main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda living on Coruscant is wrong.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Yes yes...to ElfStar you listen.

;)

2. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    This topic is almost as lame as one of mine.

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    The R2 topic will sadly remain the lamest, Duckman [face_mischief]

*bashes topic*

:p

4. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    hey, at least my r2 topic was based on fact, unlike this vile collection of lies :)

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Are we even sure the little greenie LIVES on Coruscant? Maybe the Council assembles on Coruscant but lives elsewhere.

6. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Coruscant is Vatican City and Yoda's the Pope.

7. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Has anyone posted a "Yoda living on Dagobah is wrong" thread in the classic trilogy forum? I think they should :)

Oh yeah, the CT forum is so boring cause everyone there loves the films???
    Sometimes I wonder why I bother coming here . . .

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    LOL that's actually a funny idea!

9. Duckman

Jan 21, 2000
    But who would have the courage to post such a radical topic . . ?

:D

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    It make sense If YODA lives on couscant he lived with the jedi at first. Remember in the empire strakes back he said for 800 years have I trained jedi my own council I tech?

11. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Unlocked and up, by request.

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Why would the most powerful and wise Jedi Master be on an isolated world? His role was to see over the affairs of the Jedi Order, how could he possibly do this from some isolated planet in the outer edges of the galaxy? It really makes no sense if you think about it.

13. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Dashman is right.

There's nothing that states the Yoda we see in ESB *has* to be the Yoda we see in the PT, which includes his environment. This seems to be a case of the PT being different from what someone wants it to be.

14. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Quix,

Thanks for unlocking and upping this thread! It has been an interesting read.

Of course Yoda and the rest of the Jedi council would live on Coruscant. It's the capital world of the galaxy and they would want/need to be in the middle of things to protect the galaxy and the Republic.

Yoda lived on Dagobah in the OT because he was in exile. It is probably the world that is farthest away from Coruscant, other than the worlds on the Outer Rim.

Lady Sami

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Yoda living on Coruscant is wrong.

What do you mean Lucas got his own story wrong? This kind of logic baffles me.

16. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    It's more a less a contradiction in some ways.

17. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yeah this topic is a joke.

The logic of some people baffles me as well. Why does it make sense for a Jedi master to live in a swamp? If the Jedi are the guardians of the galaxy during this era then shouldn't their leader live among them in the galaxy?

I guess he does resemble Kermit the frog who as we know lived in a swamp before making it big. Yoda just did it in reverse.

18. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Puzzling this is.

19. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I've been giving this thread a lot of thought and I have decided that Binary is 100% RIGHT. I used to think the idea was just interesting but now I think it just makes sense.

Let's look at Dagobah. When I was reading sonme SW material I came across a production sketch where the trees on Dagobah were alive. ANother great sketch showed Yoda surounded by lizards and winged creatures and he had this remarkable content look on his face.

To extend on what Binary said, Dagobah IS a planet full of life. Corusant is too but in a very different way. Corusant is an artificial world. It is a big city surrounded by technology that seems alive. Dagobah IS alive though. The trees, swamps and air are thriving. EVen Luke makes a point of the huge life readings in his X-Wing. While "corusant is one big city", Dagobah is one big life form. I even like to think Yoda chose Dagobah because of its organic life and his very presence perhaps encourages life.

Yoda's character is all about "anti-technology". He mocks Luke's little torch and throws all his equipment around. He messes around with Artoo. Nothing about Yoda suggests he enjoys or condones technology in TESB. Luke insists on taking his weapons for instance while Yoda encourages him he doesn't need them. Yoda had evolved beyod the need of lightsabers and blasters. It is npot in his character to use a lightsaber like we saw in AOTC. Further he seems against war in general.

To contrast, The Emperor is surrounded in technology. He uses it to build Death Stars and ENCOURAGES Luke to take his lightsaber. Darth Vader is a mixture of good and evil. He is also a mixture of man and technology. I am not saying technology is evil but it seems that to be totally strong with the force, like Yoda, one does not need it. The Emperor seems to thrive on it.

