be trained by the wisest Jedi Master of them all.

2. darth_rastan

darth_rastan Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    your a bit of a Strilo edit: No flaming. you know.
    lucas cant have placed thejedi council, the ultimate power in the galaxy( at the time) on some dinigy little swapy planet that know one wants to go to. it's just stupid.
    just cause yoda lives on a planet with virtually no wild life, doesn't mean he is rejecting the force, he is just fulfilling his jedi duites!!!

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reasoning at all Binary_Sunset

I strongly feel this is nothing more than an excuse to bash TPM.

St

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Binary_Sunset, if Yoda had lived on Dagobah at the time of the Prequel Trilogy, he would be isolated from the rest of the Jedi and not able to help.

Obviously he doesn't need to deal with such a problem in the CT because there aren't any other Jedi around.

Besides, even if Coruscant is full of metal and such, it is also full of life--think how many people must live there.

Besides, part II, if we saw Dagobah again and again in the PT, it would make the CT less unique. I for one prefer a PT that is as different from the CT as possible in terms of things seen, effects and images used, characters, etc.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    eidiot? I'm not sure, but I think I've been insulted.

In this scenario, Yoda wouldn't be on the Jedi Council. He'd be a crusty hermit on Dagobah who didn't have time for anything social beyond training the most promising Jedi.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Why would have prefered him that way? He's a jedi master. Why would he spend his time on Dagobah as a hermit? It doesn't make any sense.

St

7. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    "He's a jedi master. Why would he spend his time on Dagobah as a hermit? It doesn't make any sense."

Look at many of the religious icons of religions such as Christianity, Buddhism, and Hinduism. Very often, the most spiritual and wise of monks would be hermits living in faraway places. In fact, it was so common that the motif is often used in comic strips: Think of how many times you've read a strip in which a character climbs to the top of a mountain and asks a hermit a question.

8. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    I think your idea certainly has merit, Binary. I always pictured the Jedi as ranger type characters, that is, a loose collection of force users who generally guard the galaxy on their own. If there was a Jedi Council, it would meet like every so years or so (if they were rangers).
    Keeping Yoda on Dagobah would keep his mystery alive. Hopeful Jedi would be able to seek him out quest-like, and he could train who he felt was worthy as he wished.

9. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    "I always pictured the Jedi as ranger type characters, that is, a loose collection of force users who generally guard the galaxy on their own."

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I don't like the bureaucratic feel the Jedi Council has in TPM.

10. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Nope, I had no problems with Yoda on Coruscant (what I do have a problem is that the bloody planet is so hard to spell :p). Probably because I read EU and all, and in Zahn's books it was implied that Yoda went hiding in Dagobah. It was not his home.

Just MHO :D

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    I prefer the way Yoda has been so far in the PT. I don't really think it would be that interesting for Yoda to be only on Dagobah throughout the PT.

ST

12. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Though I'm a basher, I have to agree with ST on this one

:D

13. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Coruscant is not the opposite of life it's just not a swamp planet. It's actually teeming with life and beauty. It's very artistic and the inside of the Jedi temple is very serene.

I think your fault Binary is that you are not open to the new ideas that the prequels have to offer. Of course it's not going to be the OT all over again. So I pity you Binary because you are too closed minded to enjoy the new films.

14. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    You know, there's no need to flame Binary. We can disagree with the idea without making refrences/personal attacks to the one making the idea.

Anyway, perhaps the 'beauracratic' nature of the Jedi is the one leading to the downfall. Even in the OT, Yoda sounded a wee bit proud, saying that its his own counsel to decide who should be trained.

Just MHO :D

15. woody_1138

woody_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2000
    I find it hard to believe that 3 years later people are still finding new ways to bash this film.

There's a new Star Wars film out that is full of new things to whine and moan about. Or is Binary one of those people who think that George has made AOTC better because he listened to all of his whining and moaning for 3 years? :)

(sigh) If only all directors had an unappreciative fan-base to lead them on the path to success. Every movie would be bloody brilliant. :)

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Perhaps Yoda did not spend that much time ON CORUSCANT until the shadow of the Dark Side began to fall, requiring more and more of his time... ever consider that?

17. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Hey, good idea Binary. I hated Corusant in TPM but I did feel it was much better in AOTC.

18. Arachnophilia

Arachnophilia Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2002
    dagobah may be teaming with life on its surface... but is it a mile in the air?

coruscant is packed vertically with people. a mile or so in the air. and probably just as deep. yeah, there ain't a lot of plants and animals (and god knows where they get their oxygen from) but there SURE is a lot of life on that planet.

19. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Binary, I don't disagree with your logical assessment on jedi and their environment, but I look at it quite differently from you. Yoda and Mace are aware of their weakened use of the force in AOTC, and therefore Yoda's hiding planet being Dagaboh (as well as the training of Luke on the planet) shows a new understanding of the force and its teachings.

20. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Could we please try to refrain from flaming people, just because they don't like someone's idea? sdj and darth_rastan, consider this a warning.

Anyhow, I have to admit I rather like the idea of Yoda living on Coruscant. I think it contrasts nicely from Coruscant, which is at the centre of the galaxy, the most important planet in the Republic, where Yoda held a very important position, to Dagobah, which is right at the other end of the galaxy, not a very hospitable planet, where Yoda is living a hermit's life. Or something. But Coruscant, like Dagobah, is full of millions and millions of life-forms, but the only difference is that in Coruscant, they're slightly more civilised!

21. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Coruscant has a lot more life than Dagobah. And I don't think the analogy about the holy man on top of the mountain is valid. The Jedi were never portrayed that way. They're the guardians of peace in the galaxy. They have to be right there in the middle of it.

22. Wingless

Wingless Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    I kind of agree with Binary on this. The important thing is not how much life is on these planets, but what kind of life. On Coruscant it is all hustle and bustle. It's stressed people with mixed up values. There's political backstabbing and stuff and everyone's out for themselves. Generally it's a nasty place. On Dagobah, Yoda was living with the animals. It was real nature. It is a much more serene place.

From a story telling point of view there's nothing wrong with Yoda on Coruscant. It makes sense, the Jedi temple is there and he is the boss. But from a sybolic/character point of view, it kind of cheapens Yoda. In ESB he was more like the Taoist master. He was immersed in life and lived from a real religious spirit and inner strength. He certainly didn't care about any silly social ladder. But that image has gone, now he is more like a politician/administrator. He's at the top of the social game and I sense no real religious depth in him at all. He seems nothing more than a grumpy old school master. Another problem is that it seems that he just sits on his smelly green butt doing nothing when he could be out there helping the galaxy.

I'm hoping that Yoda learns something in the course of the PT that provokes a character change and gives him the wisdom to make him what he is in the OT. Having said that however, I still love the little guy, and the PT too.

23. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I think all these notions people have about Yoda being some Taoist monk type are just preconceptions. Yoda went into hiding, period, just like Ben. I always assumed that in the times of the Republic they were in the center of the galaxy, around people.

24. Sithchilde

Sithchilde Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    Whilst I have no problem with yoda being on Coruscant, I'd hardly call the identification of Yoda in TESB as being some sort of Taoist monk a "preconception". I mean, firstly, for it to be a "preconception" it would, by definition, have to be an idea that people had BEFORE seeing Yoda for the first time. For example, Luke obviously had a preconcieved idea of what Yoda would be like before he saw him.

Secondly, I think the way in which Yoda was presented, his manner and his language (as well as his teaching style) was quite deliberately set up to follow the styles of Eastern philosphy.

25. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    I'm a little confused, but I don't think I agree with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.