What is even more disturbing is Lucas' statement that the dark side is stronger. This is, perhaps, a statement made by a man who does not give his own work enough thought. How could the SITH be stronger when the light side prevails. Everything in the OT suggests that it is good and PURITY that leads the light side to victory. The very fact that Lucas ignores his own rules from the OT means that Yoda's character in the PT can't have had tpoo much thought involved. Who would turn a creature that is one with life and purity into one that leads clones and big machines to destroy? It is NOT in his character to act in this way and it is not in his character to live surrounded by technology.

Yoda living on Corusant is wrong. Somehow I feel Lucas doesn't understand SW anymore.

20. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I thought the whole idea though was that the Jedi, Yoda included, are getting it wrong. I think Qui-Gon was closer to getting it right. Which could be why he is the first Jedi to hold onto conciousness after death in some way. He had the biggest connection to the living force. After what befalls them in episode 3 they need to take a long hard look at themselves and get back in touch with the true meaning of the force.

And while some people may not like it. Gl is the creator of SW. It's his to do with as he pleases. Maybe we just read way too much into it. I don't like some of the choices he has made, but to suggest that he doesn't understand his own world is pushing things a bit far.

Edit- sorry. Didn't mean to trot out the patronising don't you realize that as GL created SW he can do what he wants defence. I wish he had done certain things differently too. I just think it's time to draw a line in the sand, not to the extent that Rebel Scumb did, just that at the end of the day, these are just films. It saddens me that to me a lot of the magic that was in the OT is missing. I still really like the prequels. It's just, they could have been so much for for me. But nothing I can do is going to change that and I would rather try to appreciate them for what they are. I certainly don't believe that GL is the sure fire genius I once thought he was but so what. I still can't wait for episode 3.

21. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I've been giving this thread a lot of thought and I have decided that Binary is 100% RIGHT.

Now there's a shocker.

Yoda's character is all about "anti-technology".

This was Yoda's character in ESB. Honestly, do you want him to remain a static character throughout all six episodes? Doesn't it make sense that Yoda's character arc would include his rejection of technology to embrace the living force? Of course, it is also possible that Yoda simply fled to the most backwater planet he could find to escape Darth Sidious and Vader.

To contrast, The Emperor is surrounded in technology.

And we see in the story that this is how the Jedi started. I think it is a valid observation that the Jedi don't seem as in touch with the force at the start of the prequels, but I'm certain this is by design. I mean, think about--they use technology to determine someone' potential (scanning for midichlorians), they use technology to test a Jedi candidate (Windu with the holographic picture thing), they live on a planet surrounded by technology, their vast knowlege is stored in an electronic library, they use analysis droids for investigative purposes, and only when the technology fails do they seek the help of living beings (as Obi-Wan does when he goes to speak with Dex).

My point is, we're seeing a Jedi race that has forgotten who they are. In the prequels, only Qui-Gon seems to be truly in touch with the force and speaks of the living force, but even he is somewhat relient on technology. This is the Jedi order that was blind to the dark side, that couldn't see the evil sitting right under their noses, who has grown complacent and weak. This is in stark contrast to the simple, world weary Jedi we see in the original films. This is not an oversight, it is character and story developement. There is a logical progression here.

Yoda living on Corusant is wrong. Somehow I feel Lucas doesn't understand SW anymore.

Well, it's obvious somebody here doesn't understand STAR WARS, but ain't Lucas, my friend.

22. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>>Yoda's character is all about "anti-technology". He mocks Luke's little torch and throws all his equipment around.

:confused:

Doesn't he take Luke's little torch, obviously loving his new little toy that he's found, and then refuse to give it back?

>>>Nothing about Yoda suggests he enjoys or condones technology in TESB. Luke insists on taking his weapons for instance while Yoda encourages him he doesn't need them.

That's a twisted way of looking at that scene, IMHO. He tells Luke that what's in the cave is "only what you take with you."

Luke taking his weapons to FIGHT what's in there is his failure. Not taking technology in with him.

Nothing about Yoda suggests he has rejected technology in ESB. It's clear that he's on that planet, which doesn't appear on any star charts, because he's hiding. You don't get big cities and man-made technology on an unchartered planet.

>>>Yoda had evolved beyod the need of lightsabers and blasters. It is npot in his character to use a lightsaber like we saw in AOTC. Further he seems against war in general.

It seems to me that his anti-war stance is a direct result of having been pulled into the war that set up the Empire.

>>>>To contrast, The Emperor is surrounded in technology. He uses it to build Death Stars and ENCOURAGES Luke to take his lightsaber. Darth Vader is a mixture of good and evil. He is also a mixture of man and technology. I am not saying technology is evil but it seems that to be totally strong with the force, like Yoda, one does not need it. The Emperor seems to thrive on it.

And yet, as he has no moral objection with using the Force to attack, the Emperor doesn't need a lightsaber...

>>>>What is even more disturbing is Lucas' statement that the dark side is stronger. This is, perhaps, a statement made by a man who does not give his own work enough thought. How could the SITH be stronger when the light side prevails. Everything in the OT suggests that it is good and PURITY that leads the light side to victory.

And the fact that Yoda and Obi Wan have spent 20 years hiding from the Sith, who managed to wipe out the Jedi in the space of a single generation, suggests that they were hiding from them because they couldn't face them. Why else?

Did Vader not really spend most of the OT talking about the POWER of the Dark Side, despite already knowing what the Jedi knew about the Force? Did I dream that?

>>>>Who would turn a creature that is one with life and purity into one that leads clones and big machines to destroy?

Darth Sidious!

23. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Some of you guys may need to remember that who Yoda is in TPM chronologically supercedes who he is in ESB.

Just because he was living in a swamp and had apparently done away with all material goods in Episode 5 doesn't mean that's exactly how he was in Episodes 1 and 2. Yoda's environment in the PT establishes his character. He obviously goes through some changes, perhaps in a philosophical sense as well as an environmental one, between the PT and ESB. Sorry guys, but that explanation makes a hell of a lot more sense. We're seeing Yoda near the finish line of his marathon, not the start or the middle.

If you make this argument for Yoda, you might as well go ahead and make it for Obi-Wan, since in 1977, well gee, he's living in a small hut with very few technological gadgets. Once again, it's confusing the real-world movie release timeline with the in-universe timeline.

This appears to be nothing more than someone twisting the story so they have another excuse to complain about the PT.

Somehow I feel Lucas doesn't understand SW anymore. [face_laugh]

24. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Some would call it an evolution of the character or even character development, and I tend to agree.

25. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    I think it is a valid observation that the Jedi don't seem as in touch with the force at the start of the prequels, but I'm certain this is by design. I mean, think about--they use technology to determine someone' potential (scanning for midichlorians), they use technology to test a Jedi candidate (Windu with the holographic picture thing), they live on a planet surrounded by technology, their vast knowlege is stored in an electronic library, they use analysis droids for investigative purposes, and only when the technology fails do they seek the help of living beings (as Obi-Wan does when he goes to speak with Dex).

My point is, we're seeing a Jedi race that has forgotten who they are. In the prequels, only Qui-Gon seems to be truly in touch with the force and speaks of the living force, but even he is somewhat relient on technology. This is the Jedi order that was blind to the dark side, that couldn't see the evil sitting right under their noses, who has grown complacent and weak. This is in stark contrast to the simple, world weary Jedi we see in the original films. This is not an oversight, it is character and story developement. There is a logical progression here.

Good and interesting thoughts.

Why would Yoda/the Jedi Council live on Coruscant? Here's my explanation: The Jedi lived to serve the people. They were dedicated to helping the general public (by working as diplomats etc.), they weren't hermits - the Sith (prior to their coming out of hiding) were hermits. So it makes sense that the Jedi had their headquarters where the most people were - on Coruscant. If you want to help the people, it makes sense to be where the people are, doesn't it?

And "from a certain POV", Coruscant was teeming with life, too - the only difference being that it was all sentient life, not animals and plants. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.